Author Topic: Oily Food&Balance  (Read 4617 times)

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
Oily Food&Balance
« on: June 24, 2008, 04:15:33 pm »
Tummbleweed, you said in one of your posts that oily foods makes your balance worse.Past few days my balance has been so bad!I just remembered I've been taking E.V.coconut oil to help my immune system ect.Maybe thats got something to do with it.What kind of oil were you talking about?All  of them?Iwonder why it effects us this way? Anyone heard of this...    Teresa
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:02:23 pm by TLC719 »
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

FlyersFan68

Re: Oily Food&Balance
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:07:43 am »
Keep the eyes sharp. Eyesight sends messages to the brain in regards to balance. Balance problems may become worse with eye strain which then causes fatigue. I need to take periodic breaks from the computer to help my eyes re-adjust.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:52:56 pm »
Teresa, the worst oils for me personally are the polyunsaturated vegetable oils, such as corn, safflower, sesame, canola, etc. When I eat them, they increase my tinnitus and disequilibrium. I tolerate coconut oil and fish oils much better. Salmon and trout actually make me feel better, reducing my symptoms of dizzyness and tinnitus. I tolerate olive oil -- which is mono-unsaturated -- fairly well, but not as well as the coconut oil and especially the fish oil. But the most important thing I've noticed is that eating too much oil seems to be the biggest issue.

I'm not sure why this is, but I've got some theories. First, polyunsaturated vegetable oils are reputed to be highly unstable and become rancid very easily. When cooked, about 15% of the oil becomes transfat. The rancidity and transfat content generate free radicals in the body, which generally promote any disease condition. Also, excess dietary fat clogs the liver, which processes metabolic wastes in the body. A toxic body is one that also promotes disease conditions.

Of course, these are just theories. The most important thing is that I've noticed what foods make me feel better and which ones make me feel worse. It might not be the same for everyone. It's a personal observation that I mentioned on the chance it might be helpful to someone else as well.

Certain activities (or staying up too late at night) also make my symptoms worse. FlyersFan68 makes a good point about eyestrain from working at the computer too long without a break. That definitely makes my symptoms worse, too.

Getting a lot of sleep, not working too late/long, eating a clean and balanced diet, and exercising regularly seem to be the main keys to managing my symptoms. When I do all that, I actually feel fairly close to normal and have few limitations (like not being able to do technical rock-climbing anymore).

Hope that helps,
Tumbleweed

P.S. Please feel free to send me a PM when you have a question specifically for me. I don't read all the posts on this forum and I almost missed your question, Teresa. Best wishes.
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 03:51:55 pm »
Donnalynn-

Just wear a helmet!!   ;D ;D  Whether bouldering or biking, protect your head!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:15:39 am »
Hi, Donnalynn:

I think your climbing wall is a great idea, as long as you are on belay. I'm assuming your husband will have a rope anchored at the top of the wall and will be belaying you in case you fall.

The rock climbing I used to do was in wilderness areas and involved large mountains. I've thought about continuing rock climbing and just asking for a belay more often, but I'm afraid that some of the shorter rock scrambles -- where all my "normal" climbing buddies wouldn't even think about having a fixed line -- could present a problem for me. As you know, it doesn't take "exposure" to have enough of a fall to break an arm or crack some ribs.

I still do hardcore cross-country backpacking and alpine climbing (or at least I did before getting treated; I'm gradually recovering my strength and getting back into hiking again in the past ten days). But alas, I feel I've got to let go of the hairy wilderness rock climbs. A long-time climbing buddy of mine once gave me words of wisdom: he said it's the climbers who fail to acknowledge and honor their limitations that eventually get killed. There are plenty of other adventures for me to do without pushing my luck quite so hard.

All that said, I think your climbing wall is a fantastic idea. It should help your balance. I wish I had the time and the space to create one myself. Please let us all know how you do with it and if it helps your balance. And please wear a helmet and harness and stay on belay at all times!  :)

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:28:29 am »
Hi, Donnalynn:

Sounds like you're headed off on a fantastic vacation!! Please let us know how it went for you upon your return.

Whether you'll need a belay or not when climbing on your climbing wall can be determined by asking yourself one simple question: if I fall, would I be injured? If so, take a belay. If not, you don't need to. Another option is to just put a large, cushy, thick, soft matt at the base of the wall so that if you fall you're less likely to get injured. But sprains can happen simply by landing on an ankle the wrong way, for example. A belay never hurts.

Have fun in the Canadian Rockies and say 'hi' to "God's country" for me!

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:10:27 am »
Donnalynn, I'm really glad you had such a terrific vacation. And relieved you'll be top-roped and on belay on your climbing wall.

Thanks for sharing your adventures with the group. It sounds like you're doing really well -- not letting Mr. Tumor cramp your style. Right on!

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed