Author Topic: Pre Surgery dry itchy eyes  (Read 2483 times)

cynthianz

Pre Surgery dry itchy eyes
« on: June 06, 2008, 04:54:54 pm »
Hi - I know that every patient and every surgery is different, but wondering if any have endured the "allergy eyes" before surgery and if it improved or hopefully magically went away afterwards?  Started really only on left (3cm left AN) but now it is both eyes, with right being worse.  I have not been able to wear my contact lenses for months, and wondering if sometime post surgery I'll be able to ditch the glasses?   

My diagnosis was delayed as I am a big time allergy sufferer and the constant runny nose and itchy eyes and general fatigue were attributed to the season.   Two weeks 3 days to my surgery. 
3.3cmX3.2cmX3.2cm solid and cystic AN left. Diagnosed 20 May 2008.
TranslabSurgery 19 June, 2008.  Auckland, NZ.  Will lose all left hearing, Surgeons Christopher Furneaux and Michele Neefe

Psalm 121

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Pre Surgery dry itchy eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:17:47 am »
Cynthianz:

I'm sorry to learn of your eye problems due to allergies.  They're obviously frustrating.  While the AN may have some impact on eye dryness and subsequent itchiness, the AN resection surgery won't alleviate your allergy problem, especially in the eye unaffected by the AN. 

FYI: I only had a few issues post-op but one of them was a slight ( but annoying) occasional 'dry eye' on the side (left) where the AN was.  Two years post-op and I still have this admittedly minor but slightly bothersome problem.  It isn't constant and I can usually ignore it, try blinking a lot or, if worst comes to worst, apply a few OTC eye drops to alleviate the itching.   I can't predict the future but I have to guess that your 'allergy eyes' won't disappear following your surgery, either 'magically' or by more conventional methods.  I wish it were otherwise.

I've taken the liberty of adding your (presumed) surgery date to our community AN event calendar.  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d23/06/2008?display=M&style=B&positioning=A

If the date is wrong, feel free to correct it....and please keep in touch and let us know how your surgery goes.  Thanks.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.