Author Topic: Welcome Baaack!!!  (Read 3918 times)

Mama R

Welcome Baaack!!!
« on: April 07, 2008, 06:55:50 pm »
Debbie - It is so GOOD to hear you are up, about and coping well. After all you have been through I can hardly talk about my experience when people ask..Yours is much more juicy! You are a real trouper..

I had no singing but apparently I was jibbering about coyotes and pictures of my family on the walls of my ICU room!!  I am so blessed to have had only a 5 hour surgery, a tumor that was completely & more simply pealed away from the nerve, and the worst that happened was I was pretty GREEN for the 3 hours in recovery (which I don't even recall) sleepless nights from steroids and headaches which are gradually ceasing and almost nil. I was actually gardening Saturday...(Although I must say I am whipped since then!)

The support from my family,friends and this forum has been incredible. THANK YOU, ALL!!

P.S. People are still bringing me dinners. (Only wish I could taste it!)

Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

Kaybo

Re: Welcome Baaack!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:13:49 pm »
Ohio Also~
So glad that you are doing so well and that you had a pretty good go of it!!  Gardening will ALWAYS make you better, in my book!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:15:45 pm »
Ohio Also -

nice to see you back, postie!  And I'm glad your surgery was only 5 hours and that you are doing well  :)

All the talk about jibbering and singing is making me wonder what I did in the recovery room before they moved me to ICU.  I only recall waking up in ICU, but I'm sure before they would have moved me there, I would have had to wake up in recovery.  Wonder what embarrassing things I did  ???

Don't worry too much about your taste, chances are it will return.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 07:11:42 am »
Welcome back.  Glad to hear all is going so well.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Denisex2boys

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 07:23:37 am »
Oh it is sooo' good to hear from you and that you are doing well!

I hope my recovery is good too - I will really miss gardening this year if I can't do it ........  ((((HUGS))))
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 08:28:32 am »
I am planning gardening as part of my rehab, too.  Something about springtime makes everything seem more positive.  So, let's hear it for gardening.  Of course, I'll have to get someone else to chase away the deer!

Debbi - B minus 22!!!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Mama R

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:42:30 pm »
Seems a lot of us like to garden!

I must clarify though that gardening was on the list of things 'NOT TO DO' until my first post op follow up. I am sure this is due to the fact that bending from the waist is not such a good idea. I suspect it was a comical sight sitting on my behind scooting as I was digging!!

Hmm...Scoot and Dig, sounds like it should be the title of something!!

Denkse with 2 boys - When is your surgery. I will keep you in my prayers.
1 cm

oHIo

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:27:53 am »
Ohio Also...good to hear you are back to doing more.  Have you had your post op visit?  I see neurosurg tomorrow and I saw neurotology yesterday.  I do remember seeing you at the hospital (hopefully I did not sing to you) but don't recall seeing the coyotes or your family pictures (between the medication we were all on, anesthesia, the fact we had brain surgery, etc., I'm sure if many of us could recall some of our "disconnected" moments, we all had a few).   ;D 

Keep me posted on how things are going.  I'll try to give you a call some time soon.  I'm still finding everything tastes like metal...except watermelon.  Go figure...I eat watermelon about once a year but have found it is the only food that tastes like it should taste. 

lori67

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 04:40:20 pm »
Glad you're back and doing well.  Hope someone took care of those coyotes in your hospital room.  Those darn coyotes - always hanging around the ICU like that.

I did gardening as part of my rehab also.  My husband built me some raised beds to plant herbs in - that way I didn't have to bend.  Ok, it was actually more because our yard is all rock and to try to dig a regular garden would have involved the use of dynamite or something destructive.  But he likes to tell people it was all for me.  What a guy.  Hopefully you'll be out digging and scooting before long.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Mama R

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 08:48:17 am »
Ohio...I had my first post op visit last Wed. I got the staples out and vistied with both Pensak and Theo. I am scheduled to come back down in May and and then June but I may try to combine those as you know it is a a 4 hr trip for me.

I am doing pretty good considering. The last few days were very tiresome. I'm not sure if I over did it Saturday by gardening or if it is 'just what it is' (recovery process). Today I feel pretty good, but now going to do too much just in case.

I started drinking protein fruit smoothie drinks yesterday to help supplement what I am not getting due to lack of appetite, plus Pensak suggested. The watermelon sounds like a potential fruit to be added to my concotions! Fruit seems to taste half way decent...But then so does fattening ice cream, like hot fudge sundaes with whip creme, nuts, & bananas. So much for a low fat protein diet!!   

Boy that eye sounds like a real pain..That would drive me crazy too. How are you adjusting to the hearing loss? It is not that big of adjustment for me but I had already lost 50%.Although I must admit I am making a conscience effort to situate myself so I can make the best of my other ear.

Sleeping is getting a little better but not the greatest.So off schedule but I have resigned myself to it. Doc said the same as you did..steriods.Wicked drug ( as you know) but necessary.

Off to walk and take advantage of this nice weather before it breaks...Good Ole NE Ohio!

1 cm