Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407640 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1860 on: March 04, 2012, 05:20:19 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have an old favorite of mine that I would like to recommend. It is called "The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale. It is very inpirational.

Has anyone heard of it before? It is a must read!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #1861 on: March 05, 2012, 02:01:58 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have an old favorite of mine that I would like to recommend. It is called "The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale. It is very inspirational.

Has anyone heard of it before? It is a must read!

'The Power of Positive Thinking' was a sensation when it was first published, way back in 1952.  I've certainly heard of it and may have skimmed through it at the bookstore a long time ago.  The author, Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, was an ordained Methodist minister who switched his ministry to the Calvinist Reformed Church of America (in 1932).  Dr. Peale was the pastor at Marble Collegiate Church (on Fifth Avenue) in Manhattan for over 50 years. He was praised by folks such as Billy Graham when he died in 1993 at age 95.

His famous book (available for under $10. most places, including Amazon) is not 'religious' but offers 'techniques' to instill and maintain a positive outlook in every situation.  Peale's theories were controversial and many mental health professionals scorned him as a fraud.  However, the book has sold over 7 million copies and many people have been helped by Peale's aphorisms, e.g. "Never talk defeat. Use words like hope, belief, faith, victory".  Over time, the praises for his advice from those who found it encouraging has outweighed the criticisms.

I cannot credibly critique the book because I haven't read it but I have definitely seen  - from personal experience - that a positive outlook in times of stress does help.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MDemisay

« Reply #1862 on: March 06, 2012, 07:40:17 am »
Thank you, Jim!  :)
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

cindyj

« Reply #1863 on: March 16, 2012, 08:54:25 am »
Haven't posted here in awhile, but I've definitely still been reading!  Based on a couple of recommendations from friends, I started the Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)  series by George RR Martin - not my usual genre, but it is SO good!  Some of you may have seen the HBO series (I have not).  Not for you folks who like to mainly read nonfiction, probably, and it definitely has some very adult and controversial themes and has no social message or lesson, but I do like it ;D  A guilty pleasure...

Enjoy your books - whatever they may be,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1864 on: March 16, 2012, 11:18:42 am »
Sounds interesting, Cindy.  Have to check on it.

I am really bad about starting several books at the same time ..... too much rereading to figure them out sometimes.

Right now I am still working on "The Girl Who Played With Fire," "The Scalpel and the Soul," (almost finished with it) and "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks." (just started it)

Maybe I'd better finish a couple of them before starting the "Game of Thrones" .....  ya think.   :o

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: ANA Book Club?,oi
« Reply #1865 on: March 16, 2012, 01:46:01 pm »
Finished all of James Herriot and now reading the biograghy his son wrote. I never read it because itwould be admitting a childhood hero was dead and gone. But with my dad in the shape he is in I thought now was as good a time as any to lay James Herriot aka. Alf Wight to rest in my mind. Probably doesn't make much sense. These days I don't always make sense

We had book fairlast week at school. Earned enough book bucks to by abot 20 books. Got a cup cake decorating/ cookbook and the girls used up the rest in books they plan to read. With the new AR system in place just about every book at the book fair has a test. The tests used to have to be purchased for each book butnow are built into the system and are available online. 

The readingteacher loaned me Island Of Lost Girls on the Nook. Figure on reading it as I read James Herriot bio.
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1866 on: March 16, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »
James Herriot is great. I have been a fan since junior high school. His language is so simple, yet you can see, smell, taste and feel everything he describes as if you were there yourself. And the characters are so great: Siegfried, Tristan, Mrs. Pumphrey and Tricki Woo . . . the BBC series is wonderfully done as well.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

MDemisay

« Reply #1867 on: March 21, 2012, 06:35:53 am »
Hi everybody,

I have just downloaded "The Better Brain Book" by Daniel Perlmutter MD in it he describes the use of herbals and advises against the use of cell phones!

It will prove to be a good read, for everybody I hope. The author is a neurologist there are some interesting things about environmental toxins, the book has a whole chapter devoted to it.

