Author Topic: THIS WEEK 7/27 IN THE AN WORLD  (Read 7928 times)

LADavid

THIS WEEK 7/27 IN THE AN WORLD
« on: July 27, 2008, 10:53:50 am »
So it's sort of a quiet week this week.

First up, Kathleen (Kathleen5306) will be heading to Los Angeles from Denver to have a Translab courtesy of the House Clinic at St Vincents Hospital.  Then she'll be spending some R&R time here in Southern California.  Kathleen, the weather has been pleasant here -- low 80's -- high 70's on the coast -- with a lot of sun.  So make sure to bring those heavy-duty sunglasses.  Best wishes for a very successful surgery and a speedy recovery.  And if you're still around when I have my MRI on the 5th, I'll try to get by and see you.  Who knows, we may bump into each other in Dr Stefans office.  Will someone be updating us?

Next on Friday, Jim Scott has his two year MRI.  Best wishes for that Jim.  Hoping for a big nothing.  I am sure you'll let us know.

Good luck to both of you.  Have a great week everyone.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kathleen5306

Re: THIS WEEK 7/27 IN THE AN WORLD
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 11:08:55 am »
David-

You are amazing.  A great travel assistant, weather forecaster and group communicator.  I think you are way underpaid in this job for the forum.

To everyone who has helped me get where I am today, thank you.  To all of you who will be thinking of me, praying for me and wishing me well on Wednesday, thank you.  My husband and I will fly to Los Angeles tomorrow.  Tuesday is all of my preop stuff and Wendesday is the big dance.  My husband, Marty, and my bestest friend, Maggie, will both be providing updates to the forum and to my CarePage.  I am making sure I hold up last week's tradition of excellent results.  Team Wendy, Anne Marie and Marci are a tough act to follow!

To distract me a bit tonight, my 10 year old daughter's competitive soccer team is playing an exhibition game before the Colorado Rapids  Soccer game(our professional men's team) in the big stadium that seats 20,000 people.  She will look so small out there, but what an experience.  I am glad I am home tonight to see it!

All the best,

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:15:09 pm »
First things first: good luck to your daughter in the big soccer game!

Then, best wishes to you for your surgery and recovery. No need to compare yourself to others; each patient gets to blaze their own trail through the process.

As for David, we will double his salary yet again, though it doesn't seem to help much. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:20:25 pm »
Hi Kathleen-

Have fun at the soccer game!  BTW, so glad to see a photo of you - great to have a picture to go with the voice.  You'll be in my thoughts Weds.

And, Jim, you know I am going to be thinking about you this week as well.  Be sure to enjoy that seafood dinner with your wife - hopefully all the news will be good.

David, you rock.  What more can I say?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:47:37 pm »
David:

Thanks for the mention.  We all appreciate your diligence in your new role as keeper of the AN treatment calendar schedule.

This MRI has been postponed twice (1. doctor not available to consult with me. 2. MRI machine broke) so I'll be glad to get it done.  I expect it will show shrinkage and necrosis, as was noted on the last MRI (December, 2007).  I'm making a big effort to see my neurosurgeon this time so he can explain the MRI to me in some detail.  I believe he'll only require an annual MRI after this one.  I presume he'll also give me the quickie neurological exam he usually does, i.e. "follow my finger", "walk heel-to-toe", "stand on one leg", etc.  I think he's going to retire soon so I wanted to see him one more time.  After this, a phone call from his successor (a bright young lady neurosurgeon he's been training) telling me "everything was O.K." and maybe answering a few simple questions about that year's MRI scan will suffice. 

To make the 60-mile round trip more interesting, after the MRI and doctor consult, my wife and I are going to celebrate our wedding anniversary (our 38th) with a delicious lunch at a unique seafood restaurant located on the Connecticut shore that is a longtime favorite of ours.  Frank Sinatra once dined there and so have many other celebrities that were performing in the area.  It's very popular.  This is what I'll be thinking of when I'm encapsulated in the clunking MRI machine.   :)  I'll be sure to post the results when I have them, probably late Friday or sometime Saturday. 

