Author Topic: Confused Newbie from NY  (Read 10970 times)

Jimbo

Re: Confused Newbie from NY
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 12:36:23 pm »
Thanks to all for your insight, support and comprehensive information regarding treatment options. It is greatly appreciated.

I recently consulted with Dr Steven Isaacson at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital in NYC regarding the Leksell Gamma Knife radiosurgery option for my 7 x 12 mm AN.

Dr Isaacson has 20 years radiosurgery experience, and has performed over 400 GK procedures; ~50-80 per year. He said that the location and size of my AN was very typical of those that he has been successfully controlling by GK, which in his opinion is becoming the treatment of choice for such tumors. He estimated 100%(!?) success rate in my case. He said that his overall AN control success rate is 81-82%, because he is increasingly being asked to perform GK on  significantly larger ANs.

Dr Isaacson disagrees strongly with those surgeons who recommend GK only for those who are too old or in poor health. He also stated that in his experience virtually all retrosigmoid microsurgery procedures result in loss of hearing in the affected ear. He said there were no immediate effects from GK, and provided the following information regarding anticipated long-term side effects of the GK radiosurgery procedures that he has performed:
1.   All tumors swell up after GK, with less than 5% becoming filled with fluid, which would require surgery to alleviate.
2.   20 – 30% of patients lose hearing in the affected ear
3.   5% of patients lose balance on the affected side
4.   Less than 5% of patients have facial nerve problems after GK

Dr Isaacson does not see any reason for a 6 month post-GK MRI, due to anticipated swelling. He recommends follow-up MRIs after one year, two years and four years; if no regrowth is observed  after 4 years, he does not believe that any further MRIs are necessary, although may be prescribed by others. In the event of tumor regrowth, Dr Isaacson recommends microsurgery. The re-GK option is not yet a viable option at Columbia.

He does not have any published info regarding long-term results, citing “internal politics� at Columbia? He is planning to write a “patient’s decision-making guide� in conjunction with a surgeon. I am seriously considering GK radiosurgery at Columbia at this time.

Jimbo
7 x 12 mm AN diagnosed April 2008.
Leksell GK performed at Columbia-Presb July 2008

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 12:41:17 pm »
Jimbo-

This is very interesting and very encouraging!  Thanks so much for posting such detailed information.

I hope that things are becoming a little less confusing now as you gather more information and speak to more doctors.  It certainly must be great to know that you have options - and that you don't necessarily have to go with surgery!

Let me know what you decide on - and definitely keep posting!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 01:40:58 pm »
Jimbo -

it sounds like you have done your research and are close to making a decision, which is not an easy task.

Good luck, and as Debbi said, please let us know what you decide.

It was great talking to you the other day  :)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »
Jimbo:

I won't argue with Dr. Isaacsons' assessment of the Gamma Knife approach because he certainly knows a lot more about it than I ever will, so you're wise to take his opinion seriously.  He is unquestionably experienced and seems to be very positive regarding GK treatment success (100%).  Although his failure to have published long-term results is a bit unsettling, I would simply ask for a few patient referrals from the doctor, just to have some verification.  However, with or without this information, Dr. Isaacsons' 100% success prediction for your case is clearly encouraging and will likely find you undergoing the GK procedure under this doctors supervision.  I can't find any fault in that decision and if you go this route, I pray you have that 100% success rate, along with no complications.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jimbo

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 12:20:56 pm »
Debbi, Jan, Eve, Jim, et al
I had GK procedure at Columbia Presbyterian 3 weeks ago, and have felt great ever since, other than a mild headache 3 days later.
It is obviously too early to assure that tumor growth has stopped, until at least the 1 and 2-year MRI results.
This past weekend, experienced extreme dizzyness and even seeing double. Doctors say this is a normal reaction, and a positive sign that the tumor is dying.
Started treatment with recommended anti-inflammatory ibuprofen, which helped considerably, but still was not completely steady. Now on the third day of a 5-day regimen of steroid dexamethazone, which has relieved most symptoms. Have resumed all normal activities, and worked out at the gym today.
Life is good!

