Author Topic: one more time  (Read 30412 times)

lori67

Re: one more time
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2008, 09:22:08 pm »
Jeff -

I'm with Steve - being able to teach is just an awesome accomplishment!  Just goes to prove, we AN folks are tougher than the general population!

I truly admire you - you seem to overcome challenges that some people wouldn't even attempt to deal with.  You remind us all that we can handle bigger things than we ever thought we could.  Thank you for that!

Lori - un-hijacking Jan's hi-jack   :P
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jeff

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2008, 05:08:59 pm »
Thank you for the kind words everyone.........I guess we never know how we will handle things until we are forced to deal with them. Personally, I am driven by my preference to eat on a regular basis and to maintain a place to live where my family and I are protected from the elements.

As to what I hear; that's difficult to describe. The sounds that I hear are  all very electronic. I hear few pitches - Imagine playing each key on a piano starting from the lowest and going to the highest. They all sound the same to me.  I can hear syllables and rhythm of speech, but I cannot understand it without lip reading too. Everyone's voice sounds the same, even my own. I tell people that we all sound like robots. And, for those Charlie Brown fans, remember his teacher Mrs. Othmar on the TV shows. People sound similar to that.

I do best in face-to-face one-on-one conversations, where people talk slowly and enunciate. Group situations are not good. Many times, in normal conversations, topics change quickly, and speaking bounces from person to person quickly. I still cannot keep up with that. I get bits and pieces, but not enough to know what is going on. In my classroom, I can hear when someone is talking out of turn, and I can usually locate them. And I can hear that the daily announcemnts are being made over the intercom, even though I can't understand them. So the ABI definitely helps.

When I was reading about the ABI years ago, I ran into this cochlear implant simulation. I remember the demonstration with a Johnny Cash song. Although not exactly the same, I seem to remember in my mind the one channel demonstration. I hear sounds that are similar to the way I remember hear the dem. Here is a link to the demonstrations: http://www.hei.org/research/aip/audiodemos.htm

Have a great weekend!

Jeff

I forgot to mention tinnitus. I have what I would describe as rip roaring tinnitus. It is fairly high pitched on one side. But after my surgery last year, When I finally woke up, I have something that sounds like the engine room of a ship on the other side. Neither goes away - ever. I decided years ago not to pay attention to it. However, since I had nothing else to listen to, I did tune in and analyze it some. I have found that nothing, including sounds from my ABI, affect it. It does not change in terms of volume or pitch, no matter what the external input.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 05:14:46 pm by Jeff »
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2008, 07:48:58 pm »
Wow, Jeff - thanks for the link, I found it extremely interesting - especially the music.

Thanks also for the wonderful explanation of what you are able to hear.  I had no idea what kinds of sounds the ABI would give you and although it's different than what I expected, it still sounds like an incredible option for those who are ABI candidates.

Have a great weekend yourself  :)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2008, 09:38:38 pm »
So Jeff, what you're saying is you're spoiled?  I suppose you want running water in that shelter of yours too, right?   :D

Thanks for the explanation.  We were discussing different types of implanted hearing aids in my sign language class last week and since I am the only one who knows anything about them, I can try to explain the ABI to them.  Not that I know a lot, mind you, but more than the rest of the class, which makes me the expert!   ;D

And I love Charlie Brown, but I have to say, I never knew his teacher had a name!  You learn something every day!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2008, 05:05:17 pm »
Jeff,

It sounds to me like you will be confronting an entire classroom of mini Darth Vaders. May the force be with you.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2008, 08:54:41 pm »
And I love Charlie Brown, but I have to say, I never knew his teacher had a name!  You learn something every day!

I never knew Charlie's teacher had a name either - but I definitely remember the sound she made when she talked.  Kind of a wonky sound.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways