Author Topic: 5 days post op, and doing okay  (Read 5320 times)

JHager

5 days post op, and doing okay
« on: November 11, 2005, 02:10:55 pm »
Hey everyone,

Just a quick update.  I'm home, and feeling pretty good. Feeling good equates entirely to how much rest I get, so I'm not exerting myself at all.  (Who knew TYPING could be tiring?!?!)

Surgery went well, and I'm pretty functional - surgeons and I are happy.

Now, if I could just figure out how to loosen a stiff neck!

Talk to you all later.

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

shoegirl

Re: 5 days post op, and doing okay
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 04:13:26 pm »
Josh,

I am so happy to hear you are home! And you are able to type! WOW!  I am very impressed! I  read your carepages and it sounds like everything went well.

I haven't been through this - so I can't offer any advice - other than get lots of rest and give yourself lots of time to heal.  But I wanted to wish you all the best and hope that your recovery continues to go well!

Take care!
Suzanne
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 04:15:08 pm by shoegirl »
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

tgentile

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 04:34:50 pm »
Hey Josh-
Glad to hear that you are doing well. I'm 7 days post op and just started to get my neck loose. Not fully, but enough that I can sleep on the incision side.

Are the meds making you hungry? I'm always famished. I'm afraid that I'm going to put on a ton of weight.

-Tony

matti

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 05:12:58 pm »
Happy to hear you are back home and on the road to recovery. The toughest part of this process is over, I am proud of you and I continue to keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Remember, you have a get together in Vegas to start planning.

Take care and welcome home,
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 07:12:41 pm »
Josh: I also had the neck issue and it didn't clear up until I went for a professional message and got all the knots worked out of my upper back and neck, I think it's from the postioning used in the O.R. and the bodies natural tendancy to "gaurd" your injuried body part (head). Glad to hear all went well. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

kristin

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 07:34:24 pm »
welcome home josh...ok, when's the vegas party? ;) sounds like you were a model patient!
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

jw

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 12:30:28 am »
The top 10 signs that your surgery went well:

10 - Your clothes are still in your closet when you return home
9 - Your surgeon didn't ask for the instruments using phrases like "that big shiny thing"
8 - Your surgeon didn't report that they found nothing on the right side, but then they realized they had the MRI backwards
7 - Your surgeon didn't announce that they had to go in from the front and that you won't miss the extra tissue
6 - You didn't find out you were going to be filmed for an episode of E.R.
5 - Your surgeon didn't greet you in the O.R. saying "Well, there's gotta be a first for everything...."
4 - Your surgeon's lawyer wasn't the one to give you the results on the procedure
3 - Your surgeon isn't going to be featured in a medical journal alongside your tumor
2 - They may have moved your Sarah Bellum, but they didn't REmove it!
1 - You're a HAGER, darnit!

Glad to see you back home, Josh!
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

linda l

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 11:43:33 am »
Josh
So gald to hear you are home and doing well.  My neck was crummy going in to surgery so now at almost 4 weeks it is a lttle stiff and sore, try using heat packs, it seems to help.
Linda

David707

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 03:28:18 pm »
Josh,

Good to hear you are back home.  So glad for you.

It is just exciting to see one good news after another on this forum.  You guys (and ladies) are doing great.  Thanks for sharing with us.  Let's keep the spirit up.

David(707)
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

vcschaub

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 10:05:12 am »
I have been following this forum for a month or so in anticipation of my surgery. I contacted some of you who had surgery at House as that is where I had my surgery on Nov 8th (last week). I am 6 days post op and doing very well. I had a 4mm lesion that had manifested itself first by loss of balance and fullness in my right ear. I had just had acl (knee) repair surgery for a skiing accident in last year March, so I attributed the symptoms to that. After treating my sinuses, etc, an mri was ordered and the neuroma was discovered. I consulted with the University of Florida and Johns Hopkins. They recommended waiting which I did. After a 14 months, my 3rd mri showed slight growth and diminished speech reception. I sent my information to Dr Brackmann at House and he recommended removing it while it was still small and I had good hearing. It was a tough decision but since I am in good health decided to go ahead. He and Dr Hitselberger performed the operation. The care was outstanding and the facilities are top notch. Dr Stefan, the internist followed me also and he is so kind.

I am happy to report that my facial nerve is intact, my hearing is preserved!! I have no pain although the right side is numb and feels very full but I can hear through it. I just feel as though I am underwater which is a bit disconcerting. I have been told that will slowly fade away. I am slightly unbalanced but can walk unattended, just look a little unsteady and I hold on to my husband's pinky when I need to - even went out to dinner and went down some stairs to the ladies' room.

I left the hospital after 5 days and I am staying in LA until Wednesday when I get my stitches out. I am very happy with my decision and thank everyone who thought and prayed for me for my successful outcome.

6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 12:59:12 pm »
Hi all, I am so happy to read all the great results here. What wonderful group of people. May we all continue improving each and every day.  :)
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

amoore9334

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 03:33:43 pm »
Josh - have been following your story - you were certainly in my thoughts and prayers last Monday.  Congratulations on getting this behind you.  Sounds like you are doing well!  Continued good wishes!

Pembo

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 10:49:27 am »
Hey Josh. I had a horribly stiff neck that I got rid of with my Occupational therapist and deep tissue massage. That was truly the BEST part of post surgery. Check into it....
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

DistressedDB

• Deb's site
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 04:06:48 pm »
Josh,

Glad to see your reply and that you are doing well!  I must say that I owe you a HUGE thank you for intervening in my life and REQUIRING me to view other options to surgery since I had only the ringing in my ears (neuroma was only 1.2cm)...   I successfully had radio surgery (CyberKnife) this past week, and other then feeling like I've been on a ship in very rough waters and wanting to drive the porcelain bus...I feel great!  I'm so happy to hear your surgery was successful.  I know many of us have followed your story and have been inspired by your words of encouragement.  Keep us all informed as to your progress...  I know the series "House" is looking for a story line about a teacher does research on acoustic neuromas in his spare time to help guide others, only to find that he also suffers from the same ailment and must make a difficult decision..,sounds right up your ally!   ;D  All the Best!
1.5cm X .09 cm - CyberKnife November 2005
April MRI shows small growth of 1.5 cm X 1.0 cm

okiesandy

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 10:23:46 pm »
VC,

I think you got my surgery date at HEI with Dr. B. That was when I was scheduled and canceled. Glad to give it up and glad you made good use of it.  I have opted for Cyberknife the first week in January. Just call me Chicken Women. I could not bring my self to do surgery.
I am glad you are doing well and contunued improvement.

Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)