Author Topic: what are some of the symptoms of AN effecting brainstem?  (Read 19496 times)

sher

what are some of the symptoms of AN effecting brainstem?
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:53:58 pm »
I am wondering if anyone knows what happens when the AN effects the brain stem?
Thanks,
Sherry
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

tony

Re: what are some of the symptoms of AN effecting brainstem?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:16:07 pm »
I guess the answer is : it depends
The most common effect is a poor balance, almost
drunk like walk or movement.
Others would talk of headaches or feeling sick
A whole new batch would involve the part of the body
which that nerve (the bit being compressed) looked after
So maybe the left foot is a bit numb or not as fast/strong
moving as the right side
In most cases, if the compression is minor the effects are
gradual and minor(these things grow at 2mm per year ?)
 - its the massive swelling post car-crash or similar
that can dangerous
Overall its how big is the tumour, how quick is it moving
and where is it compressing (and how tight is the space
at that particular point)
Best Regards
Tony

Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:57:44 pm »
Not to purposefully try to scare you or anyone else, but I would add that the brain stem takes care of a lot of the body's higher functions. If I remember correctly, these include pulse rate, blood pressure and breathing (lung function). So an untreated and growing tumor eventually kills by destroying the brain stem's ability to provide these critical functions, although this typically takes decades. The tumor would typically have to be absolutely enormous to have this effect on the brainstem, and they only grow on average 1-2 mm per year (some don't grow at all after being discovered). Unfortunately, some grow faster than average. Mine grew 2-3 mm along each of the three axes of measurement in just under 6 months. When my first followup MRI (taken in May) revealed my tumor was now pressing against my brain stem, that prompted me to stop watchful waiting and schedule treatment.

I guess I've won the s**t lottery twice. First by getting a tumor that only 1 in 100,000 people get (like everyone else on this board) and second by having one of the relatively few that show accelerated growth.

Sorry to vent. I get CK in less than three weeks and am a bit highstrung over it.

Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

shygirl

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:36:37 am »
Hi Sher-

My tumor was pressing into my brainstem and it affected my heart rate, balance(I was like a bull in a china shop), I did feel sick a lot, My arm & hand would "fall asleep" for no reason, I dropped things all the time--it was like my hands would just let go, and I was always very tired. Not sleepy, just "drained". No hearing issues except for the occasional ringing when you say "someone's talking about me". And no headaches. Now, I am more graceful, I haven't been sick at all since surgery, My arm doesn't go to sleep, I don't just drop things anymore and I'm not tired all the time.

That's just my experience with brainstem involvement.

Sincerely,

Shye

2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 07:57:36 am »
Hi Sher,
  Great question!  From reading about AN patient experiances here on this forum, AN symptoms can vary widely between individuals.  With a host of things along with the "normal" hearing and balance issues.  My AN was tucked up in the CVA angle, so it was next to the brainstem.  And I had several "aura" episodes, where an arcurate shape flashed in my field of vision with an odd geometric pattern (Scintillating Scotoma, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma ).  I had about 5 of these episodes, and they would last about 30 minutes.   I had one aura event about 10 days after surgery, and none since.  So I don't know if the AN pressing slightly on the brainstem was causing the aura, or if it was serendipity and related to something else.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:24:29 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:23:54 am »
Sher~
My brainstem was all the way over to the left side of my head - I had a LOT of symptoms, but didn't know it.  My balance was awful - I could be standing with a group of teachers at recess and I would just stagger back!  WEIRD things too, though, that didn't happen after surgery LIKE:  I was SUPER susceptible to strep throat - I would get it ALL the time (the other teachers would send me notes not to come to their rooms if a kid had gone home sick - this was BEFORE I was diagnosed) - they even had to postpone my surgery because I got it!  Have NEVER had it since!!  Isn't that weird?  Also, I had a HORRIBLE pain in my left shoulder - couldn't carry anything on that arm - we went backpacking the summer before I had surgery and I couldn't even carry a backpack!  Don't have that problem now!!  I think all of that was because of the brainstem displacement.  Mine was pretty severe & I had surgery within a week of being diagnosed...my brainstem is still a little (but not like it was) to the left!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 09:21:45 am »
Hi Sher.

I had high blood pressure and an irregular heart rate as a result of my brain stem looking like the letter "C".  I had been treated with medication for a few years to control both, but no one ever bothered to find out the cause of these things.  Amazingly, since surgery, and my brain stem looking more like the letter "I", I no longer have high blood pressure.  I still take the medication to regulate my heart rate, but that's only because I'm afraid if I stop taking it, I'll have the horrible palpitations and racing heart I had before.  Once I get over my fear, I'll try to wean myself off of that.

And, Kay, I guess you'll always be a little askew!!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 11:07:18 am »
 One of the indicators of brainstem involvement may be an escalating number of unexplained new symptoms.
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 11:13:49 am »
One of the indicators of brainstem involvement may be an escalating number of unexplained new symptoms.
Rob

Rob, are you a lawyer or a politician, by any chance?  :D  That really makes things crystal clear!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 11:31:29 am »
Rob

Rob, are you a lawyer or a politician, by any chance?  :D  That really makes things crystal clear!   :D

Lori

Well, Rob did say that "AN symptoms can vary widely between individuals" and that was very clear  ;)  Plus he was absolutely correct! 

I'm just amazed at the different symptoms people had prior to being diagnosed.  Other than diminished hearing, a feeling of fullness in my ear, and some balance issues I was not even aware of I didn't have any "unusual" symptoms.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 02:49:48 pm »
Sher:

According to the MRI, my AN was pressing hard on my brainstem but aside from SSD, my only other symptoms were acute disequilibrium, fatigue and a loss of the sense of taste.  The neurosurgeon told me that my brain was pushed to one side of my skull and that CSF 'gushed' out when he made the incision that opened my skull, because the fluid was so compressed.  Fortunately, none of this caused me any post-op problems.

I have long known (from earlier research and reading posts on these forums) that AN-related brainstem compression has many symptom variations in individuals.  Symptoms are only an indicator that an MRI is required.  The MRI tells the doctor what is actually happening.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 03:36:33 pm »
Sheri,

My AN was visibly pushing in on my brainstam on my MRI but I don't recall any symptoms other than the hearing loss and a few bouts of vertigo. Well...maybe a little stiff neck but that was it.
Like Tumbleweed said though, the brainstem is a crucial juncture in the body. A friend of mine that is an ER doc said that one of the first things that they learned in med school was that the brain stem is sort of like the bodys 'on-off' switch. If it gets cut off, so do all of the involuntary organs below like the heart, lungs, kidneys and all of those other sort of essential thingies.  ;)
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

TP

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 03:44:21 pm »
My tumor was on my brainstem. I had some minor balance issues, had neck pain for about a year and started to lose my hearing but otherwise I felt I had good health. The brain tumor was pressing against my spinal cord and causing the neck pain. I did have a bump on the back of my head for years and it no longer is there so I would assume that bump was from the tumor. The dr never would confirm that.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Tumbleweed

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 11:43:12 pm »
Now that I think of it, I have had heart palpitations and shortness of breath on rare occasions (but happening a little more frequently now) for the past several years. Perhaps this has been caused by the tumor. Another wierd thing is that I seem to be getting more clumsy. It's as if I'm not quite in my body and aware of where my body is in the surrounding space. I'll walk into a room and hit my hand on a chair or table as I walk by it. And I find I'm starting to drop things more. I'll pick up a pencil and it'll fall out of my hand, and I wasn't even aware that my grip wasn't tight enough.

Most of these symptoms (with the exception of the heart palpitations) are subtle, making me question whether I'm just reading too much into general clumsiness. But I wasn't this clumsy a few years ago.

The more I learn and realize about my condition from reading posts on this board, the more resolved I am about getting treatment in a couple weeks. But it scares the hell out of me to think about getting radiation treatment. I suppose the alternative (doing nothing) is even worse. :(

Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 12:02:47 am »
Another wierd thing is that I seem to be getting more clumsy.

I think the clumsiness is quite common with ANs, and generally results from effects on the balance nerve. I still manage to bump against door frames fairly regularly when I'm walking quickly and (try to) turn sharply into a doorway.

I wouldn't be that scared of the radiation treatment. It is a very high tech procedure, and the radiation really is focused on the AN, which deserves to be blasted by it. The side effects are mostly mild. It'll go well.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.