Mike

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1868 on: March 25, 2012, 02:55:18 pm »
I remember reading the James Herriot books and laughing out loud! My husband always knew when I was reading one of the series because I was so entertained. Timeless books! We watched the series on the PBS station and loved it, too.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1869 on: March 31, 2012, 09:10:20 pm »
Am currently reading Miracle Cure by Harlan Coben.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lynn Mc

« Reply #1870 on: April 05, 2012, 06:23:43 am »
I do not come on here very much but I just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series.  I don't think I ever enjoyed a series more than this one.  What a let down to finish it.....  Just started "Live Wire" by Harlan Coben and it seems OK.  Any other good reads out there...
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

MDemisay

« Reply #1871 on: April 07, 2012, 06:59:27 pm »
Hi Everybody,

A really quick and interesting and distracting read for me was the Kindle single "Lifeboat #8" about the Titanic Lifeboat and the survivors and the gallant lives that were lost onboard that fateful cruiseliner 100 years ago mostly fiction but with some pieces of fact laced in such as the selection process for passengers at that time.

Seemed an appropriate read 100 years later!

IMHO

Mike

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #1872 on: April 09, 2012, 08:07:53 am »
I just bought that for my kindle--99 cents--how bad could it be?

I got a Kindle for Christmas and have become a reader again and hardly ever watch TV anymore, especially since we haven't gotten around to turning on our cable here at the beach (yeah, hub and I bought a place on the NC coast--waterfront lot on Core Sound with a deserted bird sanctuary island just 2 miles east and a lil Carolina Skiff to take us out there--I know, I know yer all jealous but we have a spare room, y'all.) Which is fine because TV volume is a source of argument at the house with all the cable--"it's too loud!" he says.  "Well I can't hear the dialog at all so I'm going to the bedroom to read."  AAARRRRRRR!!!!!

I read the Hunger Games trilogy before I knew about the movie, another series by the same author, and now I'm reading the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich, which are hilarious, but not as hilarious as the Sweet Potato Queens books by Jill Conner Browne.  I sit on the beach and laugh out loud.  For some reason I am drawn to humor--Carl Hiaason is another favorite.  I enjoy books with recurring characters--the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris are more of my favorites.  I'm also waiting with baited breath for the next installment of A Song of Ice and Fire to be written.

That's what I've been up to--think I'll read back on this thread a lil to see what's up.

Hope y'all had a good Easter and didn't eat too many peeps.

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:09:58 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #1873 on: April 09, 2012, 08:30:44 am »
Haven't posted here in awhile, but I've definitely still been reading!  Based on a couple of recommendations from friends, I started the Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)  series by George RR Martin - not my usual genre, but it is SO good!  Some of you may have seen the HBO series (I have not).  Not for you folks who like to mainly read nonfiction, probably, and it definitely has some very adult and controversial themes and has no social message or lesson, but I do like it ;D  A guilty pleasure...

Enjoy your books - whatever they may be,

cindy

Cindy, I've read all the Song books and am waiting with baited breath for the next one, but I have to disagree about them having social relevance.  The "quest for power" is a very relevant theme these days as is the battle for female equality in the political world.  Love the Danerys character! (sorry, I was a lit major my first go round in college!) Now maybe you won't feel so guilty reading them-hahahaha!
Besides, there's pirates in 'em!!!

Capt Deb

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #1874 on: April 09, 2012, 08:42:16 am »
Hi everybody,

I have just downloaded "The Better Brain Book" by Daniel Perlmutter MD in it he describes the use of herbals and advises against the use of cell phones!

It will prove to be a good read, for everybody I hope. The author is a neurologist there are some interesting things about environmental toxins, the book has a whole chapter devoted to it.

Mike

Definitely gettin that one--I usually buy all my "medical self-help" books in realbookland (as opposed to the magic of Kindle) so I can reference them better.  I have a small library now, between menopause, migraines, Lipitor damage, back issues and fibromyalgia (jeesh!) I have several good headache books if anyone wants ta know!

Sounds like I'm held together with bailing wire and duct tape!!!

Chillin' at da beach,

Capt Deb