Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled  (Read 6549 times)

Jeff

Re: Surgery Scheduled
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 05:26:07 pm »
Hi Mo,

I'm Jeff and I've NF2 and have had 4 AN surgeries. My daughter was 2 when I was diagnosed and had my 1st surgery. She is now 8 and has been through 4 of them. I won't say that it has been easy, but I can tell you that I think kids adapt well to change. I wish you the best.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 09:42:50 am »
Jeff:

You've certainly been through a lot and in her own way, so has your daughter.  Your advice is sound and based on experience, not theory, so it is appreciated and welcomed.  Kids really are adaptable.  Your daughter proves it.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeff

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 08:40:53 pm »
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, AN surgeries have become somewhat common within my family. We have been through 8 of them plus my ABI surgery. And upon reflection, resilient is how I would describe kids. They are amazing. I'll never forget the first time my daughter smarted off to me using sign language.  :D Although I wasn't pleased with what she said, I had to laugh and realize that kids find a way to work with a situation.
Take care,
Jeff
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:33:36 am by Jeff »
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

lori67

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 09:50:37 am »
Jeff,

Kids do find a way, don't they?   :D  I think talking back to Dad in sign language warrants a good washing of the hands with soap!  Sure beats getting your mouth washed out with it anyway!   :D

Sounds like your whole family is quite resilient.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 12:42:38 pm »
Mo,
It's surprising how children of various ages react to this.  My 20 year-old surprised me by being incredibly supportive and strong, although the older they there, the more they understand the gravity of the situation.  To your point, your little one won't remember much of this, and if you have good support you will be able to spend some quality time with your kids.  October 7 is a long time away but it does give you the luxury of taking your time as you plan this for your family.  Your husband is just processing all of this.  Likely he will be a source of great support.  Good luck.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.