Author Topic: walking backwards and turning to the side  (Read 8407 times)

Boppie

walking backwards and turning to the side
« on: March 30, 2008, 02:00:54 pm »
I had no formal vestibular retraining but did my own exercises at home.  I am well past recovery of normal everyday actions, but I need a tip.  Did you learn a good exercise for the skill that involves walking backwards?  I've had several surprise instances of almost tipping backwards when stepping back on one foot and turning to leave a spot.  When I have this happen it is rather scarey.  This one poor move could be my demise someday.  Any help?

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: walking backwards and turning to the side
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:57:21 pm »
Boppie,

When you take a step backwards your feet are at a diagonal.  Try this one exercise as it has helped me tremendously. 

* Stand by a counter, table or between two highback chairs to keep you from falling or ask your partner to spot you.  Stand with your feet hip width apart with one foot in front (moreso to the side) of the other.  Your feet will look diagonal and hip width apart.  Distribute your weigth evenly on your feet.  Focus on something at eye level while slowly turning your head left, right.  Keep doing this very slowly until you get your balance, one minute should be enough. 
* Focus your eye on that spot and move head up and down slowly.  You will be able to increase the speed of your head turns when you get your balance. 

* More difficult:  Extend your arm at eye level holding your thumb up, moving your thumb to the right (a few inches) your head moves to the left (a few inches) all the while you are focused on your thumb. 
* Then move your thumb to the left while head turns to the right.  This, of course is very small movements. 
* Then try up and down while looking at your thumb, your head goes up while your thumb goes down.  Remember slow, very slow in the beginning increasing speed when you are balanced remember the thumb movements are small. 
* Extend your arm and thumb up and to the right.  Gazing at your thumb move it from up to the right to down left (diagonal movement across the body) one minute, repeat on other side. 
* Standing with your feet diagonal look quickly to the right and back to center, then quickly to the left and back to center for one minute, then up, center, down, center one minute, then diagonal up right, down left, one minute, switch up left down, right one minute. 
*  Advanced movements:  stand on a couch cusion while performing these.  This will similate soft surfaces such as carpeting, grass, sand. 

You'll feel this in your feet, ankles and legs.  Good strengthening exercise too.  Stronger muscles, better balance. 

Hope these help you. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:09:48 pm »
Arushi, Thanks so much for the information.  I almost fell in our choir loft today.  The other members gasped when they saw me tip and recover myself.

We take our strength for granted.  I will use each of these exercises.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:11:49 pm by Boppie »

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:10:59 am »
Arushi,

Thanks for the tips on backwards balance exercises.  I took retraining and after falling off the stationary bike more times than I could be upright I decided I had enough.  I have been doing my own and the ones you give sound like they might be just what I am missing.  A big thank you!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:56:21 pm »
I didn't realize you could do exercises to improve this. My husband just grabs me if I look like I'm tipping. Happens all the time; 110 pound german shephard greets me, and over I go.
Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 09:23:57 am »
Sure thing...my PT gal has me walking backwards and forwards as part of my rehabilitation .

That's usually when I lose my balance, when I have to step back and to the side or when my feet get placed one in front of the other. A simple move when getting something out of the car or perhaps getting out of someones way in a crowded situation.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Betsy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:53:21 pm »
Here's something I learned with vestibular therapy...turns aren't as wobbly if you focus your eyes in the distance before you make the turn.  Granted, it doesn't help if you're in hurry to turn and don't have a chance to think.

Strengthening my knees and ankles is helping too.  I use a wobble board for this, and good old fashioned walking.  I still have my "oops" moments, but it's much better than it was.  Glad you recovered your balance Boppie!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 05:41:09 pm »
..great responses here.  There is always room for improvement, eh?  Just ask and this forum blossoms. :)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 06:59:35 am »
This thread goes to show some we don't always have "crabby cake" moments!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 08:13:05 pm »
I guess this falls into this section... sometimes making a turn...say I am going to turn left... I just keep
turning and end up walking back in the direction I just came from because for what ever reason I
just keep turning... and if I try to stop myself from turning to far I almost fall... so just follow through
when it happens and then right myself as to which way I want to go...

it is funny sometimes ...especially when walking with someone and they just turn with me and then I
turn again and get back on track... have a co-hort at school that has did this dance with me several times
and never says a word... others look at us funny but we ignore them and continue on our way

I can step backwards if my feet are planted wide...if at normal width I step on my own feet... it is as
if my brain doesn't know where they are...

I copied off the exercises to add to collection...  thanks
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 12:23:58 pm »
I walk backwards and forwards moving my head up-down 4 trips. Then side to side then diagonal. each 4 trips.

I also walk three steps forwards, spin around thee steps backwards, spin and three steps forward etc.

With arms crossed walk heel toe three steps, stop and turn head side to side and repeat. That's a hard one.

My PT gal has me do some of this stuff on a tred mill and when I get off I still feel like I'm moving...

Dan ;)
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Boppie

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 03:00:48 pm »
Dan, Thanks for a description of your routine.  How good it is to get help here!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 06:54:10 am »
Bobbie,
 MY PT person had me walk down a hallway, and turn and walk backwards while I'm still moving down the hallway. Then trurn from walking backwards back to walking forwards.  First turning to the right a few times then turning left.  You can also try this with your eyes closed.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:56:12 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 08:51:35 am »
I was out late last night ... had the kayak out until 11pm !!  it put my balance skills to the test !! ... I did not tip over . but definity was a LOT more tippy than the daytime (and the water was smooth as glass -- moon was out plus with some street lights it was not 100% dark... ) 

you do have to practice balance skills again ..(your brain has to re-learn)   taking the train to work was "interesting" as first ... now its not so bad...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital