Author Topic: Lumbar Drain  (Read 17235 times)

Sammict

Lumbar Drain
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:46:56 am »
Hi Everyone

One of the things my neurosurgon said he would placing a Lumbar Drain for the excess fluid. He said it would stay in for 3 days after surgery.

He is a very good doctor he has done many AN Very Experienced but from everyones posts I am not reading to much about the Lumbar Drain so it's making a little nervous.

Has anyone had one ? And I am hoping I am not awake when they do it I here it is very painful.

Sam

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Lumbar Drain
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:06:31 pm »
Hi Sam,

I, personally, don't know of anyone that had a "pre-planned" lumbar drain, but I do know of a user on this site (she's been rather quiet lately but do a search of her screennic and suggestion would be to send her a PM/email), Gennysmom, who did have a CSF leak and they  did (I believe) an 8 day lumbar drain when they discovered the CSF leak.   Off the top of my head, she comes to mind first.

Hope that helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sammict

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:34:40 pm »
Phil

Thank you I will check it out.

I am putting together a bunch of questions  for my doctors when I meet with them again on the 19th i can also find out more then.

I am just hoping it's something they do once they put me out I don't want to be awake for it.

Thanks Sam

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:48:01 pm »
Sammict,
  I had a lumbar drain for a few days after AN surgery.  It was done sometime during surgery, in the lower back area, while I was "asleep", and did not hurt at all.  It was taken out either the day before or the day they let me out of the hospital.  I was aware that the lumbat drain was there, but it really didn't bother me as far as sleeping, or getting out of bed and walking around, etc.  I think the lumbar drain is there to make sure that cranial fluid pressure is low, allowing the skull intrusion area to heal up as fast as possible, which minimized possible infection of CSF (meningitis), and perhaps allowing for some swelling without cranial pressure going up.  Don't worry about a lumbar drain, it really won't bother you.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:50:42 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Catflower

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:23:43 pm »
I also had a lumbar drain for a few days after my surgery.  It was placed during the time I was under anesthesia.  It didn't bother me at all.  The only thing that hurt was when the doctor took it out and put a couple of sutures in.

Linda in WV

Sammict

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:50:12 pm »
Thank you so much for your responses I have been hearing hoarer stories about how they do it while your awake and how much it hurts.

I feel so much better.

Thanks soo much

Sam

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:31:33 pm »
Hi Sam,

I also had a lumbar drain for three days after my surgery.  It didn't bother me at all.  I only really know that I had it because my sister mentioned it.  No pain at all that I recall.  They must have put it in during the end of my surgery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:32:56 pm »
Sam -

it's okay to ask the doctor to make sure the drain is put in after they put you out (anesthetize you, that is).  I didn't have a lumbar drain, but I did have a catheter - I think just about everybody does - due to the length of the surgery.  I asked my doctor to make sure the catheter was put in once I was asleep because I've had one placed while I was awake and it was no picnic.  He said it would be no problem and he was true to his word.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeff

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 07:05:14 pm »
I also had a lumbar drain for a few days after my first surgery. And mine too was inserted while I was under anesthesia. My doctor said that they did this as a matter of course. I had a CSF leak after my second surgery and had to be readmitted. I had the drain inserted while I was awake and I agree that it does hurt. But, I would guess that you will get yours while under anesthesia. Best wishes on your surgery!
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Sammict

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 07:44:24 am »
Thanks so much everyone I feel much better about it.

Thanks Again Sam

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 09:12:16 am »
Sam -

just another note about this.  I've talked to two or three people within the past week who are scheduled for AN surgery soon and they tell me that some doctors are now inserting the lumbar drain during surgery as a "just in case".  So it appears it's becoming a natural addition to the surgical process.

That way if you need it, it's already in place and they don't have insert it post op while you are awake.  And if you don't need it, no harm done; they just remove it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sammict

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 01:24:58 pm »
Hi Jan

My husband says he remembers the doctors telling us that they do put in as a percaution. I just never asked when they put it in.

I started reading testimonials that they are typically done while your awake. So I got a little nervous.

But it sounds like I can request to have it done after I go under.

Thank you
Sam

lori67

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 01:30:53 pm »
Hi Sam.

I just spoke with a woman the other day who said she's having the lumbar drain put in at surgery time.  I've never heard of this, but it must be one of those things that some doctors to routinely, and others don't.  I'm sure they'll wait until you're under to do it as I'm sure they wouldn't intentionally inflict pain if it's not neccessary. 

Good luck to you.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

oHIo

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 09:09:50 pm »
I was told prior to surgery that I might have a lumbar drain (decision to be made by the neurosurgeon during surgery).  I did not wake up with one, but ended up with one for 6 days after my CSF leak.  They numbed the area, I believe they gave me some "happy" medicine and I don't remember feeling a thing.  I had been worried about it, but it was not a big deal.  The IV was more painful.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 12:01:11 pm »
I never had a lumbar drain.  I didn't experience a CSF leak so I didn't need the drain.  My neurosurgeon told me that when he opened up my skull, CSF 'shot' out because it was under pressure from the AN (not much room in there).  However, putting one in during surgery doesn't seem like a bad idea and is certainly easier on the recovering patient.   Interesting new approach. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.