Author Topic: I'm freaking out -- but just a little  (Read 5546 times)

wendysig

I'm freaking out -- but just a little
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:02:01 pm »
Hi all -
Let me start by saying that my surgery is scheduled for the day after tomorrow.  Yesterday I got an e-mail from Dr. Choe (my wonderful  neurotologist) telling which building and floor I needed to report to at Mt. Sinai on Friday.  This was good news because I wasn't sure exactly where I was supposed to go once I got there and Mt. Sinai has several buildings.  Today I got a call from Dr. Chen's assistant (he is the neurosurgeon) telling me to go to a different building a block and a half away from the building Dr. Choe mentioned.  When I questioned Dr. Chen's assistant she was very insistant she was right.  I called Dr. Choe's office and have not yet heard from them.  I've sent Dr. Choe an e-mail and hope to hear from him tonight if for no other reason, letting me know he or his assistant are on top of things.  It's amazing how little is took to shatter the calmness I was feeling. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  There, I feel a little better  Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so what did you  do?

Wendy, Trying to breathe in NYC

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: I'm freaking out -- but just a little
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »
Wendy,

Breathe!!!  Did any of your Drs give you a mild tranquiler?  Worked wonders for me.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:09:07 pm »
Hi Anne Marie -
Nope, no tranquilizers.  When I saw Dr. Choe and Dr. Chen a few days ago I was in my calm and serene phase which has now been rudely interrupted.  No need for tranquilizers then. 

Wendy -- Still brying to breathe
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:25:11 pm »
It's okay to feel a bit like you're coming unglued.  I'd say that most of us were on a pretty thin thread 48 hours before surgery.  You'll hear from the wonderful Dr. Choe soon, I've no doubt.  Just keep breathing and remember that in 48 hours, you'll be on the "other side" in postie-land.  You'll probalby feel like poop, but you will have gotten there! 

I know you are a strong person. Wendy - but it's okay to be scared and freaked out from time to time. 

Sending you a big hug,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 06:11:43 pm »
Hi Debbi-
Thanks I usually consider myself a strong person too.  Having this happen so close to surgery has just thrown me for a loop.  My rational side knows everything will work out but my emotional side is -- I dont't know how to describe what I am feeling, maybe completely off balance.  I guess I am a control freak after all, never thought I was before now.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cmp

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 06:21:23 pm »
Wendy--

I'm not surprised you're feeling rattled--I had pretty much the same reaction when I got bumped (3 days before my original surgery date) and the coordination between the neurotologist and neurosurgeon's offices seemed less than optimal. You're revving up for a very big event in your life, so it's natural to want things to fall into place and to feel very unsettled when something goes amiss that hadn't even been on your radar.

The important thing to keep in mind is that things WILL fall into place! As Debbi says, you'll be hearing from Dr Choe soon, and you'll know exactly where to report on Friday!

Many healing thoughts are being readied for transmission to you then!

Best,
Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:36:04 pm »
Wendy -

at this point, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that your surgery will come off without a hitch on Friday and that at this moment there is an OR already scheduled in anticipation of you, Dr. Choe, Dr. Chen, and various other medical personnel being in it.

This is just a communications glitch.  It sounds very similar to Anne Marie's conflicting information about local vs general anesthesia the morning of her recent surgery. 

Although it's somewhat unsettling, and definitely aggravating, it's better to be facing this today than bright and early on Friday morning.

I'm confident that Dr. Choe, or someone in his office, will be figuring this out soon and will be clarifying things for you.

In the meantime, hang in there; relax; everything will be fine.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:57:44 pm »
I wish you all the luck and you are in my prayers. I cannot imagine the fear you are going thru right now....for all the right reasons of course. I did the radiation route....(very nerve racking also) especially since I'm in the 6month mark (swelling) arrrgghhhhh....

You will be fine sweetheart and when you all said and done let us know how you are feeling...... ;)
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

lori67

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:45:23 pm »
Wendy -

I'm sure they'll get you where you need to be.  Take a deep breath.....you'll be okay.

I did quite well remaining calm up until the night before my surgery.  Two of my sisters were flying in from Jersey to help out with the kids - they were supposed to get into Nashville around 9pm.  Their flight out of NJ was delayed, so they missed their connecting flight in Altanta and couldn't find another flight out until the next morning - when I was supposed to be knocked out in an operating room!  I had no idea what I was going to do with the kids at that point.  We had only lived here for a little while and didn't really know anyone I could ask to take a 4 year old and a 9 month old.  I was a mess!  I wound up going to my neighbor and asking if there was any way she could help - her daughter offered to skip her college classes that day to help me out until her Mom got home from work that evening.  In the end, my sisters found a flight that got them into Nashville at midnight and since I was so wound up I couldn't sleep anyway, going to the airport to pick them up was no big deal.  I guess the point of that long story was that it all works out in the end.  I don't know how, but it does.

Hang in there!  Stay calm.  Looking forward to hearing good news!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:59:07 pm »
Hi Wendy,

I'm sure it is just a mix up between where your "pre-op prep" and your "pre-pre-op prep" are to take place - or something like that. :)

Advanced best wishes on your surgery, too.

Hey Mindy, how much swelling are you experiencing? I notice a little arrrgghhhh in there...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kathleen5306

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 09:01:25 pm »
Wendy

My surgery is next Wednesday.  When the nerves hit me, I always come here to this forum where the stories and support strengthen me again.  I will have you in my thoughts all day Friday.  By Wednesday, I will be shaking in my boots and you will be up walking around in yours!  All the best for you.

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 11:03:29 pm »
Thanks I usually consider myself a strong person too. 

Wendy -

you don't need to "consider" yourself a strong person, because we all know that you "are" a strong person  ;)

Keep the faith!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 01:16:30 am »
Wendy,

You should have see me on Monday.  I was a mess.  Very emotional and restless, I was so grateful my Dr prescribed Ativan for me.  I attacked Louie as soon as he came in the door from work.  I need his arms around me.  I think it was the combination of the tranquiler and the human contact of my husband that calmed me down.  I also had company after dinner and that was a great support.  I  took a sleeping pill before bed but that was useless.

You are a strong person.  This AN just plays little games on us.  We are all heroes in my eyes.  We are so lucky to have this forum and to be able to share our experiences.  I wish I know about this place when I first diagnosed.  I was blind sighted.  You are going to be another postie, who is going to be able to offer advise to others.

As Jan said "Keep the faith".  We are all praying for you :)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 05:35:10 am »
Hii all,

Thanks for all you advice and good wishes and advice. I'm sure you are all right and things will work out just fine.  I just panicked a little when things went awry  I had a problem with the computer last night in the middle of trying to respond to some of your posts. After a good night's sleep -- which I was really surprised I was able to have --it must have been the two glasses of wine I had at lunch yesterday,  I am feeling a little better today.  I'm still feeling a little anxious about the mixup or whatever it is but trying to talk myself back iinto the calm serene state I was in before this happened.  I am hopeful that I will hear something this morning from Dr. Choe or his assistant.  This is going to be a very busy day for me.  I've already packed everything for the hospital because I have grocery shopping and cleaning to do.  A couple of friends are taking me out to lunch again today -- bless my friends and family for keeping me so busy since I got back from vacation last Wednesday!  I am very thankful for all you too -- my AN family who truly understand what I am feeling

Kathleen - I know your surgery is next Wednesday and I am sure you mush be feeling a little anxious right now.  As many of my friends here have told me keep breathing, try to take one step at a time.  We are all with you in our hearts and will be sending our good wishes your way.  I should be home by next Monday or Tuesday according to my doc and will try to check in on you.  I will definitely be sending good wishes and healing thoughts your way.  I wish you the best of luck.  See you on the other side.

Jan, Lori, Carrie, Steve and Mindy--  You certainly have a way of putting things into perspective.  It really helped -- thanks.
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

LADavid

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 05:17:02 pm »
Wendy

If you're still up and reading.  Best wishes for a very successful surgery and a speedy recovery.  My prayers are with you.

And if you're still concerned about the surgery, don't be.  That's the easy part for you.

My best
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments