Author Topic: What if you can't detect what your gut is telling you??  (Read 7629 times)

fbarbera

Re: What if you can't detect what your gut is telling you??
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 10:32:59 pm »
Windy, I was going through exactly the same struggles and thought-processes when I was diagnosed with a 2.5 cm AN about a year ago.  I had facial numbness and very good hearing in my AN ear that I wanted to keep to the extent possible.  Ultimately I chose Cyberknife because of the better hearing preservation rates (which is achieved without compromising tumor control rates).  If you are interested in reading more about my personal decision making process, I describe my experience in some detail in the website that appears in my signature block below. 
It sounds like you are well on your way to a treatment decision.  Your gut WILL tell you when you are ready to move forward and where. 
Good luck and be well,
Francesco

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:22 am »
Gut reaction to anything in life.... for me (and only me)... typical, the very first (initial) signal it gives is my ultimate gut choice.  Anything after that, too easy for hem/haw, do this/do that.....  (exception to this rule... when I decided to remarry.... had to do the hem/haw routine although on days the bloke irks me to no end, then... I shoulda stuck with my initial gut reaction! ;)  )

I knew what my initial gut said when I was researching AN treatment options (all were available to me).  I continued to do my research (boy, I overloaded on research).... and in the end, I ended up with my initial gut reaction... and as of today, so far, so good.

Windy, you will know what the right choice is for you and your situation... and the perfect time to make that choice. 

Hang in there... truly, once you decide, the monkey will come off your back......

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 07:36:19 pm »
  Your gut WILL tell you when you are ready to move forward and where. 

Quote from: ppearl
Gut reaction to anything in life.... for me (and only me)... typical, the very first (initial) signal it gives is my ultimate gut choice.  Anything after that, too easy for hem/haw, do this/do that.....

I agree with Francesco and Phyl. 

Side note to Phyl.  I had no idea the bloke wasn't your first husband.  IMO you are one brave woman to take a chance on love again ;)  Sounds like it's turning out to be a good decision.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

goinbatty

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 05:44:25 am »
I'll have to admit, my initial gut reaction was surgery.  Months later and after tons of research, I started leaning toward CK.  Then months later even still, my brain (or what's left of it at this age HA!), concluded CK was the best option for me.  At that point, I wanted it done as in yesterday.  One of my character flaws.  With huge decisions, I have to know as much as I feel I can possibly know and then go for it. 

Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:19 am »
I should have clarified my "go with your gut" advice.

I chose surgery, but radiation was my first "out of the box" thought.

After taking time to look at both treatment options and weighing the pros & cons, my gut told me to go with the surgery.

So, while I'm all for "gut" reactions, it's usually after I've done my research.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:37 pm »
Windy,

I read your initial post here, and you stated you read about a guy in CO who had successful GK five years after the fact.  I know it is hard to remember where we read what, but if you can remember the guy from CO, I would be interested in reading his story or communicating.  I am from the Denver area, and I am in the process of making a decision like you--no gut feeling yet.  I am leaning toward GK pretty much because we are supposed to have a good GK center here with excellent doctors, and I have been in contact with a guy here in CO who had a good result with GK in April.  I am seeing his doctor next month.  Hopefully you can remember where you saw the CO info.  I would like to know where he got his GK and by who.  I hope you are getting close to your decision.  It is so hard, and I feel for you.  If you get to your gut feeling, let me know how it feels.  Thanks.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

windy

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 09:00:26 pm »
Hi Nancy!  I just saw your post today.  I am sending you a personal message with the web site address.
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Nancy Drew

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »
Hi Windy,

I read your PM and just sent you one also.  I just wanted to leave a post here to say that posting here is great, but also PMs are really helpful when you have more specific info that you can offer a person in a more directed way through a PM.  I thank all of you for your PMs, and I also thank all of your for your replies on this message board.  You guys have become my AN family, and I have had so many of you help me get through this "nutty" decision phase, and it is great to see that others in the desicion process have been helped as well.  Like it has been mentioned over and over, all of these ANs are different, but I can say that we all have the common bond of having to deal with an AN.  You just don't get this kind of personalized support from the average guy on the street.  Thanks so much.  And, kudos to the moderators here who follow us and lend a "good ear" and give such wonderful support.

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 06:45:52 pm »
You just don't get this kind of personalized support from the average guy on the street. 

That's because none of us are average guys on the street.

We're all "special".  My neurotologist has told me that many times - and I believe him   ;D

Jan

Nancy Drew

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 11:07:44 am »
Hopefully the docs will think I am "special", too, when they aim that big does of radiation in my head!  Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs