Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407680 times)

cindyj

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1875 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16:16 pm »
Hey, Capt!  Good to "see" you!  Yes, I'm very jealous - grew up in Jax, FL and LOVE the beach, but now live 6 hours from any ocean :(

I enjoyed the first book in the Hunger Games, but didn't think the other two were as good...have not seen the movie yet.  Have heard that the director did a pretty good job, though...

Yes, I agree about the quest for power and strong women theme, guess I was thinking more that it wasn't as meaningful as perhaps a nonfiction read...I love it no matter what ;D  Love all the characters - know it will be awhile before the next book is out, so I'm pacing myself and reading other things in between the 5 which are already out (will start book 3 soon).  I love that George Martin is telling the story from the perspective of so many different characters...We will have to talk more after the next one comes out!

I am also awaiting the next book in the new Justin Cronin series - The Twelve.  The Passage was very good - not sure if I mentioned it here or not last year...it's a series with vampires, but not anything like the Twilight vampires - these are vampires of quite a different breed ;)  Yet, I would not call it a "vampire" story - it is much broader than that...

Lynn, I read the first Girl w/ tattoo, but never did read the others...keep forgetting to get back to them...will have to do so...

Still have most of the Harlan Coben books to read!  So many books, so little time :o

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1876 on: April 11, 2012, 08:48:18 am »
Hi All,
I read all of the George R.R. Martin books and LOVED the first 4. He does an amazing job with his characters. Number 5 was bloated and didn't seem to go anywhere, although I know the purpose was to bring everyone up to speed on all the main characters. I was beginning to think he had forgotten all about Arya!  Still, I got really tired of reading about what people were wearing or eating and was anxious for the story to move forward. Maybe his next book will take care of that complaint.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

« Reply #1877 on: April 13, 2012, 09:13:12 am »
Hey Capt~

DAMN SKIPPY!!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1878 on: April 22, 2012, 03:16:10 pm »
I am addicted to Angry Birds and Cut The Rope that the kids put on my Nook...

Reading Front Porch Prophet right now ... it was recommended and is OK ... but subject matter is touchy for me right now ... one character is dying of cancer but he is writing letters to everyone he knows , making piece with some and stirring up stuff with others ... kinda too close to home and makes me wonder what the person who recommended it was thinking when they said I should read it ... I guess when I am done with it I will know

trying to get Sarah through her last 10 AR points she needs to pass reading ...she has 75 points over what she needs for whole year  ... but she has to have 20 for this grading period ...as of right now she has 4 ... TCAP testing all this week , then end of year field trips for BETA Club and STU- CO , scholastic bowl matches and then county tournament , a prom etc etc etc ...gonna be like pulling teeth to get it done...

have been co-reading with her ... I read a chapter , she reads a chapter ...back and forth we go ... this is allowed ... wish it wasn't and she might just read on her own ... didn't read with her last 6 weeks until the night before points had to be in and she was 5 points short ... she had a 98 average in class... couldn't stand seeing a zero added to that making her A and F ...AR counts as half their reading grade ... so we were  up til midnight reading then back up at 5 to finish the book so she could take a test when she got to school... Hannah loves to  reads ... Sarah hates it ... drives me nuts
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1879 on: April 22, 2012, 03:17:21 pm »
Just started Devil in the White City, which was recommended by someone on the Forum.

Only into the first pages, but am liking it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #1880 on: April 23, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »
"Devil in the White City" is an interesting read. I could hardly put it down. Enjoy!
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Kaybo

« Reply #1881 on: April 23, 2012, 05:33:24 pm »
I got it at the library today...we'll see...y'all know I am the FICTION ONLY reader!!

K

Mary~
SO GREAT TO SEE YOU!!  hope you are doing well!  :-*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #1882 on: April 23, 2012, 08:09:23 pm »
HEY KAY!!!!!!

It reads a lot like a fiction book, I think. Enjoy, I hope.

Hugs,

Mary  8)
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1883 on: April 25, 2012, 12:24:23 pm »
I'm liking the book, but finding it's slow going in places (at least for me) because of the non-fiction parts.

Lots of history, which I sometimes find fascinating and sometimes find boring  ::)

My solution has been to skim the parts I'm not especially interested in and it's working well; still gives me the story but leaves out some of the boredom that I typically find in non-fiction.

Anyone interested in Chicago architecture will like the book; the author talks a lot about Daniel Burnham.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #1884 on: April 25, 2012, 01:01:12 pm »
I understand that, Jan, now that I think about it. I love architecture and also have a fascination with the 1893 world's fair. My grandma went there when she was ten and I have her souvenir curio box notebook - so I am also emotionally attached. I still don't know how they did such magic with the fair at that time. Then I thought the undercurrent and juxtaposition of the psychopathic physician so amazing. Now I want to re-read it. LOL!

Mary  8)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1885 on: April 25, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »
You're a step ahead of me, Mary.

Although I've lived in Illinois (Chicago suburbs) all my life I never even realized there was a World's Fair here in 1893.  I'm not much of a history buff.

The last World's Fair I recall was in the mid-60's in New York.  I only remember it because my grandparents lived in New Jersey at the time and my older sisters and brother got to go with my parents and grandfather while my younger brother and I had to stay behind with our grandmother.  Although I was only about 3 at the time, I've always felt I missed out on the fun.

I'm enjoying the parts of the book that talk about the buildings in Chicago and the numerous landmarks that still exist.  It's interesting to see where some of these places got their names - like Burnham Harbor.

Jan

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #1886 on: April 26, 2012, 08:30:32 am »
You're a step ahead of me, Mary.

Although I've lived in Illinois (Chicago suburbs) all my life I never even realized there was a World's Fair here in 1893.  I'm not much of a history buff.

The last World's Fair I recall was in the mid-60's in New York.  I only remember it because my grandparents lived in New Jersey at the time and my older sisters and brother got to go with my parents and grandfather while my younger brother and I had to stay behind with our grandmother.  Although I was only about 3 at the time, I've always felt I missed out on the fun.

I'm enjoying the parts of the book that talk about the buildings in Chicago and the numerous landmarks that still exist.  It's interesting to see where some of these places got their names - like Burnham Harbor.

Jan

Wow dating myself I was at the NY World's Fair and I believe with my class (elementary school) sort of remember it at least I do have a few photos seems so long ago wait it was !...
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1887 on: April 26, 2012, 10:30:37 am »
I really liked this book, although it was a slow read because of all the history involved. I suggest that anyone who reads it follow it up with the architectural boat tour in Chicago. You will be amazed at how many names you will recognize from the book!
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1888 on: April 26, 2012, 11:16:12 am »
OK.  I guess I'm going to have to put this on my "must read" list.  ;)  We went on the architectural boat tour of Chicago when we were there for the ANA Symposium in 2009.  Wonderful tour and very interesting ..... plus it was a beautiful, sunny day when we went so I took many pictures.  Have to drag them out when I read the book!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #1889 on: April 26, 2012, 12:02:38 pm »
Hey PJB -

I went to the NY Worlds fair in HIGH SCHOOL - I really feel old admitting that. I really enjoyed it......sigh!

Mary  8)