Of course, my best wishes and prayers will be with Kathleen on Wednesday, as will those of so may others, I know.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:49:10 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 06:17:47 pm »
Kathleen -

good luck with your surgery.  Don't try to "outdo" those who went before you.  While it's wonderful that last week's "candidates" did so well,  you'll find your own recovery "pace" and you'll do just fine.  As I'm sure you already know, House has an excellent reputation; you're in good hands. 

I hope you and your husband get to spend some time enjoying LA.  It's been a long time since I've been there, but from what I recall it's a nice place to visit. 

Jim -

good luck with the MRI - like everyone else here, I'm hoping it's totally uneventful.  Congratulations to you and your wife on your upcoming anniversary - you sound like the perfect couple and I'm glad you've made it to this big milestone - it's not an easy feat. 

And last, but certainly not least, David.  As Kathleen said, you're amazing!  ;)  A big thank you for agreeing to take on this job.  I'll be more than happy to put in a good word for you as far as the salary goes, but as Steve said, doubling it wouldn't do much good.  You'll just have to settle for our undying gratitude.  I'm sure I'll say it many more times before 8/5, but best of luck with your own MRI. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:05:49 am »
Pirate sox washed and ready for both your daughter's big game and for your surgery!  Good thoughts coming your way
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:14:27 pm »
Hey guys, thanks for the kudos -- I'm happy to be able to do it and enjoy it.  But I am concerned though, it sounds like my doubled salary make not be happening :o.  You tell them Phyl, I'm getting untold riches for taking this on.  Right, Phyl?  Phyl?  The check's in the mail, right?  I can keep the Aston Martin, right?
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:39:18 pm »
David -

You have a Aston Martin  ???  :o

I'm partial to Jaguars myself, but I can make exceptions.

You are single, right?  ;)  LOL

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:08:35 pm »
Jan
In my dreamworld where I live on my huge ANA Forum salary, I have an Aston Martin.

In my reality world, I have a SUV with two flat tires that's parked at a friend's restaurant in the Valley and has been there since the day before my surgery.  That ol ugly reality comes a creepin round.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:36:02 pm »
Jan
In my dreamworld where I live on my huge ANA Forum salary, I have an Aston Martin.

add my forum Mod salary to that, since I lost it since the Angels are winning the series over the BoSox... and you can now own the leer jet as well! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 06:37:55 pm »
Advice to David -

stick to the dreamworld - it sounds like it definitely beats "ol ugly reality"  ;)

Jan 

LADavid

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 09:29:06 pm »
Hey Jan -- It's the dreamworld that gets me through this mess.

And Phyl...what can I say?  I was shooting for a best of but I got a sweep.  Yeowch.  That double Mod salary will really come in handy.  No more cheap Aston Martin for me.  I'm shooting for a Maywood with a driver to whisk me off to my Leer.  Say, this dreamworld stuff really makes that reality stuff look dumb.  Dave?  Dave? (Twilight Zone music).  Are you still there? Dave? *Dave hops in the back of his Maywood.  "So Jake (the driver).  Big night tonight.  Got a date with Heather Locklear.  Got the directions to her place?  (Jake nods).  Good."  Dave eases back into the Maywood leather and sips on the Cristal.  "Life is good," he thinks to himself.  "Got the big ANA bucks and the Angels sweep the BoSox.  What more could I ask for?"*

Ugh, reality strikes.  Time to pop the Hot Pocket Calzone in the microwave and tune into the Simpsons.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30:37 pm »
Damn, David.  You are one good writer  :D

BTW, I didn't realize Heather was out of the psych ward so soon  8)  Give her our best.  ;)

Jan

LADavid

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 11:33:46 pm »
Hey Jan

I actually know (have met) Heather.  She is one of the sweetest down-to-earth people in this business.  I really feel for her.  I worked with her on Melrose Place and the New Love Boat.  Of course, off the set, in any conversation I attempted with her, I came off sounding like some babbling idiot.  Heather!  If by some wild stretch of the imagination, you're lurking on this site, please give me another chance!  You remember me, I'm the babbling idiot.  I carried on semi-intelligent conversations with Pam Anderson and Jenny McCarthy.  But when it came to you....

David (the babbling idiot)
BTW, in case you all didn't know, Heather is a tiny thing, in real life Pam tries to play down her enhancements, and Jenny doesn't.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.