Author Topic: Balance Worse After Surgery?  (Read 9950 times)

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
Re: Balance Worse After Surgery?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 07:58:08 am »
Thank you Arushi  for the vestibular exercises,I'll do them this morning ect..see what happens.Always up for something new!Teresa
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 08:03:43 am »
"These exercises (staring at thumb) simulate being able to focus on one object while moving your head and at the same time the background moving faster without falling off balance. "

Now try that was quite the trippy  :-\ experience…  ;) :D thanks for these extras…

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 10:30:51 am »
And, for those of you who are interested, here's a picture of me on the Bosu Ball - right before I had to leap off!  The Bosu ball is really great for working on balance - tough, but great!

I used that too in my early days... it was hard... just keep tring!  the more you do things the better it gets... I'm up to kayaking at night! it was "interesting" at first .. but I'm ok with it now ..but once I get off in the dark .. I'm back to looking like a drunk .. I've spent more like kayaking in the dark than walking !!  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 11:09:34 am »
Karen - thanks for the great exercises - can't wait to try them!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 03:40:35 am »
Hi Debbi,
I know I am just barely getting over surgery, but I have noticed that my balance is definitely worse since my pre-surgical days.   I never needed a cane before and now I most definitely do.  I wouldn't feel safe without it.  I'm reallly looking forward to starting Vestibular threapy and plan to work as hard as possible to get over this hump.  I'm hoping to find a center that can take me fairly soon so if they give me any exercises that seem promising I'll pass them on.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 06:03:17 am »
Hi Wendy,

It's been a while since you posted on your slight balance problems after surgery and am wondering after more exercising for balance how things are going?
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

wendysig

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 08:38:13 am »
Hi Arushi,
I haven't started physcial therapy yet, my first day is tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.  Fro now I am just walking and turning my head up, down, right and left.  I can't say I enjoy the sensations this causes but the doctor says it will help so I do it.  For now I am excited and a little anxious to see what the PT has in store for me.  I have a feeling he has some kind of special torture in mind since he had a big smile on his face when I told him I don't want to be coddled.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!