Author Topic: 2nd year surgery anniversary - Jim Scott  (Read 5860 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
2nd year surgery anniversary - Jim Scott
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:03:52 am »
Jim -

the AN treatment calendar says that yesterday was your 2nd year surgical anniversary and I just wanted to say congratulations.

How did you celebrate your big day?  Did you do anything special?

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to volunteer your services as a forum moderator - because although we all joke alot about what moderators get paid - I know for a fact that there is no compensation other than the gratitude of all your fellow forumites.

In the year I have been posting on the forum, I have always found your posts very insightful and very well-written.  A big thank you for all the time you spend with us - and another big thank you to your wife for letting you do so.

Here's to many more AN-free years,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

oHIo

Re: 2nd year surgery anniversary - Jim Scott
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:32:36 pm »
I second that emotion  ;D  Congratulations Jim on your two year milestone.  Although I lurk a lot more than I post, I appreciate your words of wisdom and your insight as someone who's been there, done that.  Thanks again, Jim.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:43:40 pm »
Congratulations, Jim. May you continue to have happy anniversaries.

By the way, have you figured out what we are supposed to be doing as moderators?  ???  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 12:44:51 pm »
Jan:

Thanks so much for your recognition of my two-year surgery anniversary and your very kind words. :)  I appreciate it.  My wife will appreciate it when I pass on your thanks, too.  Actually, she is very understanding about my time spent on this site.  She gets it.

Unfortunately, with the very hot weather Saturday (93º) and more pressing things to focus on, my AN surgery anniversary was acknowledged with remembrance, and little more.  The long (30 miles) drive to the hospital in the dark (4:30 am) with my wife and sister-in-law along for support.  The lengthy check-in-and-wait routine, a surprise (but welcome) visit from 4 of my church's Elders - and the minister, just before going to surgery.  The last-minute tightening of my stomach muscles as I was wheeled into the operating room and realized that this was really happening.  The look of forced cheerfulness attempting - and failing - to mask concern from my wife and finally, the technician (wearing a smock with a Pittsburgh hospital's name on it) who spoke to me just before I went under the influence of the anesthetic and said he was the nerve monitoring guy my neurosurgeon had retained (from Pittsburgh, of course) and that he would make sure my facial nerves weren't 'compromised' during the surgery.  He also praised the neurosurgeon, which made me feel good.  Then, it was all over, I was lying in a bed in ICU wearing a too-tight head bandage, sporting a catheter, an IV line and feeling extremely sleepy - and thirsty.  My wife was sitting by my bed and looked tired but much happier than she had some 9 hours earlier.  That was June 7th, 2006 for me - and I recall it quite vividly, of course.

Thanks again for the recognition, Jan.    We value involved ANers like you and I'm pleased that you remain a vital member that contributes greatly to our little 'community'.  Now, try to stay cool.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:49:12 pm »

By the way, have you figured out what we are supposed to be doing as moderators?  ???  ;)

Steve

Thanks, Steve.  You, too.  :)

I just read as many new posts as I can, look for any problems and then ask Phyl to fix it.    ;D  Just kidding!   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cmp

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 01:16:41 pm »
Congratulations, Jim, and may it be only the second of many healthy anniversaries ahead! Your story and your presence on this forum are so helpful and inspiring--many many thanks for both...  :)
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

OMG16

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 04:06:14 pm »
Jim I am also wanting to wish you a very happy anniversary, although a little late.  I am raising my latte for a toast for you and I will also have a piece of cake to help you celebrate. Kisses to your forehead.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 04:29:42 pm »

Steve

Thanks, Steve.  You, too.  :)

I just read as many new posts as I can, look for any problems and then ask Phyl to fix it.    ;D  Just kidding!   

Jim

2 years.. wow - time is flying by .. life is returning to "normal" ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:10 pm »
Happy Anniversary Jim!!

Maybe the fact that it came and went without too much fanfare means your life is back to normal now.  But, maybe next year you should get a cake...any excuse for a cake... :D

Thanks for all you do around here - whatever that may be...  :D

And you better watch out - I think Jan's doing a little extra sucking up - I think she's after your high paying job!  I hear she's in the market for a new cardboard mansion t live in.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 06:26:18 pm »
Jim -

thanks for sharing the memories of the day of your surgery; I found it very interesting.  I don't think I've ever seen you post that before.  If you did, I missed it.

Lori -

although I admit to regularly suck up to Phyl (she's the "mean" moderator who always censors, folks, remember?) I never suck up to Jim - even with the hopes of a new "mansion" on the line. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jerseygirl

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 07:48:23 pm »
Jim,

Congratulations from me. too!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 06:27:34 pm »
Hi Jim-

Although fashionably late, I wanted to wish you a very happy anniversary, and MANY more!  I also want to echo Jan, and thank you for the wonderful job you do (bloated salary or not  :D) moderating the forum.  Seriously, thank you!

Debbi - raising my IV to you in a heartfelt toast!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:47:04 pm »
Jim~
Even though I sent you a PM on the actual (you did get it, didn't you?) - I thought that I better tell you publically too so everyone won't think I a non-caring loser!! ;D

Congratulations!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 09:09:51 pm »
K -

you could never be called a non-caring loser  :o

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 09:11:18 pm »
Thanks Jan!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!