Author Topic: Transear vs. BAHA  (Read 2638 times)

LID

Transear vs. BAHA
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:10:16 pm »
Hello- 

I have had a BAHA for almost 2 years and am very happy with it. However, I dislike not being able to wear a hat and having a device projecting off the back of my head.  Has anyone switched to a Tranear after having a BAHA?
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Transear vs. BAHA
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:00:18 am »
I think "gramps" went in the opposite direction.  He had a TransEar and then switched to a BAHA.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

gramps

Re: Transear vs. BAHA
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:20:31 pm »
Yes.  I switched from the Transear to a BAHA.  Over the years, I have also had a CROS system and a conventional hearing aid.   I am SSD without the AN; don't know from what.   My bad ear is so bad that the conventional aid was worthless (I was sold a bill of goods).  The CROS was fair, but I had a hard time keeping it working.  The Transear was pretty good but I could not turn it up loud enough without interference.  I may not have had a perfect fit, although the audiologist very carefully worked with it. (I could push on it with my finger and it worked better, but I couldn't go around all the time with one finger pressing on my ear mold).  I have had the BAHA processor for about 2 months now and am quite pleased with it.  I have the Intenso and I turn it up quite loud.  Only problem is in nosiy restaurants which has been a problem with everything I have used.  My bad ear is essentially totally deaf.  I think if you have some residual hearing in the bad ear either the Transear or BAHA would work quite well.