Jimbo
7 x 12 mm AN diagnosed April 2008.
Leksell GK performed at Columbia-Presb July 2008

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »
Hi, Jimbo,
The previous posts have covered a lot of your questions and concerns.  I would just like to add a simple what-I-think-is factoid, which is that we heal more slowly as we get older, and therefore microsurgery is harder on the body the older we are.  I believe this is the case no matter how good a shape we're in (although, obviously, the better shape one is in, the better).  I say this from fairly extensive experience with my mother and husband both having had brain surgeries.  It seems to me that your AN is small.  If all else is equal, I'd choose radiation over surgery.... in fact, I DID !!! choose radiation over surgery for myself, in 2007, GK.  I was 58 at the time, but even if I was younger, I would've chosen radiation.  All is going well, although of course it takes time for the AN to die.

We all make our own decision for our own reasons.  I definitely respect microsurgeons and the miracles they perform, but, all in all, in my humble opinion, microsurgery is ALOT harder on the body than radiation.  So, if you think the results will be similar, I'd recommend opting for radiation.

As always, I add.... "just my opinion", albeit strong!!
Take care and let us know how you're progressing.
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 01:51:44 pm »
Jimbo:

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your successful Gamma Knife procedure earlier this month.  You seem to be progressing quite well.  Post-radiation swelling that induces some unpleasant symptoms is pretty common with GK but you appear to have that under control with your meds.  If you're working out at the gym, you're obviously doing great. Good job!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 02:41:42 pm »
Jimbo-

I was so happy to read your post just now!  Very glad that you were able to do GK and that you are done!  We'll now keep good thoughts coming your way for necrosis (oohh, that sounds so technical, doesn't it?)  Heck, Jimbo, I'll just say that I hope the darned thing is dead!

Good luck - let us all know you you are doing as time goes along.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 03:27:10 pm »
Jimbo,
Sorry about my "out of sync" post!  Didn't realize you'd already chosen and had GK.  Just wasn't reading clearly....aargh!
Hope all goes well.
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

jerseygirl

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 03:30:45 pm »
Jimbo,

Hope you never experience any more side effects and your tumor dies soon!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

mk

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 07:32:45 pm »

Dr Isaacson does not see any reason for a 6 month post-GK MRI, due to anticipated swelling. He recommends follow-up MRIs after one year, two years and four years; if no regrowth is observed  after 4 years, he does not believe that any further MRIs are necessary, although may be prescribed by others. In the event of tumor regrowth, Dr Isaacson recommends microsurgery. The re-GK option is not yet a viable option at Columbia.

He does not have any published info regarding long-term results, citing “internal politics� at Columbia? He is planning to write a “patient’s decision-making guide� in conjunction with a surgeon. I am seriously considering GK radiosurgery at Columbia at this time.

Jimbo

I just wanted to comment that although there is a big possibility that the AN will swell after GK, this is not necessarily the case. Someone had posted a scientific study by a Japanese group, I believe, who showed that a large percentage, but not all of the tumors swell. Also, I think that the docs in the Cyberknife forum put the swelling probability to about 35%.
Regarding the frequency of the MRIs, different centres have different policies, but also opinions vary depending on the doctors. A 6 month post-GK MRI is pretty much standard. In cases where swelling might be a concern (like mine, given the size), the doctors may even order a 3 month MRI, which I had last week. Fortunately no signs of swelling and the doctor said that everything appears stable  :)

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 07:40:17 am »
Jimbo -

it's SO nice to hear from you.

Here I was wondering if you'd made your treatment decision yet, and I find you're already done with treatment!  Guess you decided, huh? LOL

I'm glad to hear, despite your "issues" this weekend, that everything is going well.

Thank you for the update; keep in touch  :)

Jan

PS - die tumor, die!!!  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:19 pm »

I just wanted to comment that although there is a big possibility that the AN will swell after GK, this is not necessarily the case. Someone had posted a scientific study by a Japanese group, I believe, who showed that a large percentage, but not all of the tumors swell. Also, I think that the docs in the Cyberknife forum put the swelling probability to about 35%.
Marianna

FWIW, Dr. Chang told me there was a 25% chance that my particular tumor (which was 2.1 cm at the time of CK treatment 4 weeks ago) would swell. Dr. Iris Gibbs, my RO, told me that 12 to 15%  of all CK patients at Stanford had tumor swelling in the 6-to-12-month period following CK.

Best wishes to all,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08