Author Topic: QUESTIONS ABOUT BLINKING  (Read 2912 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

QUESTIONS ABOUT BLINKING
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:47:19 am »
I HAD MY WEIGHT TAKEN OUT 9 DAYS AGO. BLINKING SOME ON MY OWN. I HEAR PEOPLE SAY "MY BLINK CAME BACK THIS WEEK" DO YOU WAKE UP ONE DAY AND IT WORKS OR IS IT A GRADUAL THING? MINE IS VERY WEAK. VERY ACHY WHEN I LOOK DOWN. DOES IT GET STRONGER WITH TIME?

neal r. lyons

Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT BLINKING
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 12:35:13 am »
Hello Crookedsmile.  Surprising to me that there has been a lack of response to this topic.  My right eye has not blinked since my surgery.  However, it's function has improved.  I did not have a weight installed.  I can now close it nearly as much as the other, whereas i  was a few millimeters short of full closure immediately after surgery(upon discharge)  So in my case there has been gradual improvement in function.  The eye still does not blink on its own.  I would suspect that facial nerve improvement also leads to eye function improvement.

Has anyone experienced a return of the blinking function after having lost it?

Thanks for the post Crookedsmile.  It's  been a topic of concern for me post surgery.    Best wishes, Neal

As I read subsequent posts I see that Rob's blinking returned after 4-5 weeks and Boppie also experienced some restoration.  It appears, as it often is, a case by case basis.

Eye eye captain- cheers!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 12:46:14 am by neal r. lyons »
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

er

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:14:12 pm »
Hello CROOKEDSMILE ,

In my experience, yes it does come back slowly. I assume when the nerves start healing or it might be the eye lid is getting stronger, like when you build a muscle. I am not sure but it does. It is not all back to normal but it is doing well I also don't have to use the eye drops like I use to. I can go days or weeks with out using eye drops but as soon as I get near a fan or air-condition that is direct in my face I really needed. I usually cover my eye up or use my sun glasses.
eve

vcschaub

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:17:11 am »
In my experience, the blinking returned slowly, but it did return fully. I had to use lots of eye drops and tape my eye at night. I believe full function returned after about 6 weeks.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:39:41 pm »
CROOKEDSMILE,

I woke up with full eye function after surgery… then the brain swelling kicked in and the eye went weird (eyelid paralysis and nystagmus)

Once they pumped me with steroids and anti-inflammatories yada yada… the nystagmus went away.

After about a month of eye goop and “the bubbleâ€? etc- I obtained  the temporary double sided sticky taped on eye weight. After about 6 months I did not need it and actually went a whole month without having to actually wear it … just using the occasional eye drop. Now with synkinesis I have regressed to wearing the eye weight  all the time.

I am hoping with neuro-muscular facial retraining therapy this eye will settle down… and I am determined to stick with this “band-aid-weight solution� for now…

Now that your eye-weight is out- would you be able to stick on a temporary weight for the interim or is there still a tender scar from where they took your weight out.

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!