Author Topic: It's Zeek reporting in.  (Read 2944 times)

zeek

It's Zeek reporting in.
« on: May 26, 2008, 01:25:39 pm »
Just thought I'd give an update. It's been 6 straight evenings now with no depression symptoms. Hope I can keep it up. And my migraine headaches left as quickly as they came. I had them for about 9 nights. Excedrine Migrane formula helped. I think part of the problems was, I was spending from 8:00am to 8:30 p.m. in the fields in my tractor bouncing around. Not good. 24 hours after I quit that, I noticed the headaches were gone. Dr. knows best! They said it was allright for short periods of time. I guess 12 and 1/2 hours a day is not considered short?
I sometimes wonder if this hand nerve pain will ever go away. They damaged a nerve over 3 months ago, and it is suppose to improve. not yet. And I still can't get up or bend over without feeling lightheaded. will this go away? And, is it normal to feel a funny "emptyness, or lightheadedness" when you run your fingers thru your hair where they did surgery. Seems odd to me.
I know my problems are minor compared to others. Have a great day!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: It's Zeek reporting in.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 01:57:38 pm »
Zeek -

glad to hear you are feeling better.  No, 12 1/2 hour days are not considered short, unless you are doing something you really like  :D  I don't think work qualifies.

I don't know the answer to your questions about nerve damage or lightheadedness.

Just wanted to say I'm happy to hear that the depression seems to be gone.

Hope that continues,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 01:58:26 pm »
Hi, Zeek:

Good to see you back and, most importantly, feeling better.  I'm sure the absence of the migraine headaches were a big factor in the lifting of your depression.  I have to agree that riding the tractor for 12 hours a day was probably not a great idea.  Sometimes, as you noted, the doctor really does know best.  :)

The head nerve pain you referenced (I'm assuming 'hand' was a typo) is common and should go away at some point, but it does take time, as you know.  I had the exact same sensation when I touched the area where the surgery occurred; I thought of it as 'numb' because I didn't really feel much when I touched that area.  It's pretty much normal, now.  I did experience a version of the 'lightheadedness' you mention and, yes, it went away, at least in my experience.  It was probably over a year.  I assume yours will be the same, although the total healing time will likely vary a bit, as we all heal at a slightly different rate, based on a host of factors.

Basically Zeek, your recovery appears to be pretty much on track.  All you need is a bit less physical activity and a lot more patience.  Easier said than done, I know, but I think you know what to do and what to expect by now.  You're gonna be fine.   

Thanks for 'checking in' and please, 'don't be a stranger' here.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:43:05 pm »
Hi Zeek,

It's great to hear that you are feeling better. I guess the old "Doc, it hurts when I do this,"..."Well, then, don't do that" joke sort of applies to the tractor riding and headaches. Take it easy, Zeek, you had brain surgery!

I hope the migraines stay away now, and your spirits stay restored. Take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

zeek

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:29:05 pm »
No, it wasn't a typo concerning my HAND pain, not head pain. What happened was this: When they preped me for surgery, they installed all kinds of monitoring equipment. One was sticking in my left arm. Well they bruised a nerve, and it hurts like @#%! After 3 months yet. They ran tests 2 months after surgery and said that is what happened. And that it will go away. I just don't know when. I didn't know if anyone else had this happen to them?
But, I did ask about the "head" sensation that I get when I run my fingers thru my hair. Kind of odd feeling, like being light headed. No big deal, just curious.

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:10:04 pm »
Zeek, I had a thumb and wrist nerve numbness for several years after a failed attempt to put an IV into my wrist.  The nerve pain and tingling sensations went away after several years.  The pains were attributed to the technician's lack of skill in performing the procedure. Hopefully, your problem will go away in time.  You might read here that several posters have reported elbow and shoulder afterpains, mainly from bruises, all part of the journey.  I believe most nerve pains clear up in months.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:32:16 pm by Boppie »

zeek

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »
Years? !!! My word, that's terrible. I can't imagine living with this pain that long. My pain is in my fingers. It's hard to type, so if I make mistakes that's probably why. Anyway, I was told it should be months, not years. I was getting better with it about a week ago, then I don't know what happened, it got worse. It's like my fingers feel as if they were burnt at times, other times, it feels like a tingel, or sharp pain, or just plain old constant pain. I had a brother in law that broke his wrist. He said it takes months to get over nerve pain. If they had not skrewed this up, I would have had very little pain, plus I never would have gotten hooked on those dreaded pain killers.
So we all have our little or in some cases large burdens to bear.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 10:58:34 pm »
Zeek:

I'm sorry I misconstrued your comments about hand pain.  Because you followed that comment with one about head pain, I assumed 'hand' was supposed to be 'head'.  Obviously, I was mistaken.  I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part, or, as my son would say: "My bad".  :)

Anyway, that certainly sounds unpleasant as well as inconvenient considering that you have to constantly use your hand.  Unfortunately, nerve damage can be a very l-o-n-g time in healing completely and so, that pain could be around awhile.  The frustrating part is that no one can realistically offer you a dependable timeframe as to when the pain will subside.  Intermittent pain and remission of the pain is another commonality with nerve-related pain.  I only know anything at all about this because my wife has suffered with various forms of nerve-related pain for years.  Much of it was due to spinal injuries.  Unfortunately, even correcting those spinal problems with extensive surgery (metal rods, etc) did not completely alleviate the pain because the nerve damage was extensive and, as we all know by now, takes a long time to heal.  I hope you're the exception and this hand pain issue resolves soon. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

satman

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 07:01:02 am »
Hi Zeek,for some strange reason my right hand ring finger in constantly numb,not sure what thats about,my AN was on the left side,my noggin was tender for close to a year and my jaw bone [left side] is still sore.not sure if it's from the translab or the 7-12 nerve jump.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:10:24 am »
Zeek~
HELLO!!  Glad things are getting better for you in the evenings - that is GREAT!!  However, cut yourself some slack if a bad night does creap in - it's OK to have one ONCE in a while!!

Sorry about your hand -- I just had a PICC line put in and they hit a nerve while inserting it. WOW!!  I don't know if I have ever felt pain like that - it was like lightening was going all the way to my hand & back up my arm!  AWFUL!  I had a few days where I couldn't move my arm or I'd get little shocks (the doc said it was probably sitting on that nerve) but it got better after a little over a week.  Thank goodness there does not seem to be any permanent damage.  Hopefully, yours will be better soon!
Hang tough!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

er

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 05:17:06 pm »
Hello Zeek,

Nice to hear you might have found your cure. I myself had to learn not to over do. 
I am 3 years 2 months out and yes it still feel odd when I rub my scared head.
eve