Author Topic: sungalsses  (Read 6563 times)

elderbirds

sungalsses
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:59:51 am »
Hi everyone,
I am 2 months post op and still having problems closing my right eye, therefore I am unable to wear my contacts and wearing glasses full-time.  With summer here, I am  outside in the sun often, and my regular sunglasses aren't cutting it.  Does anyone know of a "brand or type" of sunglasses with good protection that can be made for prescription wearers? 
Thanks!
Hope

Tamara

Re: sungalsses
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:13:17 am »
I've never been fond of contacts, so have always worn glasses.  I am finding that the best sunglasses these days are the large, wrap-around ones that fit over your glasses, if your glasses aren't too big (i.e. from the '80's  :D).  They also give protection from the sides.

Otherwise, you can get prescription sunglasses made.

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:07:25 am »
Hi Hope:   Panoptiks & Harley Davidson make sunglasses with foam inside & can do Rx.   They're both pricey, in the $100 + range.
My vanity has prevented me from buying the wrap arounds b/c they just don't look good on my face,  but I think they probably work better !   

Take care,   always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

cmp

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:13:58 pm »
We were living in New Mexico after my '88 surgery, so dry, gritty wind was a constant challenge; I used to wear the wrap around sun glasses because they offered such terrific protection. Style-wise, of course, they left something to be desired--my husband nicknamed me the Terminator...  :D

Are photo-sensitive lenses an option for you, Hope (ie that would darken when you went outside, and serve as regular glasses indoors)?
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:02:25 pm »
Hi, Hope -

haven't heard from you in a little while.  Other than the eye issue, how is the rest of your recovery going?

Hope it's going well,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

elderbirds

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:28:55 pm »
thanks everyone,
I will look into these options.  My reguar glasses (and sunglasses) are small framed (actually kids glasses because I have a small face), so I am not sure that transition lens will help.  I will look into wrap arounds, (I think my hubby has some from motorcycle riding), they make me look like a bug!!  I too have the vanity factor, but we are off to the beach next week, so I need something.
Thanks for thinking of me Jan.   Overall doing well.  I still have the facial weakness which is frustrating!  I went back to work this week, kids getting out of school next week, my dad had surgery (with same surgeon!) 10 days ago and mom in awaiting potential surgery (with same surgeon!!  I think between the 3 of us we are buying him a new vacation home!) in a few weeks.  Needless to say my life is back to its crazy self, and I have had little time to worry about me!  Still getting my rest and doing exercises, but overall feel great!  Just waiting for my smile to return!
congrats on your one year anniversary!
Hope

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:39:45 pm »
Oh my gosh, Hope.  Is this surgeon giving you guys a family discount?

Sounds like things are hectic, but that you are doing well.

The facial weakness should get better in time, but I realize it's not easy to be patient.

Hang in there,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 09:45:00 am »
Hope -

It sounds like you're buying that doctor a vacation home AND a yacht to go with it!  Wow.  That's a lot going on at one time.

I'm glad you're healing well and I'll keep my fingers crossed that your smile returns bigger than ever very soon!  Hope your Mom and Dad are doing well also.  And have a great time at the beach.  Sounds like you could use a vacation!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:14:22 am »
Hope -

It sounds like you're buying that doctor a vacation home AND a yacht to go with it! 

Quick question for Hope.  Is this doctor single?  ;D

Jan

elderbirds

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 08:31:17 pm »
Sorry Jan,
He's married with 4 children.  (Not sure where he has the time for either).  The ironic thing is I remember the anesthesiologist telling me as they were putting me out to  imagine myself on a beach in Tahiti on Dr. W's tab!  I guess at this point that would be a fair exchange!  that's for all the good thoughts,  it's not as bad as it sounds, just a small amount of choas!
Hope

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 10:10:14 pm »
Can't blame a girl for asking - although I am 100% totally against marriage - at least for myself.  Once was more than enough  ;D 

Maybe you should tell Dr. W that you vividly recall the anesthesiologist saying that you were entitled to a beach vacation and that Dr. W was most definitely picking up the tab  :D 

It's worth a try  ;)

lori67

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 09:32:39 am »
And I think I recall him saying you should bring along some forum friends....
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Boppie

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 11:00:50 am »
These look geeky tooo, but they work for me.  I have several of those really dark plastic sun sheields that you get at the opthamologist's office.  They are flat as a board and fit down inside your regular glasses.  A tab on each side keeps them suspended on your frames.  I can pop these on a off quickly.  I have to keep them in a envelope to avoid scratching them.  They are too delicate for cleansing fuids and hard rubbing.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 12:19:39 pm »
And I think I recall him saying you should bring along some forum friends....

Specifically Jan & Lori  8)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 08:55:14 am »
Hi Hope-

I think you are off to the beach this week, but in case you check your email... I say go for the Jackie O (or Paris Hilton) look with the giant sunglasses with wide side "bars".  I got a pair that actually don't look bad and seem to help protect my non-blinking eye from wind, which is my deadliest foe at the moment. 

BTW, I saw the facial therapist last week and they gave me a bunch of exercises and nerve stimulation activities to do at home.  They also recommended a device caled a Z-Vibe that I can use to stimulate the face.  Let's compare notes when you get back, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com