Author Topic: Where to Start?  (Read 3091 times)

hurdle07

Where to Start?
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first time back to the forum since posting a couple of times shortly after being diagnosed in December '07.
I guess I've been depressed...in denial...who knows ::)  Hard to believe 2+ months have gone by already...I know I have to get my butt in gear.  What's making this harder is that I've known for at least six months that I will be out of job soon due to out-sourcing.  I knew it was coming, but I wasn't really concerned.  I do computer work,which I'm sick of, so I saved up some money for expenses and thought I might try self employment in another interest.  Then BAM, you have an AN!  Very bad time to be dropping a wrench in the ol gearbox.  Not a good time to be marketing myself to new employers, or to be messing with insurance :-[  Anyways, thanks for letting me play the violin. 

BTW, is there a "list" here somewhere that provides broad guidance as it relates to employment, insurance, treatment, etc?

Thanks.

AN 14mm x 10mm x 11mm, left side,
diagnosed December 2007,
Partial hearing loss center frequencies.

OTO

Re: Where to Start?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:00:24 pm »
hurdle07,
Sorry you had to join our group.   The home page to the ANA website has a link to a list of general questions to ask your doctor regarding treatment options.

Treatment ranges from radiation (some times called radio-surgery of which there are several options known by the names of the machine/radiation source - gamma knife, cyber knife, etc.), surgery (various techniques) and watch-n-wait.   For information on radiation, I suggest you look for the link to the Cyberknife Support Group.   There are several doctors who respond to inquiries.   For surgical, I would suggest you get in contact with the House Clinic (also know as House Ear Institute).   They will review your MRI films and provide you with a consultation via phone for free.   They have a website with the contact information.   They are located in Los Angeles, and are very experienced in AN surgeries.

Regarding insurance, there is a forum on the site that discusses insurance, but I'm not sure any of the threads will help.  Do a search and look for the thread by Samantha and Adrian.   Adrian had the challenge of getting surgery and trying to get back to work within 6 weeks total.    His employer told him that if he couldn't get back within 6 weeks, he would have lost his job and insurance....  They might be willing to "personal message" with you to give you some insight into dealing with the insurance companies, and employment law...

good luck

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 01:29:28 pm »
Hurdle,

I understand how you feel about the potential job loss. My situation is similar, with my line of work being outsourced. It may happen this year or it may happen next year. I know it's coming. Am I worried? Sure. My AN surgery is scheduled for May. Lots can happen with my job and medical insurance before then.

Have you heard of COBRA insurance? You might want to ask your Human Resources Dept. about this soon.
How I understand it works is that with COBRA, your insurance coverage will be uninterrupted after your employer's coverage ends. It's at a higher rate of course, because you will pay the entire premium. But compared to what AN surgery costs, it's cheap. Though individual insurance plans are out there and at a cheaper cost than COBRA, COBRA coverage is better because it's a group plan.
Please go to your HR dept. and inquire about this. There's plenty to worry about with the AN alone.

Good luck
Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

OMG16

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 02:16:35 pm »
I would also recommend Cobra as the coverage is usually good and you would not need to deal with the pre existing clauses that most insurances have now a days.  Your HR dept should be a great resource, but I would get right on it.

You did not mention in your post the size of your AN, symptoms you are having and who you have talked to about treatment so far.  If you can answer some of these questions I think you will get more replies.  Hang in there 16

I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:15:19 pm »
hurdle07:

Welcome back.  Yes, time does fly - apparently whether you're having any fun or not, it seems.

You have perfectly good reason to be a bit depressed (AN diagnosis + looming job loss) but you said it correctly when you posted that you have to get your butt in gear, that is, do something besides avoiding doing something about your AN, medical insurance and post-layoff work plan.  Unless you have a very tiny AN, you should be researching treatments, doctors and facilities.  AN's sometimes lay dormant for years but in most cases, an acoustic neuroma grows s-l-o-w-ly, and until symptoms are manifested, you don't even know you have it.  Once you receive the ominous-sounding diagnosis you don't know what the heck it is.  Then you're scared you're going to die (the words 'brain tumor' often have that effect).  Then you find out this is a problem but a manageable one, although not an easy road.  Finally, you start doing research, calling doctors and hospitals.  As has been previously stated, the size and location of your AN is crucial to how you'll proceed from here on. 

Insurance is certainly a valid issue but as others have mentioned, COBRA (which is an acronym for Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) is a good bet as it keeps your coverage intact. Although expensive, it'll costs less than medical insurance you might purchase as an individual because you're still getting a group rate, although it is no longer subsidized by your employer.  If possible, you may want to consider addressing your AN (radiation or surgery) before your present job finally ends, as you'll need time off, even with radiation, but especiallyif you opt for surgery.  So, if you have any accumulated 'sick time', why not tie it into the treatment you're going to need?  Just a suggestion, as I don't know the specifics of your work situation regarding what, if any, paid time off you may have accumulated.   

In the final analysis you must know that you'll have to begin looking into how you'll address your AN.  It isn't likely to go away on it's own and the bigger it gets the more problems it will make for you in the future.  You certainly don't need that.  Obviously, retaining your medical insurance is a must but that shouldn't be too difficult (just pricey) with the COBRA option.  As for venturing into a new line of work, that is certainly your prerogative and may just be what you need to renew your outlook on things.  As an old saying goes: If you're happy, you're successful..  Works for me.   :)

I trust you'll keep us apprised of your progress because we're here and want to help, if we can.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 02:04:52 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

hurdle07

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 06:44:02 pm »
Thanks everyone for your responses.  I've heard of COBRA...never had to use it...guess the pessimist in me is thinking "gee, it seems I'm having a lousy run of luck right now, I really don't want to have to worry about my insurance coverage."  Anyways, the tips regarding COBRA is comforting.   I have asked my employer to help me out by keeping me on in some other position, but if that doesn't work out, maybe they'll carry my insurance as part of severance.

Yes Syl, it sounds like we're in the same boat --hope your job continues into next year and things work out for you!
AN 14mm x 10mm x 11mm, left side,
diagnosed December 2007,
Partial hearing loss center frequencies.

OMG16

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 06:54:56 pm »
Hurdle we are here to help you in anyway we can.  It can all be so overwhelming and some of us have been right where you are now.  As I told my son and husband we will have time to worry about everything after all of this is done.  I have found personally that you can get stuck in the whole diagnosis of a brain tumor and you actually have a sort of peace when you decide on a course of treatment.  I think that others would agree with this also.  If your employer could keep you on in some aspect that would be such a blessing.  I will start praying for this and also for peace of mind for you also.  Let us help you through this and please do keep us informed on how you are doing.  If you feel the need to vent that is fine to.  We have been there and done that also.  Anger and denial are the first steps of acceptance.  Kisses to your forehead  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.