Author Topic: NY/NJ Area ANers Lunch Event - JULY 19 in NYC  (Read 22345 times)

wendysig

Re: NY/NJ Area ANers Lunch Event - JULY 19 in NYC
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:14 pm »
Jan -
How was your vacation?  Did pretending or actually not hearing your kids requests for money and expensive souvenirs work.  I tried it myself but they just came over and tapped me on the shoulder to get my attention!  It made me feel a little bad to  have to turn them down after they tried so hard, but not bad enough to change my mind. 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2008, 01:20:43 am »
Wendy -

the vacation was great.  I highly recommend the Jersey shore to anyone who hasn't been there.  We stayed in the town of Spring Lake and it was just beautiful and the beach was fantastic.  Nice and clean, plus you could walk for miles  ;D  We also went to beaches in Belmar, Sea Girt, and Point Pleasant and my brother taught the kids how to boogie board.  Only sad news is I didn't get a chance to connect with Lori  :(  Bummer  :(

I got to see the Statue of Liberty - something I've wanted to see since I was a small child.  My parents took my older siblings to the New York's World Fair, and the Statue, in 1964 or 1965 and my baby brother and I had to stay with our grandparents.

I actually saw the Heartland Brewery where you guys are having lunch later today, when we visited The Empire State Building on Wednesday night.  It was about 11 p.m. at the time, so it was closed, but it looked like a great place.  I hope you guys have a wonderful time  ;D

My kids weren't too bad with souvenirs and I actually came home with money in my pocket - a vacation first!  But I have to admit, my baby brother (who is now a very successful businessman) was incredible about picking up lots of the tabs.  I set a limit for each of my children and my son actually came in under his limit.  My daughter spent her money on a silver charm at Tiffany's in NYC.  I didn't apply their souvenir limit to everything, so they got some sweatshirts and t-shirts at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC.  I got a few new shot glasses for my collection from NJ & NY, so we are all quite happy.

It's good to be home - though I'm not really looking forward to work on Monday morning  :P

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2008, 06:21:21 am »
Teresa - Happy Birthday!!  We'll miss you!

Jan, so glad you had a good time on vacation.  Interested to hear your impressions of the Statue of Liberty - one of my all time favorite sites.  Did you get to Ellis Island?  I could spend hours there - it is just fascinating.  My husbands grandparents all immigrated from Italy, and some of them are on the Wall at Ellis Island - very emtional finding them there. 

I am off to meet my fellow intrepid ANers from NY/NJ shortly - the weather is suitable hot, hot, hot in honor of the occasion!  I'll post pictures later or tomorrow.

Wahoo!!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2008, 06:29:23 am »
Theresa -
Happy Birthday! We'll have to have a toast to you today!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2008, 11:54:07 am »
I wish I was joining you in NYC!!!  I took my sons there last Aug 1st weekend and had a blast.  My oldest son and three of his buddies are going this Aug 1st weekend.  I was disappointed when we visited "Little Italy", because most of the vendors were oriental.  Mind you the Cafe Napoli was ethic.  The pizza was heavenly and the owners were thrilled to find out my son's grandparents are from the Naples area.  My oldest and youngest were able to speak in broken Italian to them so out come a wonderful antipasto on the house.

I LOVE NEW YORK!!!  I'm hoping to go with my girlfriend the 2nd weekend in Oct.  Its a great plan than I do not have to cook for our Thanksgiving!!!  I wonder if my husband and sons can live without me for the weekend...... ::)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2008, 04:00:24 pm »
Greetings, Intrepid ANers!

The First Lunch was huge fun and I truly wish you could all have been there!  We had some major laughs and I presented Wendy with a Good Luck Scarf for her sugery this Friday.  I have a feeling you're going to rock the house, Wendy!

Eve (Jerseygirl) and Joe are both inspirational and wonderful post surgical role models.

Here's the better of the two picture of us (from left to right - Eve, me, Wendy and Joe.)  My Blinkeze is apparently working overtime here, since my eye appears to be half-mast.  Oh well, I've become less concerned in recent months with appearances... ;D

I am hoping we can all get together again sometime in the fall, when Wendy is back on her feet and up to it.

Debbi, tired, but thrilled!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jtd71465

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2008, 04:13:42 pm »
It was a great time...the bonus was I didn't miss my train station on the way home....

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

sgerrard

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2008, 04:23:13 pm »
A fine looking rogue's gallery. I will assume this pic was taken after cocktails... ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jerseygirl

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2008, 05:09:13 pm »
Steve,

You wouldn't want to look at me if I drank cocktails! In fact, you would not see me at all because I would be under the table, not at it! I am obviously still in the recovery mode. After hearing about Joe's early morning run and watching him down a glass of beer, I decided I will step up my exercise program - enough of a lazy summer for me. Very inspirational, Joe!

Debbi, I would not even dream of venturing into the city alone this early in the recovery process; this is pretty amazing! Your hair looks great and many thanks for organizing this lunch.

Wendy, I want to wish you one more time the best of luck on Friday. Hope you will have an easy and smooth recovery. I am keeping my fingers crossed for wonderful news!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

wendysig

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2008, 05:27:12 pm »
Debbi -
Thanks for organizing the luncheon and also for your lucky scarf! Thanks for posting the picture too.   I tried the scarf  on when I got home and am cerrtain it will make a wonderfull addition to the lovely and fashionable hospital attire I'll be sporting in about a week!  I'm sure I'll be the belle of the halls!!!  Of course, between your lucky scarf and my lucky bunny sliffpers I can only have a fantastic outcome! Eve and Joe it was great meeting you both and I hope we get together again sometime this fall as Debbi suggested.  It would be great if a couple more people could come too.  The more the merrier!!  Eve, thank you so much for your good wishes.  With my lucky attire, my wonderful doctors and a positive attitide and the good wishes of friends, here and at home,  and my family I am truly hoping for the perfect outcome (or as close to it as I can get).

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2008, 11:56:53 pm »
Debbi -

thanks for posting the picture.  I'm glad a good time was had by all. 

Wendy -

do we get a post op picture of you with the scarf and the bunny slippers?  ;)   Can't blame me for asking  :D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2008, 02:14:33 pm »
Debbi:

Nice photo and I share the sentiment that we're glad you folks had a good time together in the Big Apple.  These kinds of social events are always rewarding.  That Joe got his train on time was also a bonus.  ;)

I may join this group in the future because it's just as far to NYC as it is to Springfield, Massachusetts for me and I doubt I'll do both.  We'll see.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2008, 03:30:50 pm »
Hi Jan,
You will absolutely get a picture, I already promised Debbi and Eve.  I guess I have to sit down and learn how to post pictures once and for all!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2008, 05:55:13 pm »
Glad you all had a great time!   Nothing like getting together in person to meet and greet and get to know one another better.  I'm really happy that people all around the country are doing this.  It's a  wonderful way to share and to have some fun at the same time.   :)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2008, 10:54:09 pm »
Hi Jan,
You will absolutely get a picture, I already promised Debbi and Eve.  I guess I have to sit down and learn how to post pictures once and for all!

Wendy

Cool  8)

I have some very easy instructions for posting pictures; I'll PM them to you.

Jan