Author Topic: Handi Vans?  (Read 4597 times)

Don

Handi Vans?
« on: March 03, 2008, 02:59:29 pm »
 Well since I have no idea what goes on in your state I will share this, in my trails I quit driving in busy places such as Honolulu so when I was flying there I have a handicapped ID which allows me to use the "HANDI VAN" for those of you that have never used one they are NOT for the faint of heart trust me on this, the worst was when my spine collapsed and just the slightest movement caused me to scream in pain? And the driver was very erratic and caused me to scream a lot much to the amusement of my fellow travelers if I was running the show I would have a Mental bus and a "Physically Challenged" bus as its not PC to be handicapped anymore? I dont think most people realize this and to date the only place I know of on my island that is fully ADA compliant is our new jail? If I wasnt married I would get locked up!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Handi Vans?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:37:51 pm »
Don,
I know what you mean.  I'll make sure I have my disabled ID when I travel to Honolulu again.  I almopst got thrown out of our Department of Public Services.  I took my form in to get my disabled plates and placard.  The lady next to me got a red one.  I was issued blue.  Since I did not know what the difference in colors was I asked the lady if one was for physically disabled and the other mentally disabled. She started laughing and told the lady next to her who told the next person.  You get what is happening here?  I finally asked which mine was, for mentally or physically and if I forgot to hand my blue tag, how would anyone looking at the license plates know?  I thought maybe the numbers or letters were different.  The whole place was laughing hysterically, so I didn't get my answer.  I fixed my daughters though.  We all went shopping (something I hate, they love) we parked in a handicap spot and I noticed that the car next to us had a red tag.  I said very seriously, that red tag means they are mentally handicapped.  They thought I was serious.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 04:45:40 pm »
As I was appointed by our town to the Commission for Disability Issues, I can also understand what we endure with politically correct terms.  I have also been corrected during our CDI meetings and it's very difficult to keep track of what is what.

As I don't like to be labeled with my many disabilties (my AN is not my primary disability but for those that know... or have met me, you know for what I speak), we know that labeling us... either for SSD (hearing impared).... vision issues from AN treatments (visual impared), etc.......it can be rather difficult to keep track.

I just like my label that I give to myself..... that I am the best dang person I can be... not always right, but I try my best.  I'll take that label over anything else anyone wants to deem me..... for me, they obviously don't know me well enough (nor take the time) to find out what a true person I can be. 

For all of my fellow AN'ers.... my label for you.... "family".  Me likes that... since you all have been there for me from the git-go... just as I have tried to be there for you to the best of my abilities.

Nuff said.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

OMG16

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 05:59:07 pm »
OMG I was rolling on the floor laughing so hard I scared the dog!  I was having such a bad day.........you know the kind the work deposit won't balance and you need to get to the bank.  I can't seem to find out who and where the driving simulator is.  I turn on the TV to let my mind rest and then go back and finish the deposit.  Who pops up on the screen the surgeon my son had.  You know I could go the rest of my life without seeing him and in my own living room.  That is just wrong!  I guess he needs to drum up business.  If people only knew.  I was depressed and very angry that I could not call the news and let them know.  It just kills me to have to sit and be quiet.  That is truely the hardest part.  I can get past everything other than this.  :'(

So Brenda you made my day!  Thank you so much.  The red is for disabilities lasting less than 6months-1year.  The sad blue color is for permanant disabilities.  We have blue also.  I believe if we go with your theory than I need red for sure.  ;D

Phyl we love you no matter what.  Oh no I feel something coming......could it be.........yes it is.....kisses to your forehead.  That was my attempt to be funny and now as I read it, well it just sounds stupid in black and white.  So you will need to use the voice in my head to get the effect I was trying for.  Here comes that red disability sign getting closer by the minute.  ;) 16

I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:35:25 pm »
Phyl we love you no matter what.  Oh no I feel something coming......could it be.........yes it is.....kisses to your forehead.  That was my attempt to be funny and now as I read it, well it just sounds stupid in black and white.  So you will need to use the voice in my head to get the effect I was trying for.  Here comes that red disability sign getting closer by the minute.  ;) 16

Just came back from the CDI monthly meeting and I noted this to the chairperson of the commission... we both shrug as we can't keep up with all the PC (we got the core of it, tho').  Sending my huggles right back... you know it! :)

Thanks so much for the kind words... your check is in the mail :D
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

OMG16

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:24:56 pm »
Theres a check in the mail, woo who! ;D   Yeah I know how the PC thing goes as I may have offended Jewel and I feel badly, but who knew.  Well at least I didn't.  I haven't gotten out of the house much in the last 3 years so I am behind in the PC department.  My intentions are good and I hope everyone will see the meaning in my words when I write.  I'm grateful for those that let me know when I have messed up.  That is the only way we learn.

You will have to let us all know about the great work you are trying to do.  I bet it is tough working through all the red tape.

I am a better person for knowing all of you.  Thank you for letting me be a member of your forum.  I have yet an even larger Family! 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:57:56 pm by OMG16 »
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 06:22:22 am »
OMG16,
Thank you for clearing that up for me.  They never did at DPS.  I guess I need to inform my daughters of what the colors really mean.....darn.
I'm glad that it made your day a little brighter!
Hugs,
Brenda
Phyl, When did all of this PC transpire?  Sometimes I think people need to just say it the way it is and get on with it.  I like your term, family, best of all!  It suits me better than all the rest!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

OMG16

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:23:32 am »
Brenda don't tell your daughter let keep it our secret as I can not wait for some more stories.  I can not wait for part 3 of this adventure.

It sounds like you had a pretty bad day yesterday and I am truely sorry for you.  Crying tears for Miss Martha Jane and Brenda.  :'( 16