Author Topic: Lumbar Drain  (Read 17194 times)

sgerrard

Re: Lumbar Drain
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 09:20:49 pm »
It seems that in your absence Jim decided to take a cruise on the PBW - he's the 2nd moderator in attendance - no word on Joef or Steve (unless I just missed their presence).

fade in from the mist...Joe, I think the disguises are working...fade away into the mist
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tamara

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 08:01:58 pm »
Hey- I just found this thread.  I had the lumbar drain inserted while I was under for surgery, and had it for 2 days afterwards.  I also had prophylactic antibiotics administered beginning right before surgery and continuing for 24 hours (the correct protocol if you look it up).  I did NOT get meningitis.  I did fine until 8 days after surgery, when I developed a CSF leak through my incision.  Back to the OR for more stitches, staples, and glue (hopefully to be removed tomorrow).  Also was put on oral antibiotics.  I was also told that this was "almost unheard-of", but that in some people, the body's response to the stress of surgery is to produce more CSF.  So THAT might be the explanation as to why some of us get a leak, regardless.

Sam's probably a postie by now, so I don't know if this info is even useful, or relevant, but there it is...
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Sammict

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 02:45:32 pm »
Hi Tamara

I'm not a postie yet I had some complication and my surgery has been postponed until the fall. I was told that the Lumbar drain was to help prevent CSF leaks i'm sorry to hear that you had to go back in. Thank you for the update I was hoping that they insert while I'm under I have heard it is painfuill if they don't. My doctor did tell me every doctor is different but he does his during surgery so I was relieved.

Thanks for the feedback

Sam

TP

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 03:12:58 pm »
I had a lumbar drain put in several weeks AFTER my AN was removed. It did not hurt at all, just a little uncomfortable during the process which only took a few minutes and done in my hospital bed. Once inserted you stay in bed for the most part.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

ColoradoGal

• Can I make you a margarita?
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 11:43:02 am »
Based on my research - It is standard practice to put in drains at Barrows Neurological Institute for surgery.  My understanding is that they think there are benefits during surgery (relieving spinal fluid pressure and allowing the cerebellum to fall back more) and it also helps post surgery.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:09:41 pm by ColoradoGal »
2.5cm x 2.8cm debulked Aug 2008 at Barrows
retrosig, Spetzler & Weisskopf
post-op SSD, but all the facial stuff is working!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 05:51:27 pm »
My surgeon told me that they will do a lumbar drain (he trained at Barrows) and that it is to prevent pressure from building up in the brain after surgery.  I said "I do music, you do medicine, do what you need to do." By that point I had already been told by a surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic that they would do that as well. At least here in Cleveland it seems to be common practice.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.