Author Topic: Need Advice as a Caregiver  (Read 14058 times)

dally1932

Re: Need Advice as a Caregiver
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 05:11:16 pm »
Dear Drained One, I feel like you are describing me to some extent when you describe your husband. While my tumor wasn't as large, it was a life changing experience. I am able to conduct my medical appointments and continue to try new doctors and recommendations. I start bio-feedback starting next week for the chronic pain, from what I have read I am not sold on it but will try it. I didn't have the facial problems your husband had, but I know that in a way I am trying to push my wife away from me, because I feel I have failed her by being on disability, loss of my employer after 26 years, income reduction, and many of the same things you discuss. I feel my wife deserves more than I have to offer. It has been just over 6 years since my surgery and I have a difficult time seeing any improvements ahead. I know the depression very well. I have tried numerous anti-depressants and the side effects make me feel more depressed. While I am trying new things and new doctors, I can understand how your husband feels. You can review some of my previous posts for more details of my journey. My wife and I had a major discussion yesterday, I told her she deserves better and I certainly understand if she wants a divorce. She indicated that is not what she wanted. I told her I could undertand if she did, as I can't expect someone to love/like me when I don't like myself anymore or the angry/bitter person I have become since my surgery. I undertand how difficult it must be for you, as I know how hard I/it is on my wife of almost 23 years.  Your husband is free to contact me, as I share many of his concerns, and I do feel in a helpless situation most of the time.  God Bless you and I hope your husband will at the least, start trying new methods to improve his condition.
Left AN Tumor 6/02/02 1.4 X 1.8

Glenda

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 06:21:29 pm »
Dear Drained One,
I am the one in our family with the AN though mine is small and I am in Watch and Wait of which I am very thankful it has been caught so early.  I do understand where you are coming from though.  My husband was first injured in a motorcycle accident in 1985 at the young age of 26.  A year and a half later he had his first back surgery.  He has since had 4 other back surgeries, his latest June 6.  He has had surgery in Greensboro NC, Duke Hospital, Durham, NC, Columbia, SC, Emory Atlanta Georgia and MUSC Charleston SC.  He has been to two pain clinics, one in Miami Florida where he stayed for five weeks.  He has also had shoulder surgery, double hernia surgery and neck surgery.  After his 3rd surgery and after trying to work and literally crawling up the steps when he got home because he could not walk from the pain.  He was told by his doctor he could NOT work any longer.  He is in constant pain and is taking many medications..... All this to get to the similarities, he went through the same thing your husband is going through.  He didn't feel like the man he should be, he could not provide for me and our three children, he was angry and contstantly taking it out on the ones closest, mainly me but also yelling at our children.  I too entertained the thought of divorce.  He would not listen to reason either and like your husband he was never wrong and was very degrading to me.  Those years were so hard, trying to deal with a sick husband, raise three children and earn a living.  One day I really got fed up and like Raydean I ask him to the bedroom away from the children and  I let all my feelings out and had a heart to heart talk.  I told him none of this was his fault, I loved him and had made a commitment to him for life, for better or worse.  We were going through the worse but it would get better.  I told him I could handle taking care of our children and earning the living but I could not do it alone.  I needed him to be there for me and to help me make all the decisions and that together we could get through this.  That happened fifteen years ago.  He cried during this discussion where I did most of the talking.  I think he too was trying to push me away he has told me many times during the years that I could find better than him.  He did start to turn around after that day.  It has not been easy and still isn't but we have made it and are best friends, sharing everything now.  There is alot we have went through that I of course could not write. It could be a book after all these years.  It has been hard on our marriage with him being injured when we were so young, but we have made it though together and have grown close through all these years.  I really think the best thing for you would be to just sit him down and like Jim said, in a calm way, just talk to him like I did with my husband.  Let him know you NEED him.  If he was always the one to be right,  this has got to be killing him inside and he most likely feels totally unneeded.  Sometimes it helps to try to walk a mile in another's shoes, I can tell from your posts that you are trying to do that for him but he also needs to understand that he needs to do the same for you.  I hope this all makes sense,  I have written fast. I wanted to let you in on some of my personal life in hopes that what we have been through will help you in your situation.  I will be in prayer for you and if you need to talk please feel free to PM me.  God Bless and I will be rooting for you!!!

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 02:45:29 pm »
Drained One:

Just a quick addendum to my previous posts.

I believe that the essence of a solid relationship between a husband and wife is based on the reality that men crave respect from their wives while women crave love from their husband.  Of course women want respect and men want love, but the respective priorities are different.  Not wrong, just different.

A man dealing with the negative ramifications of an Acoustic Neuroma will naturally feel that his now-diminished capacities automatically lessen his wife's respect for him.  In fact, her care-taking, even her patience can be seen (wrongly) as 'babying' him, which he can see as her losing respect for him....'treating him like a child'.  This generates hostility in the man and he immediately withdraws his love from his wife, which, in turn, hurts her and causes her to lose respect for her husband...the very thing he fears.  It can be a vicious cycle.

I would attempt to let your husband know that you not only love him but still respect him.  That his job, physical abilities or appearance isn't why you respect him, it's for the person he is...the man he is.  You must be certain you truly believe this because if you attempt to fake it, he'll probably sense that and harbor even more resentment, the very opposite of your intentions.  I offer this suggestion not as a panacea but as something to consider as a possible remedy to your unhappy situation.  Keeping  in mind the reality that your husband - like all men - wants your respect more than anything, you may be able to use that understanding as a way forward.  I pray that this is so.  Thanks for your indulgence. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Glenda

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 09:06:22 pm »
Jim,

I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement.  Thank you from me!  It always helps to hear a man's perspective.  It is true that women and men think differently so no matter how long you have dealt with a situation you can still learn.

Thank you again!

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness