Author Topic: Results of second MRI later today....tick, tick, tick  (Read 4147 times)

ZigZagGal

Results of second MRI later today....tick, tick, tick
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:27:37 am »
Had my 6 month MRI yesterday, with and without of course.  It was a very "fancy" one I think, as it was incredibly loud and LONG.  As long as it shows a detailed view of the little sucker they can keep me in there for hours.  Also had my hearing tested. The audiologist said the hearing in my non- AN ear is worse than the other one.  Both ears just have a mild high frequency loss, but still, not what I wanted to hear.  She could get reflexes in the AN ear, but not the other one.  She said, "I hope they took an MRI of both sides."  That was uplifting!   Can they scan only one side???    Anxiously awaiting my afternoon appointment today with the neurotologist and am a bit nervous.  I can't imagine that I will hear anything drastically different than before.  At last look, it was extremely tiny, not even worth mentioning really (1.5mm).   If it wasn't for the balance issues I probably wouldn't know it was there.  I don't want to imagine waiting years like this.   I wouldn't be as concerned, but after 6 months of dizziness and 3 months of rehab, it isn't any better.  It is really affecting my quality of life, especially work.  I am a speech therapist who works with children with hearing impairments, so my hearing is also pretty important to my job.  I don't want to lose any more of that either.  I'm not sure what I am hoping for, except for it to disappear.  Whatever the result, it will be a relief to know what's going on in there.  I know I am incredibly lucky, that time is on my side, and I'll survive.  I'd just rather be working with my kids right now.  Thanks for reading!
Tracie

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Gandhi

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Results of second MRI later today....tick, tick, tick
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:12:35 am »
Tracie,
I hope the results are what you and your doctor were hoping for.  I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Denisex2boys

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 08:34:33 pm »
((((HUGS))))
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

ZigZagGal

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »
Thanks Brenda and Denise.  Your support helped a lot! 

Talked to the neuro.  (Dr. Link, Mayo- Rochester).  The MRI showed that essentially nothing has changed! :)  It is still quite tiny.  I am really relieved!  I didn't realize how worked up I was about it until it was over.  He went over all of the options and it is very clear that waiting and watching is the only sane option at this point, even though the balance hasn't improved as fast as we hoped.  He listened and was very supportive and validated everything I am experiencing.  He assured me that the vestibular rehab has made a difference and will continue to help.  He told me that many times these tiny AN's just don't grow, which means that once I lick this balance thing, chances are I can get back to life as usual and check in once a year or so to make sure it stays put.  As long as my hearing remains the same, I'll be good to go.  ;D   He also told me that in RARE cases some people just can't compensate because the vestibular function on the AN side fluctuates.  If that happens they can go in and destroy the balance nerve on that side to allow the brain to compensate.   

While at Mayo I also found out I that I have fairly serious sleep apnea and haven't been getting much usable sleep.  I am really hoping that getting that under control and wearing my new contacts that give me peripheral vision will turn things around.  Guess I'll have to cultivate some patience and polish up my persistence! 

I know most people on this forum have to contend with far more serious circumstances than mine.  It has helped me to put things in perspective and witness real strength and courage.  I'm sharing my experience just in case there is someone else out there with a tiny but troublesome AN, who is frustrated and feels "in limbo" as I have.   You are not alone! 
Tracie

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Gandhi

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:42:33 pm »
Tracie~
Glad your news was good!!  Hope that everything just continues to get better and better for you!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

thornapple

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 11:01:39 am »
 ;D

Hey, Tracie! Such good news. Really!

I have a "tiny", too. I went thru vestibular rehab and discovered that the more physical activity that challenges my balance that I do, the better my balance is.  I added a lot of walking to my days and discovered that the more I walk, the better my balance is. So I think the key is to keep moving. (Yeah, and here I am sitting in front of a computer! LOL)

My hearing is going on the AN side and I have oboxious tinnitus on that side also, so I got hearing aids (the open fitting kind that hang behind your ear). The hearing aids are quite helpful. And cute, if you can believe it.

Think how cool your kid patients will think it is when they find out you also have trouble with your hearing! I know how frustrating it is to not understand what people are saying, and I also know how grateful I am when I am tallking to someone with a similar problem, because we understand each other's impairment.

I know I can get really bummed out about my situation when I start brooding about it, but really, we are otherwise in pretty good shape with our little inconveniences. I think of people I know who had to have surgery on theirs...and I am glad I don't!  I think of people with bum hips or knees and have trouble getting around---all I have is a bum ear! People are now used to me cheerfully saying, "Doe-SEE--Doe!" and getting on their other side so I can actually hear what they said. It is a constant process of adjustment and learning to live with what you have, instead of thinking of it as trying to live with what you no longer have.

I hope your sleep apnea thing can get under control. That is WAY more dangerous than that tiny lilttle &*$#@! on your hearing nerve.  Get healthy!