Author Topic: Facial Schwannoma, This is not AN related, but almost unbelievable!  (Read 1635 times)

Raydean

This came off of AOL news.  The picture of the young girl with tumor is unbelievable.  As difficult as our health care system can be, we can be thankful that we have medical care available to us.  I am also thankful that this girl will receive the medical she has needed for years.  It certainly gave me alot to think about

Best to all
Raydean

Doctors to Remove 16-Pound Facial Tumor
AP
Posted: 2008-04-23 11:13:06
Filed Under: Health News
MIAMI (April 23) - A Vietnamese girl with a 16-pound facial tumor is in Miami awaiting surgery to restore her ability to eat and speak.

Fifteen-year-old Lai Thi Dao suffers from a Schwannoma tumor that has been growing since she was 3. The tumor has severely disfigured her face and kept her from ever attending school.

Wilfredo Lee, AP
Lai Thi Dao, 15, appears with doctors Tuesday at a news conference in Miami. Doctors plan to remove her facial tumor, which interferes with her breathing, on April 29.

Doctors at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center say the tumor threatens to suffocate Lai. They will remove it in a 10-hour surgery on April 29.

Schwannoma tumors are usually benign. Lai's doctors say the size of her tumor is extremely rare and that it likely won't return once it's removed.

The International Kids Fund is seeking donations to fund Lai's surgery.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2008-04-23 09:48:54
Must Read?90 % 10 % 130 VOTESSHARE  IM THIS Article to a Friend  EMAIL THIS Article to a Friend
Bookmark:
Sign InHelpRecent Comments
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Facial Schwannoma, This is not AN related, but almost unbelievable!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:04:01 pm »
Wow, 16 pounds!

Thanks for sharing this Raydean.

It reminds me of how truly lucky I am.

I'm glad to see she's getting the help she needs.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:06:55 pm »
WOW!  That's more than TWO of my babies put together!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:12:55 am »
Raydean:  It was on the news here in Miami (duh).    The group of surgeons who will operate are the same group that removed
a massive tumor on the face of a young girl from Haiti.    Amazing work these sugeons are doing ! !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:46 am »
I've read about it too and my thoughts and prayers are with the little girl and the doctors.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT