Author Topic: putting BAHA while having AN surgery  (Read 2559 times)

Pascale

putting BAHA while having AN surgery
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:52:03 pm »
hello all!

Each day that passes, I learn something new and today I learned about BAHA  ;D

I talked to a "possible" neurosergeon who told me they can put the BAHA "thingy" right after the removal of the tumor, while closing up everything. Did anyone got that done then? or most of you got it done some time after the actual AN surgery?

Also, I see some pictures where the BAHA is very close to the back of the ear, at the bottom. But others quite on the "outside of the ear", like in the middle of the side of the head... Does the AN procedure make this difference?

Thank you ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:28:48 pm by Pascale »
2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.
CyberKnife treatment completed on 09/12/2008 with Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs at Stanford.

:D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: putting BAHA while having AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:26:04 pm »
Hi, Pascale -

BAHAs are wonderful  :D Got one myself just recently - had the implant surgery at the beginning of March and got my processor at the beginning of June.

Some doctors combine BAHA implant surgery with AN surgery, but some don't; it pretty much depends on the doctor.  I had my implant about 9 months after my AN surgery.  BAHA surgery is nowhere near as difficult as AN surgery - I had my BAHA surgery with local anesthesia and was awake the entire time, and even if you choose to have general anesthesia it's an outpatient surgery - so if you don't have a "combined" procedure, don't stress about it.

BAHAs generally are placed in the same spot and from what I know, AN surgical approach has nothing to do with placement.  I had retrosigmoid surgery, Lori67 had translab, but I believe our BAHAs are basically in the same place.

I recently posted pictures of my BAHA on this forum.  Here's the link if you're interested http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.msg65388#msg65388

If you are seriously considering the BAHA, try out the demo (basically the processor attached to an elastic headband).  I found it very impressive and it's what ultimately made me decide to go with the BAHA.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pascale

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:55:14 am »
Hi Jan :)

Thanks for your reply. I saw your pictures and you really can't see it!  :D that is really cool. I will definetly ask to try out the "test" one, but I don't know how it will sound since i still have 100% hearing.. ::) guess we'll see  :)

I'm glad you can hear in your bad ear. Must be a great feeling!

Pascale
2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.
CyberKnife treatment completed on 09/12/2008 with Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs at Stanford.

:D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 07:46:30 am »
Pascale -

good point about the demo.  I tried it when I was SSD, so it might not work too well while you still have 100% hearing.  Being completely deaf in one ear is how BAHA candidates become candidates.

I'd ask your doctor.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:00:14 am »
Pascale

Do you have 100% hearing in your AN side??? If that's the case, you won't need a BAHA if they can spare some hearing. Ther demo would still work, You'd have to plug both your ears.

Sam
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:33:20 pm »
Sam -

thanks for your input on the demo working with less than 100% hearing loss.  I wasn't sure how that would work.  For some reason I never thought of plugging both ears  - although it's kind of a no-brainer ::)

Haven't seen you around much lately.  Hope you are doing well  :)

Jan

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:48:24 am »
Yes, I had the BAHA implant done "during" my surgery -- or, to be more precise, at the conclusion of my trans-lab procedure for AN removal. I believe it added 30-45 minutes to the operation. I had the option of doing it later, but since I went to House Clinic in L.A. (an amazing place!) and I live in New Jersey, I opted to have it done at the same time -- "one-stop surgery," I suppose. My implant is behind the top of my ear. Best wishes as you make your decisions!
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

1wareagle

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:25:41 pm »
Pascale,

I also, like Jerseygirl2, had the translab and BAHA surgery at the same time at House Ear in LA. After I found out that my insurance would pay for the BAHA operation I decided on it too. I figured I would save money by doing them both at the same time. Mine is in the same location as Jan's.

Good luck on your decision,
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Tamara

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 01:58:56 pm »
I WANTED to get the BAHA installed at the same time as my translab.  Insurance and doctor both said OK, but the BAHA was on backorder, so I wasn't able to get it.  In retrospect, I am VERY glad I didn't have it done at the same time, as I had a CSF leak out my incision, and I think the BAHA would have been a CSF geyser.  Funny how things work out...

I NEVER would have thought of that angle of things...
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...