Author Topic: Skull Based Institute - endoscopic surgery  (Read 6620 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Skull Based Institute - endoscopic surgery
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:42:19 pm »
Has anyone heard about the Skull Base Institute (SBI) in Los Angeles?

Or does anyone know anything about minimally invasive endoscopic brain surgery to treat an acoustic neuroma?

I'm kind of thinking there might have been a post about this somewhere on the forum, but I'm not sure  ???

I know someone with an AN who found their website http://www.skullbaseinstitute.com/index.htm and is looking for feedback.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jerseygirl

Re: Skull Based Institute - endoscopic surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:11:50 am »
I had an endoscopic surgery at SBI. It was a regrowth so it is probably a different and more serious situation than that of the person who wants to find out about SBI. There is a lot of information on this board about SBI and endoscopic surgeries (I know of two other places that do endoscopic surgeries). Just do a search on "endoscopic" and "SBI". I would be happy to answer any questions about SBI.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:16:21 am »
Thanks, Eve.

At some point I am going to pass this information along to Monica - the woman who asked me about it - and she might want to contact you with questions.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OTO

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:36 pm »
See post "My AN Story.." by Ryan under General Category - AN Issues.  His father went to SBI, and it was very successful.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 06:08:02 am »
Thanks, OTO.

Monica (Mony) has actually joined the forum, so she's probably read your post.

Jan

ceeceek

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:09:48 am »
I also had endo approach for a skull base tumor...not at SBI.
I live in SW FL and had surgery completed by Dr Melvin Feild at the Orlando Neurosurgery Center. He is a very competant Dr and so far so good.....I had follow up treatment with cyber and the results are promising. If your freind has any questions, they may also feel free to contact me as well.
Ceeceek

Hey Jersey girl!! How is life treating you so far? back to work and all yet?
Give me a note.
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:51:56 am »
Thanks, ceeceek - I'll mention your post to Monica in case she doesn't see it.

Jan

Mony

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 03:44:53 pm »
I also had endo approach for a skull base tumor...not at SBI.
I live in SW FL and had surgery completed by Dr Melvin Feild at the Orlando Neurosurgery Center. He is a very competant Dr and so far so good.....I had follow up treatment with cyber and the results are promising. If your freind has any questions, they may also feel free to contact me as well.
Ceeceek

Hey Jersey girl!! How is life treating you so far? back to work and all yet?
Give me a note.
HELLO CEECEEK AND JAN....WHEW!   I FINALLY GOT HERE AFTER A FRUSTRATING TIME NAVIGATING THROUGH THIS USER UNFRIENDLY WEB SITE.    OH...I'M BAD!    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE CEECEEK ABOUT THE FLORIDA FACILITY YOU MENTION AND THE PROCEDURE AND THE WHOLE WORKS.     CAN YOU WRITE ME AN EMAIL INSTEAD OF THE POSTING THING?   I'M ON THE SYSTEM MOST OF THE DAY AND WOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS MY EMAILS EASIER/BETTER.    I WOULD PERSONALLY LIKE TO TALK TO YOU AND IF YOU WOULD PROVIDE ME WITH A NUMBER, I'D CALL.   

(Hi Monica, Phyl here and welcome. Glad you found us... please know I had to edit your post to remove your personal contact info as its against site rules to publically note it in a post/thread. I know the gang here would be fine with emails/PM's here to share the info...... site rules noted in our Furum Nettiquettes can be found here:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=4.0.  Thanks for understanding... and again, welcome. Phyl)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:50:22 pm by ppearl214 »

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 09:43:02 pm »
There was someone here who posted alot about SBI in 2010 but couldn't get it approved so went to a hospital in MI.    I don't know why her insurance wouldn't let her go there.    The talk with the docor on the phone was $600.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 01:51:15 pm »
Mei Mei -

this thread was started in 2008 and there have been many more posts about SBI since then.

Thanks for your input though  :)

Jan