Author Topic: washing eye ointment out in the morning  (Read 11253 times)

Karen

washing eye ointment out in the morning
« on: April 13, 2008, 11:03:45 am »
After filling my eye with ointment at night what do you do to wah it out in the AM?  Have any of you used a saline solution?  So far I am a month without my eye weight, my eye closes at night but I have to really concentrate to blink it during the day.  I have an appointment with Jackie Diels next month hopefully she can help me relearn to blink.  Otherwise I may have a lighter weight put in.  My doctor wasn't sure how light to go.  Have any of you tried Genteal severe gel?  What about Celluvisc?  Karen
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:32:34 pm by Jim Scott »
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Kaybo

Re: wahing eye ointment out in the morning
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:19 am »
Karen~
I use Refresh PM -- it is actually made to be used by anyone at night and then you should be able to see normal the next morning.  I have acyually used it when my "good" eye is exceptionally tired & had no problems the next day so I don't see the need to "wash it out"... When I had no weight, I had to use RefreshPM 24/7, but w/ the weight (now platinum), I use Systane once in the morning...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:15:58 pm »
Karen,

I wash it out good in the shower, then use oil-free eye makeup remover (Clinique makes a good one) to get it off my lashes, then I follow up with just plain eye wash.  Baush and Lomb makes a good one of those for sensitive eyes and it's pretty cheap and lasts a while.  Before long, you figure out a routine that works.

I use either the lacrilube or the Refresh PM at night and that works pretty well for me.  The celluvisc is a little too thin for me for nighttime and a little too thick for daytime, but I did use it during the day immediately post-op.  I find I have to make adjustments along the way to get things just right.  I have a nice little collection of eye products in my bathroom.

I hope you have good luck with that blink too.  That would certainly make things easier!  And cheaper too!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

satman

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:35:26 am »
Hi Karen,if you can stand it,it probably wont matter,me personally, I have yet to actually wash it out,I do use drops which I guess flushes it out,I also use a warm washcloth as a compress and that feels pretty good
I have yet to hear about retraining your eye to blink,my DR. [eye] said right now I dont have the blink reflex but when I concentrate on it I can make it blink.
Be careful on the Genteal,when I used that stuff it made my eye red and burned like you know what.
If you train your eye  to blink please let me know so I can go that route.
for drops I use naturale tears 2,and lacri-lube for the ointment.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

calimama

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 01:42:24 pm »
I found an eye wash kit at the drug store (i am in Canada) and it has a sterile solution (containing witchhazel) and a little eye cup. I have used it the past 2 mornings and it helps get out the ointment and is quite refreshing. I use drops right after, and as needed.
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:26:17 am »
I got the Bausch and Lomb eye wash at the drug store - it also comes with the little eye-cup which is what I use to clean my eye in the morning.  I really like the way it feels and the eye cup is easier for me that squirting the solution in my eye.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com