Author Topic: one more time  (Read 30433 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: one more time
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2008, 08:42:58 am »
Jeff,

Your news on your ABI and being able to hear is wonderful!  I'm very thrilled for you and pray for you that every day will bring more and more recognition. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

marg

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2008, 12:00:23 am »
Jeff,
    I'm so glad that your ABI is working  ! ;D
marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2008, 02:10:21 pm »
Jeff:

I'm embarrassingly late to this thread update but please accept my congratulations on the success of your implant and my hope and prayer that your hearing ability continues to benefit from the device. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeff

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2008, 07:08:33 am »
To all who have responded:

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. These past 15 months have been diificult, to say the least. I believe that this ABI will make a positive difference in my life. It already has! With time, I will learn to use it better. I can't tell you how nice it is to hear a sound that relates to something that I see happen.

Life is getting better......

Jeff

P.S. Jim: No need to be embarrassed - I am happy that people don't always respond right away. To me, it means that they are thinking about things other than AN. And I think that this is good.  ;D
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2008, 08:15:48 am »
Jeff,

Pls add me to the embarrassed list  :-[

Many congrats to you and hope you are doing well!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2008, 12:04:17 pm »
Jeff~
I am not going to be embarrassed because I have been so busy traveling and then horrible DSL problems, but I am SOOOOO HAPPY for you!!  Continued blessings and peace as your family trasitions into this new phase - may it truly enhance your lives.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2008, 01:12:55 pm »
Well, if the rest of you late comers don't have to be embarrassed, then I don't have to be either!  Better late than never, right?

Jeff, I am so happy that things are going well with your ABI!  I can't even imagine how excited you must be that you are given a chance to learn to hear again!  It's just amazing.  I hope you are enjoying the noise!!   ;D

Here's a great big "HOORAY!" from me!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jeff

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »
Update:

I have been using the ABI for roughly one month now, and it has made a huge difference in my life. I have already had more, and longer, conversations since last month than I had during the entire 15 months that I was totally deaf. It's just that much easier to talk to me. I do well in quiet, one-on-one settings. I have returned to work and can successfully talk to my colleagues. Next week, the true test begins....I begin teaching my classes. I am expecting things to be much better this year. I may have some difficulties understanding exactly what is said, but at least I will know when someone is speaking! Right now, I am battling fatigue. I am approximately 10 weeks past my latest surgery, and I am not back to 100% yet. I know that will come with time.

I will update soon...........

Take care all,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2008, 04:32:50 pm »
Jeff-  I was so happy to read your post today.  I am so very glad that the ABI has given you the ability to hear again, even if it is different than it "once was."  It must truly be amazing to hear again and I am thrilled for you.

God bless, and continued good fortune.

Debbi, your fan in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2008, 06:04:23 pm »
Jeff~
So happy that this has worked for you...truly a modern day miracle!!   ;D

Continued good results,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2008, 06:47:34 pm »
Jeff -

this is fantastic news!  I know how thrilled I was to get my BAHA after 12 months of being SSD, so I can kind of relate to how you feel about your ABI.

I'm hopeful your fatigue will get better in time.

Thanks for the update,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2008, 12:03:38 pm »
Jeff,

Very glad to hear you are able to carry on more conversations, especially with those you love.  How does the ABI work for you in noisier environments, large rooms?  Hoping you get back to teaching soon as being productive makes me feel good, especially knowing it helps others.  May your fatigue decrease with every day. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:05 pm »
Jeff,

I am SO glad this is working for you and is improving your quality of life.
What pleases me, the most, is that the implant is assisting you- as you had hoped? You are truly inspirational!

I am curious- is there an increase in tinnitus since the implant? I ask this as my own tinnitus is increased by sound input into the non-deaf ear (to ring in the deaf ear???) Tinnitus is what fatigues me more than anything. This is why I walk around with an earplug in the good ear- particularly in loud public places… to dampen the sound input.

I ask as I am curious as it if I get a Baha implant -will this actually make my own tinnitus worse?

I am also very curious to see how the implant improves your classroom situation. Keep us posted.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2008, 09:36:30 pm »
Jeff,

That is amazing news, I had no idea that you could get that far in a month. Having conversations is great; teaching a class seems astonishing to me. I am curious about how much you hear, and what you hear. Can you make out complete words and sentences? Like DHM, I am also curious if tinnitus comes back with it.

I hope the dazzling results continue and the fatigue fades away.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2008, 09:36:42 pm »
DHM -

hijacking here.

It is my understanding that the BAHA has no affect on tinnitus.

If you have it pre-BAHA you will continue to have it and it won't be any more or any less than it was.

If you don't have it pre-BAHA, having the implant will not cause it.

I didn't have tinnitus prior to my implant and thankfully, I still don't.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways