Author Topic: I need my AN family, what a night  (Read 8670 times)

Yvette

• Yvette
I need my AN family, what a night
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:53:13 pm »
Hi all, I think I'm going to put a sign in my minivan's back window asking people to be patient. It is dark and snowing like mad in Minnesota right now. I don't usually even attempt to drive on a night like this, but with hubby out of town, I had to pick my son up from karate class. A person in a truck rode my backend, flashing his brights in my eyes. There was no where to pull over to let him pass. I guess he would have been happy if we just drove into the ditch so we'd be out of his way. Unfortunately he was behind me for a long stretch of a one lane street. Get this: he drives on the wrong side of the road to try to force me off the road. All the while spraying slush onto my windshield. I thought he was going to side ram me. All for going a few miles under the maximum speed limit during a snow storm.
Driving at night is so hard for some of us ANers. I'm a translab, and right now I hate the world. Not really I guess I'm just depressed. Since when is getting somewhere 5 minutes sooner, more important than another human being?

I'm sure you guys have all been in a tough spot due to AN post op troubles. I know I held up the escalator at the mall once. I was going to go up it, and my brain looked at those moving steps and said, "No way!"

Blessings, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Kaybo

Re: I need my AN family, what a night
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:08:51 pm »
Yvette~
So sorry that happened to you -- now you are home all safe & sound and will never have to deal with him again!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Glenda

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 09:17:48 pm »
Hello Annette,
I'm sorry you're having such a bad night.  I don't know why some drivers act like that.  I think they are selfish and only think about themselves and don't even consider there are real people in that other vehicle.  
For one thing it has been a long winter and I'm sure the snow and cold can rattle your nerves on top of everything else.  I know I get depressed in the winter.  It is getting warmer here and the flowers are blooming and it makes you feel so much better.  This week is rainy though so not as nice as last week.  I wish I could bottle up some nice weather and send to you.  Hopefully it will warm up soon for you and you will feel better.  Just know you're not alone and I'm glad you came here for support.  Hang in there and it will all seem better tomorrow.  
I am a wait and watcher so I haven't had surgery yet.  I may not understand everything you've been through but would be glad to talk to you if you want to PM me.
Sending comforting hugs :)
Glenda
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:29:44 pm by Glenda »
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 09:34:13 pm »
Thanks Glenda and Kaybo, it's nice to have a "safe" place to come to, you all are a blessing. I've been trying to diet, but I think tonight is a cookies and cocoa night. Wish you guys could come over and have some with me:-)

Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Glenda

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:40:08 pm »
Yummy, sounds good to me.... We're there with you in spirit ;D
Yes, I'd say it's definitely not a diet night ;)
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

claire1

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:49:03 pm »
Yvette.

Sorry you had to put up with the jerk.  Sometimes I wonder if we don't have a seventh sense about what is important in life other tha getting somewhere 5 minutes early.
You and you children safe and thats what important.  You handled it great.
BRAVO.                               ~
Have a cup of hot chocolate c(_)
Claire

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 06:16:12 am »
Yvette -

I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad experience last night.  Sometimes people drive like they are the only ones on the road!

I don't know if others would drive more cautiously around you if you had a handicap license plate.  Just a thought.

Hope today is a better day and that you don't get any more snow.  Our snow this weekend turned into rain.
Still not pretty, but at least I don't have to shovel it  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:07:18 am »
Hi Jan, I do have a disabled parking sign that I hang off my rearview mirror when I park, but no plates. Maybe having a rifle hang across my back window would do the trick too! Just kidding.

Claire, what a cute little cocoa mug you made with the keyboard! You may me smile:-)

Yvette

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 09:20:05 am »
Maybe having a rifle hang across my back window would do the trick too! Just kidding.

Yvette

In Minnesota I would think a rifle rack would be rather fashionable...It used to be in my neck of the woods here in upstate NY.
It also may have been enough of a deterrant for the other driver not to play games with you on the road like that. Ever since half of NYC  moved up to Orange County, drivers have been much more aggressive on roads that were not built for the speed nor the amount of traffic that is now on them.

Glad you made it home in one piece.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 11:08:04 am »
Hi Jan, I do have a disabled parking sign that I hang off my rearview mirror when I park, but no plates.

Well, all I can say now is that the driver was even more rude than I originally thought  >:(

And I agree; Claire's little cocoa mug was SO cute  :)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 02:16:35 pm »
Yvette:

I'm a few weeks late, but like the many previous posters, I'm sorry you had this harrowing experience.  The roads are overcrowded and full of jerks, these days.  I think the advent of all-wheel drive vehicles has made some people feel over-confident when driving on snow. Then we have the drugged drivers and the people driving drunk along with the terminally impatient idiots, all making driving more difficult.

I've had to deal with the tailgating, brights-on morons, too.  Fortunately, not in snow but then, like you, I usually avoid driving in snowy weather if at all possible.  Obviously, you had to be out in it to retrieve your son.   That you were harassed by some fool who decided that you weren't going fast enough for him on a snow-covered road, at night, is ridiculous.   I'm glad you made it home safely, no thanks to the moron driver who made the trip more dangerous than it had to be. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:23:20 am »
Yvette,
I'm so sorry you had to endure that jerk.  I'll say a prayer for him.  Maybe he will get a nudge!  I'm glad I no longer have to drive in snow and slush.  I'd probably just turn in my license (I'm sure there are many who wish I would!!) ::)
The sun will surely be out tomorrow!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 11:28:33 am »
Hey, we should start an AN community...we could buy an island, forbid cars and snow and jerks and have a national hot cocoa day!!

Blessings!
Yvette

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 01:39:37 pm »
That's one community I'd be more than happy to join  ;D

Jan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 01:59:58 pm »
That's one community I'd be more than happy to join  ;D

Jan

It's called the "Good Morning" thread in AN Community forum... with a dash of piratitude spice :D
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"