Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407597 times)

cindyj

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1845 on: January 11, 2012, 09:18:37 am »
Cindy~
Hey, I'm not Jan but is it Harlan Coben?  I just read the latest one of his Myron Bolitar books and loved it...I have read most of his other stuff too...

K   ;D

Yes!  That's him!  I have the hardest time remembering that name - I will write it down now and then try to remember where the piece of paper is that I write it on the next time I need his name :D  I read a couple of his books and they were very good. 

Thanks!

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1846 on: January 16, 2012, 07:52:35 pm »
It is Harlan Coben; I just orded his book Miracle Cure but haven't read it yet.

I also ordered Steven Tyler's autobiology - I love him and it's in paperback now.

Am currently reading "Get Out of My Life, but first could you drive me and Cheryl to the mall?" by Anthony E. Wolf, Ph.D. billed to be "a parent's guide to the new teenager".  Have just started it, but it's VERY enlightening.

He's got another book titled "It's not fair, Jeremy Spencer's parents let him stay up all night" A guide to the Tougher Parts of Parenting (in other words, the majority of the time) LOL

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

New girl

« Reply #1847 on: January 17, 2012, 03:55:24 pm »
Hi Jan - Let me know if you like Steven Tyler's book.  I am also a fan and have been thinking of buying it.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1848 on: January 18, 2012, 03:41:44 pm »
I need parent guides to my teens ...well technically Sarah won't be a teen until July 

my boys who are 30 , 31 year old twins and 33 were a breeze when they hit their teens  ... Hannah is 14 and has already about drove me nuts ... to be fair to her she is great 3 weeks out of 4 ... it is that 4th week that gets me ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1849 on: January 24, 2012, 03:49:15 pm »
Soundy -

I'm finding "Get out of my Life" to have some very good suggestions.  My twins - who will be 16 on 2/29 (YIKES!!!) - are in full "teen-hood" with the attitudes to match.  Not sure if being a single parent is making it more challenging or not, but at times I just want to SCREAM!!!  :o

New Girl -

have started reading the Steven Tyler book.  It's very interesting.  He's all over the place with his thoughts, but that seems to be par for the course in his case.  If you saw his interview with Oprah recently, you know what I mean.  Got to love him, though!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #1850 on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:37 pm »
I do scream. We live in the sticks and I have been known to run ( well technically walk) out the door and just scream. It relieves stress and makes the girls be real good for a day or two  ;D  . They are affraid my head might start spinninb if they don't.
Translab July 2 ,2007

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #1851 on: February 05, 2012, 11:09:26 pm »
Hi everybody! Count me in! I would like to recommend a book it's called "Shatner Rules By William Shatner. I know it has nothing to do with our collective AN journey but it's a laugh a minute and it's a quick read. It got me out of my Blue Funk of thinking about treatment options for this ........ Growth! It's available on the Amazon Kindle. As is Medifocus Guidebook on Acoustic Neuroma by Elliot Jacob Phd.

Cheers it's a great idea to start a book club!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1852 on: February 06, 2012, 06:25:29 am »
Haha - William Shatner has sure been growing over the years.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

MDemisay

« Reply #1853 on: February 06, 2012, 07:53:10 am »
Haha! Yes he has Sarah and he won't go away! He is there ever present just as our tumors are! His presence seems to loom large for those of us who pay attention but being that he is 80 he may not be there for much longer.

Consider that he has been acting since he was very young (1937) he is an accomplished author who has written many books, and has appeared on many shows and in films. Yet we best know him for a failed 3 year show he did in the late 60's in which he starred as Captain Kirk. Worth a look in the Amazon Kindle library hit preview and you won't have to pay for it.

I gaurantee a free laugh! His outlook is refreshing, brash and in-your-face. A pleasant distraction!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

cindyj

« Reply #1854 on: February 06, 2012, 09:53:03 am »
I know it has nothing to do with our collective AN journey...
Mike

Most of the books in here (the book club) have nothing whatsoever to do with AN's or anything medical!  So, your recommendation is perfect!  Glad you've joined us!  By the way, I loved Star Trek ;D  It is very interesting that that's what he's most well known for despite all the other work he's done...(he does have something in common with most of us here, though, as he suffers from tinnitus)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

MDemisay

« Reply #1855 on: February 06, 2012, 11:32:59 am »
Very True, Cindy!

He does suffer from that as well as an overdeveloped sense of ego! His inspiration to all of us is that, in spite of it all, he has considerable talent in making himself ever relevant across decades of his work.

Quite an interesting feat in and of itself!

I have not finished his book yet on my Kindle. When I do, however, I will go out and buy it and add it to my collection of books that I have in my library! I have taken to not purchasing books but, instead have purchased them by Kindle saving myself storage space on my shelves.

Mike

Mike

Soundy

« Reply #1856 on: February 09, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »
I am currently re-reading James Herriot ... he is an old friend ...first read All Creatures Great and Small in 3rd grade and have read it many times since ... he calms me ...

also borrowed I Will Carry You by Angie Smith on my Nook ... it was recommended reading in the womans Bible Study group ... it is about a family who know their child will be born and die shortly after birth ... haven't got that far into it ... not sure I will finish it ... Sub titled The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy  ...although vastly different that sub-title echos how I am feeling knowing that my dad will not be here much longer ...

may check into Shatner ... I need some comic relief ... I think of Star Trek and think of Tribbles  :D ... would have loved one as a pet
Translab July 2 ,2007

MDemisay

« Reply #1857 on: February 15, 2012, 04:45:48 pm »
 :o imagine an AN the size of a Tribble that is frightening! Shatner Rules rocks! He discusses how William Shatner the personality feels as if he is detached- I am still reading it, currently, I have it by my bedside I find that the more I read it the less I think of "Irv" and that's a good thing!

Mike

MDemisay

« Reply #1858 on: February 16, 2012, 11:50:54 pm »
Just saw the NY1 review they did William Shatner on Broadway. He still looks youthful for 80! He has a broad range of characters from TJ Hooker, Captain Kirk to Denny Crane. His career in show biz spans greater than 50 years. He still has time to run a ranch in California and one in Kentucky where he breeds and rides horses for the past 20 years.

What a career! He does fundraisers for handicapped kids as well! Talk about a life well lived! Takes me far away from my current concerns!

If you happen to be in NYC stop by broadway, you'll have a ball!

Mike

MDemisay

« Reply #1859 on: February 19, 2012, 01:51:21 am »
Hi all! By now you know that I am a Trekkie among other things! I want to announce that I have just finished the Kindle version of the book by William Shatner "Shatner Rules" and although you may have had your fill of him, pick up this book! You'll be amazed at how far it takes you off the dreaded AN topic, it did me! It's really an easy fast read perfect for the ANA book club. I give it 4 stars!

Mike