Author Topic: Joke: ANs don't seem to come in inches!  (Read 5959 times)

calimama

Joke: ANs don't seem to come in inches!
« on: April 24, 2008, 01:49:51 pm »
a little joke from Toronto Canada here...(humor helps right?!  ;))

When i first came to this site i found it kind of curious to find all of you Americans talking in mm's and cm's.
I was thinking/laughing to myself about this... here is my little joke... (no offence really  ;D

doctor:   "I am sorry to tell this, but your MRI shows you have 2.2 x 1.8 centimeter acoustic neuroma".
american patient: "what's a centimeter?"

hee hee... :D
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Joke: ANs don't seem to come in inches!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:02:08 pm »
Thanks for the joke
It's important to keep our humor.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:04:23 pm »
That's actually very funny!  And, you are right - how completely ironic that all we Americans are so comfortable measuring our tumors (of all things!) with metrics?

Thanks for the laugh!

Debbi (hyper-aware of metrics in NJ)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 02:05:42 pm »
Calimama:

Thanks for the humor.   :D

Although most Americans are not really comfortable with the metric system the medical profession uses it for almost everything, so we've learned to adapt.  Still, I had to Goggle up a metric-to-inches conversion chart when I found out what size my AN was.  I was not comforted to learn that it was almost 2 inches, although that sounded a bit better than 4.5 centimeters.  I still prefer the U.S.measuring  system although I can deal with the metric, when necessary. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:13:36 pm »
*raises hand*

Guilty!

:)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tamara

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 02:56:45 pm »
It is my belief that in the US, we have developed an intrinsic idea of the English system.  For instance, we all had a ruler in grade school that was 12 inches long.  We understand how comparatively warm it will be by the temperature:  70's is shorts weather, 30's is winter coat.  We've all seen signs saying 1 mile to the exit - so have a feel for the distance.  I work in science, so understand the metrics just fine, but I have to convert it in my head to really understand.  I think the only thing Americans have a deep understanding of is how much 2 liters is... :D

Calimama -
  I'm going to be in Toronto this Sunday, have from about 2:30 - midnight.  What would you suggest for an evening?  Any clubs or restaurants you'd recommend?  A friend will be driving up from Rochester to hang out with me, and we'll be looking for something interesting (and child-free!) to do.  PM me if you get a chance.

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

lori67

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 04:17:45 pm »
I think your joke is perfect!  Right on target!  The whole metric system is just one of those things they tried to teach me in school - but it never did sink in.

However, I not only know how much 2 liters is - I know how long a 5K race is...more or less.... ???

They even tried to make me learn it again in nursing school.  No luck then either.  I guess I just won't be doing math outside of the US.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

calimama

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:56:57 pm »
GOTCHA!!!!

ha ha!

actually, i remember learning metric in school... i THINK that it was "introduced" when i was like 7 or 8 (i have no idea). I kind of remember having a hard with it too... weird cuz it's supposed to be easier. Anyway, i am kind of bilingual... i am comfortable with KMs and Miles (i actually ran the NYC marathon in 2002 so i trained in min/miles). I do cups, feet, pounds (i lived in Australia many years ago and had a hard time adapting to weighing myself in Kilos... but once i got used it i was fine). I can only do warmer temps in F. (like 70 and up).

I only know my height in feet and weight in pounds. GUILTY!  ;)
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 11:24:43 pm »
I am totally clueless when it comes to the metric system.

I remember having to learn it as a child because we were told that the U.S. was going to be following the lead of other countries and make the switch.

That was about 35+ years ago, and as I told my children's math teacher just a few months ago (when neither of them could make heads or tails out of the metric system), I'm still putting gallons of gas into my car - not liters!  I don't think I'll ever understand it  ::)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 11:38:57 pm »
Good one Calimama.  And so true.  As a former sprinter, I know what a 100 meters, 200 meters and 400 meters are.  But I have absolutely no idea what 1 1/2 centimeters is beside -- gone.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 05:23:57 am »
Guilty..............I asked my doctors how many inches that was and they looked at me like I was nuts.  They may understand the metric system , but I don't and I wanted to know.  One smart one said, "Go home and figure it out!"
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 05:41:41 am »
had to ask my bloke (very well versed on metric, being the Brit that he is) what was the equivelent of mm to the inch...... I felt so stoopid!  ::)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

AJ

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 10:37:12 pm »
 ;D  another guility party here!  One of my very first posts, I remember stating my AN was about an inch long, but I didn't know the cm size but said I would definitely find out because everyone on this board posted their AN sizes in cm.  Hahaha, too funny!
2.5cm AN diagnosed 3/25/08 Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Some hearling loss in right AN ear.
Slight Tinnitus and slight imbalance.
CK scheduled for May 28th! Woohoo!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 10:41:14 pm »
I hate to point this out, but apparently things are only going to get more confusing.

I received my WTT application from the ANA last weekend and it said that I should be aware that now docs are using mms instead of cms when diagnosing ANs  ::)

Guess I'll have to find one of those websites that has a conversion table.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 02:53:46 pm »
Uh, I don't remember the docs checking with us on that change.

I say we veto the idea.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.