Author Topic: Results from follow-up MRI  (Read 2183 times)

wendysig

Results from follow-up MRI
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:01:43 pm »
Hi all -
I just got off the phone with my doctor and he gave me the latest information  regarding my AN.  As he suspected, my AN did grow and is now 2cm and is completely taking up the space in the IAC.  He had told me previously he thought it might be going into my  cochlea biy this is not the cas.  However , he siad it is right up against it, so even without the dramatic drop in hearing I experienced recently, he felt that would have lowered my chances of preserving my hearing with the middle fossa approach to 10 -20% vs. the 70% chance he first thought I had. He did assure me that although it will be difficult to get is out they will, so that is that I guess   Nothing terribly unexpected, and actually, almost a relief in a way to know haering preservation was never a real possibility and nothing I did or didn't do would have changed that,

Steve - You were right about hearing preservation not being in the cards for me.  Just one of the more unpleasant facts of life.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tamara

Re: Results from follow-up MRI
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »
Sorry to hear that Wendy - that's tough news, but at least you know now, I guess.  Maybe Jan's BAHA moment thread will cheer you up - I know I am looking forward to getting one....

Hugs,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 04:32:24 pm »
Tamara -
Thanks, I did read Jan's BAHA moment this morning and couldn't be more pleased for her.  I'm one of the people with BAHA envy and plan to have the surgery and get the processor as soon as possible.  Having that to look forward to give me something new to be happy about.  When I spoke to my doctor today, he told me he has the simiulator, demo or whatever you want to call it in his office and I can try it at my next visit, so I will look forward to that too.  I don't know if you read my post where I was kidding with Jan about docs renting the simulators, but in giving it more thought, it's really not a bad idea.  I'll see if I can work up the courage to suggest it, or at the very least, share the joke with my doc when I see him.    How are you doing?  I hope your CSF leak will soon be controled and over with.  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 05:53:13 pm »
Wendy -

it wouldn't hurt to ask your doc about "borrowing" the demo for a few days - all he can say is no.  I didn't think to ask my doctor about this, but I thought somewhere I heard of a patient who was able to do this. 

Jan
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:27:10 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways