Author Topic: Vitamin B-12 for Facial Nerve  (Read 6009 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Vitamin B-12 for Facial Nerve
« on: July 23, 2008, 04:21:10 pm »
I am curious as to whether anyone here has a recommended daily dosage of B-12 for facial nerve "repaid."  I know that quite a few folks take it, and my surgeon said he'd read some studies in the medical journals about it, but I haven't gotten a clear idea as to how much per day?

Anyone out there know?

Debbi, fingers on the b-12 bottle
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

Re: Vitamin B-12 for Facial Nerve
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:00:51 pm »
Debbi -

I take B complex (has all the B vitamins in there).  I've heard that it might help with the nerve healing too, but I've been taking it for a while now and no such luck.  I take a regular multi-vitamin and then whatever the bottle of B-complex says to take.  It's different depending on what dosage pills I buy (whatever is on sale, usually!).  I don't know if it helps or not, but I figure as long as I don't overdo it, it can't hurt.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:12:10 pm »
Debbi,

I take B-50 twice a day (after breakfast and after dinner). At lunchtime I take a sublingual B-12 with Folic Acid. I am not sure of the upper limit or the "correct" amount to take but I want to maintain the same elevated B-12 amount in the blood because all B vitamins are water soluble and are excecreted from the body in a few hours. Also, I avoid taking B-12 alone because all vitamins work as a group. I really believe in supplements but diet is really important. B-12 is found in animal products and all vegetarians are at risk for deficiency unless they supplement. Did I hear you mention on Saturday that you try to be a vegetarian on most days? If yes, may be you would like to reconsider this while you are healing? :(

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:10:34 pm »
HI Eve-

Good point on the vegetarian thing.  I actually eat a lot of fish, some chicken and very little red meat.  I'll have to check out some of hte whole grain products I use to see if I can pick up some extra b-12 that way. 

Thanks for sharing your regimen with me - you look fabulous, so it must be working!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 07:44:23 pm »
Hi Debbi,

Thanks for your kind words !  ;D In reality I don't know what is helping but I hope that B vitamins help. There is enough research on that. I am the kind of person that I will do anything to help myself. Diet and supplements are easy; they make me feel in control.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.