Author Topic: mouth numbness/tingling  (Read 4268 times)

kristin

mouth numbness/tingling
« on: November 13, 2005, 03:03:48 pm »
ok..is it just me or does this happen to anyone else?

when i brush my teeth, my AN side of my mouth tingles and i get shooting (not painful) sensations that go up to my incision site. this has been going on since my surgery, but i thought maybe it would have gone away by now?

kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Mary

Re: mouth numbness/tingling
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 07:15:56 am »
From what I've learned it sounds like the nerve is starting to regenerate itself.   The facial nerve may have been damaged during your surgery.   When it starts to get the feeling back it usually starts above the lip.

Mary

kristin

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 08:13:42 pm »
yeah, but i don't have any facial paralysis..just the mouth thing. really? no one else has this?
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 06:27:07 am »
I do too.  My teeth on surgery side are sensitive.  i often getting a buzzing sensation in my teeth like a shock, I have a tongue that feels like it's doubled in my mouth and can't feel my lips etc...I switched to a toothpaste for sensitve teeth and it has helped considerably.  When I stopped using it started hurting again to brush my teeth on my surgery side.  Again, I like to think the buzzings indicate my face will wake up and I'll regain the feeling there.

Take care,
M

luv2teachsped

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 07:06:38 pm »
Hi! 
     My mouth, tongue , face etc.. were also numb before and after surgery.  I am 6 months post-op and almost back to normal!  I still have a slight metallic taste, and every now and then bite or burn my lip, but hey...My face did exactly as you said.  It started to tingle for a long time as it healed!Good Luck! Take Care 8) luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 12:09:42 pm »

Yep, I have this too .. and the lower lip is moving now.. I actually snezned really hard yesterday (I getting a cold), and the upper lip tighted up!!, I ran to the mirror and I could see it looked normal!!, but then I watched it drop ..urrgggg..  I'm almost 4 months post op .. so I see this as a good sign of things to come!
   I got my BAHA this week !! so with my hearing back .. and getting some face movement .. life is returning to normal !!!

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Mary

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 07:59:44 pm »
Kristin,

Even though you don't have facial paralysis some part may have been damaged.   Tingling is usually a sign of either the numbing is strating or the nerve is regenerating.   My mother got the tingle on the side of her face before parts of her tongue and cheek went numb.   Hopefully she'll get the tingle went the nerve starts to heal.

Mary

tjc

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 11:38:40 pm »
Hi all,
I am about 9 1/2 weeks post  and back to work. I have  that  left side mouth tingle/numbness also and metalic taste from about a day after surgery.
Food just does not taste the same. Facialy I came out with only about 2-3 % facial paralisys and you can't hardy tell,
I can't whistle like I used to though.  Sometime it seems like the taste in my mouth changes it is really strange like coming from the dentist
and never having the numbness go awway. The Dr's say it may be permenant. I have no hearing in my left ear sometimes it kinda
burps and I think I hear but I just can't tell.I had hearing right after surgery and then it went away Dr's say it may or may not come back.
 I still  have a fullness in my left ear and some ear and head aches.... THe mouth issue and the hearing make
me the most sad but I am glad it was not worse,,,,

8mm AN  left ear removed  9/12/05  suboccipital aproach at Oregon Health Science University by Neurotologist Sean Mcmenomey and Neurosurgeon Dr. Johnny Delashaw.