Author Topic: Insurance Denying Payment for BAHA  (Read 10402 times)

Catflower

Insurance Denying Payment for BAHA
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:09:05 am »
The hospital just called to inform me that BC/BS stated that insertion of the implant and the processor were not a covered service. 

Do any of you that have had success with getting BC/BS to pay happen to know the procedure code that was submitted to the insurance?

lori67

Re: Insurance Denying Payment for BAHA
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 08:54:04 am »
Catflower -

The code should be 69714 (implant, temporal bone with stimulator).

Try calling your doctor or audiologist and have them appeal the BC/BS decision.  My audiologist said many insurance companies deny it the first time because they really don't know what it is - but when they send in the medical documentation and a letter from the doctor and audiologist explaining the medical necessity, he's always had it approved.

My insurance company stinks as far as I'm concerned, and if they paid for my BAHA - I would think BC/BS would - they're much better.

Good luck.  Sometimes you have to really fight for what you want - it shouldn't have to be that way.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:08:37 am »
Catflower -

I too have heard that sometimes insurance companies deny coverage the first time, but approve it the second.  As Lori pointed out, its oftentimes a matter of educating them as to what you are asking for and why you need to have it. 

My insurance company was totally unfamiliar with BAHAs - had no idea what they were or why I would need one - but I found out that they cover Cochlears and used that as part of my case.  BAHAs are to unilateral deafness as Cochlears are to bilateral deafness.  Once they knew what a BAHA was and got the information from my doctor they decided they would cover it.  They also requested a copy of my medical records - probably to make sure I truly was SSD - which is a little amusing to me because they just paid for my AN surgery about 9 months ago and got the surgical reports that say I'm completely deaf in my left ear.  Go figure.

Hang in there; I'm hoping this turns out in your favor,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Catflower

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:53:47 am »
Catflower -

The code should be 69714 (implant, temporal bone with stimulator).

Try calling your doctor or audiologist and have them appeal the BC/BS decision.  My audiologist said many insurance companies deny it the first time because they really don't know what it is - but when they send in the medical documentation and a letter from the doctor and audiologist explaining the medical necessity, he's always had it approved.

My insurance company stinks as far as I'm concerned, and if they paid for my BAHA - I would think BC/BS would - they're much better.

Good luck.  Sometimes you have to really fight for what you want - it shouldn't have to be that way.

Lori

Lori, thanks for the information.  Is that the procedure code or the ICD-9 code?

1wareagle

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:52:56 am »
Catflower

It has to be coded like Lori said. I have BC/BS and it paid, less my deductable. Get your doctor to recode it and you should be fine.

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:38:14 pm »
Very encouraging news from Ellis.  Hope this helps solve the issue, Catflower.

Let us know how it goes,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:17:25 am »
Catflower -

I actually don't know what type of code it is.  They just referred to it as a billing code or something.  Sorry - I've never understood medical billing.  ???

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Catflower

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:09:25 am »
Catflower -

I actually don't know what type of code it is.  They just referred to it as a billing code or something.  Sorry - I've never understood medical billing.  ???

Lori

I don't understand the coding either.  The only thing I know is that you darn well better have something that can be coded or your SOL. >:(

lori67

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:29:08 am »
Exactly!  And I am beginning to think they're making up the codes as they go along and not telling anyone else about them.  Must be a "secret" code!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 07:15:50 pm »
Catflower -

good to see that you say "SOL" also.  It's a term I picked up from my father, who used to swear to us when we were kids that it meant "stuck on a log".  He also used to say "TS" which he told us meant "tough sailing"  ;D

Ah, childhood memories - can't beat 'em.

Any word from the insurance company today?

Jan

Catflower

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 11:13:10 am »
Catflower -

good to see that you say "SOL" also.  It's a term I picked up from my father, who used to swear to us when we were kids that it meant "stuck on a log".  He also used to say "TS" which he told us meant "tough sailing"  ;D

Ah, childhood memories - can't beat 'em.

Any word from the insurance company today?

Jan

The finance person from the hospital called yesterday.  She gave the code Lori mentioned to their "coder" and they are resubmitting it to the insurance using that code.  I hope I hear something this week.  I'm scheduled for April 8 and that will be here before we know it.

lori67

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 11:18:01 am »
I don't know why they bother hiring "coders" when we have to do all the work ourselves.  You should send them a bill for services!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Lori

Tamara

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 06:28:04 pm »
ICD-9 codes are for diagnoses, and CPT codes are for procedures or treatments.  The BAHA code is a CPT code.  I will do some digging when I am at work tomorrow (I work for an allergist), and see if I can get some codes of both sorts that maybe we should all know.

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Catflower

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 09:42:37 am »
Here's the latest on my insurance saga:  The hospital finance person called this morning to tell me the insurance approved the procedure using the code Lori said to use.  I asked if that included the processor.  She's checking on that now and is to get back to me.  I also told her to make sure it's all in writing.

lori67

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 10:07:27 am »
Yay!  One step at a time!!  Stick to your guns - you're almost there!!

Lori