Author Topic: Removal of eye weight  (Read 4648 times)

Karen

Removal of eye weight
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:09:34 pm »
Can anybody give me some input n having their eye weight removed?  I had mine taken out last week.  Naturally it is still swollen and won't shut all the way when I try to blink/              I go to Jackie Diels and she says that this is normal it will take time but I am scared.  Tha docotr today said to keep it lubed up good and see him in 6 weeks.  I really wanted it out but now I am afraid that I made aistake!!  He wanted me to try without one then try a lighter one.  I don"t have feeling in my cornea so that makes it tricker.  I had the 12/7 nerve done 4 years ago with good results.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: Removal of eye weight
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 12:04:17 pm »
HI KAREN,
I WOULD THINK THAT THE SWELLING IS MAKING IT HARD TO GET GOOD MOVEMENT AND ONCE THAT GOES DOWN YOU WILL HAVE AN EASIER TIME. I GET MINE OUT ON MARCH 25 NOT BECAUSE WE THINK FUNCTION HAS RETURNED BUT BECAUSE MINE IS TOO HEAVY. IF YOUR FUNCTION HASN'T RETURNED  YOU OUGHT TO TRY THE EXTERNAL WEIGHT AND SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT. THAT IS WHAT I AM GOING TO DO. IF YOU DO HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER WEIGHT PUT IN AT LEAST IT WILL BE LIGHTER AND MORE COMFORTABLE I HOPE.
ANGIE

timtim

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:23:17 am »
Dear Angie

You say that your weight is too heavy. What are the symptoms of having a weight that is too heavy?
thanks
T
AN 45.0 mm diagnosed May2006
VP shunt July2006
posterior fossa surgery on August2006
FSR scheduled for July2007
Eye weight sometime 2007

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:59:58 am »
Hello~
Once I finally got my weight in, I have never been w/o one, but I have had 3 different ones put in -- 1st too heavy, 2nd too light, 3rd JUST RIGHT!!  I am having the T3 surgery on Friday (28th) and he is going to put in a platinum weight -- we'll see how that does!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Karen

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 12:57:47 pm »
Congrats on the upcoming surgery.  Why are they putting a different eye weight in?  How did you know that the weight was too light?  I go to Jackie Diels in May too help me with the blinking.   How long will the recovery from this surgery be?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:09:31 pm »
Hi T:   If a weight is too heavy, I think it causes the lid to droop;  also, I think the pressure from a too heavy weight would be causing pain to the eyeball & could damage the cornea.

Hey K:  Sending out positive thoughts & prayers to you.    Remember, you are going to be 'sore' (putting it mildly) for awhile.

Always good thoughts everyone,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 07:58:12 pm »
Nancy~
That is why is still haven't decided about what all I am going to do -- I don't feel ANYTHING on my right side so even though it will look bad (& I am sure I will have some cross over and just feel yucky in general), I HOPE I won't feel a lot of it!  The jury is still out as to whether I will do the browlift on the other side -- if insurance paid for it, then yeah, but that is a lot of money that can be spent on other things and other people!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:13:06 pm »
Well K, just like a mom - if anyone in your family was told the brow lift will help, you'd have them get it, but not for you ?
Of course it's your decision, just know you can put yourself 1st just once,  well, think about it.

I forgot you don't have feeling - I guess because I do have feeling, just no movement.
Do you get your cornea checked every 3 or 4 months ?   You're doing something right because in 12 years you haven't had corneal damage, that's great !

Okay, well wishes K,   Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Karen

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:46:58 pm »
Nancy,  How did you do when you had your gold weight taken out before they put the platinum in?  It's been two weeks and of course my eye won't blink unless I force it to.  I have an appoinment with Jackie Diels  in May.  She is supposed to help me wioth the blink.  If I make it that long.  It seems like all I do is put drops in my eye.  How did you last until they put the other one in?  I am begining to think I made a mistake       having it taken out.  I guess I am not giving myself enough time to adjust.  My doctor didn't want to put another weight  right in   because he wasn't sure how light to go.  Karen
Karen

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 06:08:11 am »
Hi Karen:   While my eye was still swollen there wasn't a problem, but once the swelling went down, I've been wearing the 'eye bubble' every night - it's like a moisture chamber;  I always needed (& still do) to use a lubricant every 3-4 hours while awake, or more often if my eye started burning.      I waited months for a new weight because the docs wanted my eyelid to heal.

BTW:   I recently went to my eye surgeon here in Fl. to see about getting a heavier weight - he told me there's no eye weight in my lid ! - so I called Johns Hopkins - Dr. Byrne re-checked his report & said the OR didn't order it in time !   Next week I go back to the eye surgeon & we'll set a date for the weight ! !     Dr. Byrne offered to put it in but I'll have it done down here, easier for me - I told him I'll save the 'tune-up' of the T3 surgeries for him.   So I've been just over 1 year without an eye weight !

Yesterday my co-worker told me to close my eyes - she said when I try to close them hard my AN eye almost closes all the way;  when I just blink, it closes very little.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Karen

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 06:36:39 pm »
Nancy, Did it not work not having an eye weight?  Also what did you do about your eye not shutting when you get your hair cut.  I get mine colored and am afraid now that I might get someting in it since it won't shut all the way.  Silly question but just wondering?  Does the eye ointment last 3 hours for you during thhe day?  Karen
Karen

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:51:02 pm »
Hi Karen:  Since I have paralysis, I need an eyeweight in.   I didn't need to use the 'eye bubble' at night when there was an eye weight. 
When I get my hair cut, I hold my hand over the eye.   When I was getting my hair colored,  I'd definitely use a towel & hold it over my eye.

Sometimes the eye ointment lasts 3-4 hours,  sometimes less than that.   Whenever I feel my eye beginning to burn, I add more lubricant.
(the questions aren't silly at all....).

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis