Author Topic: Any problems on a plane?  (Read 2510 times)

zeek

Any problems on a plane?
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:38:08 pm »
I will be taking my first commercial flight in August since surgery in Feb. I was O.K.ed by the doc office to do this. My question is this: Has anyone had any experiance with flying since your surgery? I was wondering about preasure on either ear. Will I feel funny in my dead ear? Or how about the reaction I can expect in my good ear? Before, my ears would hurt during take off and landing sometimes, and get plugged up. I sure don't want my only good ear to plug up when I hit the ground. Or be in pain my whole vacation. Thank you.

chocolatetruffle

Re: Any problems on a plane?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 06:50:03 pm »
a month after my surgery, i took an 11-hour flight and i did not experience any issues, just the normal pressure you usually get when you take off or land.  So in my case, i experience the usual pressure in my good ear but nothing in my deaf ear.  i know there are some posts in this forum on chewing gum after surgery, but to make my flight a little more comfortable, i took that exception and chewed gum to ease my good ear pressure.  hope this helps
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:52:57 pm »
Zeek~
I fly all the time and have since a couple of months after my surgery (& remember, I had a pretty rough time of it) -- I haven't/ don't have ANY problems at all!  My good ear does "plug up" a bit but not any more than it did before surgery.  I only notice it if I am trying to converse with another passenger -- i  just need to "yawn" every once in a while.  Flew home from Houston just last night...

I don't think you will have any problems!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

er

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:07:14 pm »
 Hello Zeek,

I have also flown few times after my surgery, and no problems just the normal pressure you usually get when you take off or land. I also carry a pack of gum to help the problem. The only problem I had was to hear the person that was sitting on my deaf side.
eve

Jan D

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:57:03 pm »
The only problem that I've ever had is when I had a bad head cold.  The pressure on lift-off and especially landing was terrible.  I think it would have been the same, though, if I could hear in both ears.  I recommend "Ear planes" for both ears - they really help keep the ear canals open so that the pressure doesn't build as much.

You can buy them at any drug store over the counter.

Have a safe flight!

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

zeek

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:02:10 pm »
Thank you. That's good to know.

Desilu

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:10:41 pm »
Hi Zeek,

I had my surgery out at House in California and I live just outside of Chicago, in Indiana. My surgery was on July 26th and I flew home on August 5th. Other than the usual popping and pressure in my ears, everything went fine. I'm sure my doctors would not have let me fly home if they didn't think it was safe. I must admit that I was a little bit apprehensive about flying and when the plane took off, I prayed that my head didn't explode, but as you can see I'm still here to talk about it. I wish you the best!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 10:55:37 pm »
Zeek -

I flew about 6 weeks post op and had no problems whatsoever.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways