Author Topic: first Golf game 5 1/2 months after surgery  (Read 2016 times)

waypoint

first Golf game 5 1/2 months after surgery
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:32:08 am »
Well I participated in a Golf Tournament this past weekend. It was somewhat short notice. I was very happy with my progress to date, so I accepted the invite. Before the start, I went out to the driving range with six balls to just see if I could drive the ball. After the first hit, I knew I had a problem. Hitting the ball was fine, balance wasn't an issue. Where I had the problem was tracking the ball. As soon as I hit the ball and turn my head to look for the ball, I realized my AN eye still has a lag. It doesn't affect me in day to day activities, but with fast motion, its just not fast enough to find the ball leaving the tee and tracking it. I am sure this has to do with some facila paralysis on the AN side. Granted, this problem only occurs when I have a good drive and the ball really screams.  Reality is my golf game still sucks, before and after AN. So, most of the time the ball wasn't getting very after anyways and tracking wasn't a big issue until I had a good crack.  Most of the time, I had the other guys keep an eye on the ball when I teed off.

We didn't win, but I did have a good time. I was alittle tired after the game, but felt good that I tried it and didn't let AN be a show stopper to playing golf.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

jtd71465

Re: first Golf game 5 1/2 months after surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:57:16 am »
Great to hear.  One of my loves prior to surgery was golf and I was extremly concerned I would not be able to play again.  As it turned out I played more last year then in the previous years.  I told the Dr. prior to surgery to remove my slice...guess he forgot.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:58:35 am »
waypoint,
 Congrats on getting back to the golf course.  Hopefully that means that you're back to all the activities you used to do.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:01:31 pm »
For some reason, my golf game improved significantly after AN surgery.  Handicap went from 28 to 21 in the 3 1/2 yrs post op.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:30:11 pm »
waypoint, nothing like trying to get back to the "norm" of our lives as best as we can! Good for you! :)  Sounds like you had fun although your eyes didn't want to cooperate, but thrilled you got back into the "swing" of things! :)  Good on you! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 11:19:40 pm »
Congrats on the return to golf!  Probably just need some new clubs.  That's what I always blame it on!  ;D
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 01:12:25 am »
Great to here, in the 4 weeks before surgery I played 3 rounds of golf with my brothers in the USA.  The first time I had hit a golf ball in almost 30yrs. I would really like to play more but here in germany the courses are all privately owened and you have to be a member to play.  I do have the option of going to a military post or air base but there are only 3 or 4 courses in germany.  I think I would have a problem finding the ball after I hit it because I still have problems with fast head turning.  Keep us informed of how your golf game is going and if you learn any helpful types on ball tracking.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

waypoint

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 02:42:35 pm »
Dan, there is a fool proof way of always tracking the ball, but it requires that you give up much distance. I found that on the tee, if I top the ball or ****le it, the ball doesn't even get past the women tees. And these are the cases where I don't mind loosing the ball. Of course I can't claim that I lost it, when its sitting 15 feet in front of me. LOL....

I was a  good time and I'm sure thing will improve in time.

I have actually notice that my facial muscle has improved alot since I have returned to work. In church, I practice facial muscle control by alternately winking my eyes. I fear the priest is beginning to think I'm hitting on him..... :D
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 01:41:11 am »
waypoint, I also noticed after I went back to work faster improvement in facial muscle control, I noticed that I did facial exercises almost every half hour because it helped to keep my eye moist enough that I didn't need cream as often.  Before I went back to work I only did the exercises 2-3 times a day.

Your golf tip is good, the problem is when I went golfing the hole that I always topped the ball on was the hole that had the water hazard just past the ladies tee and I always got it past the ladies tee, so I always knew where the ball was (because of the SPLASH) just wasn't able to play it any farther (1 time 3 balls in a row and this before surgery).  Maybe I can find some one that will go with me before another 30yrs go by.

Dan in Germany

US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany