Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407690 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1695 on: March 22, 2011, 12:39:33 pm »
I'm reading a wonderful book that I can't put down.  The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer.  It's a novel that follows a family through Europe and to the US pre WWII and during and after.  Fascinating.  I love books that are novels based on true historical facts.  Heart warming, heart wrenching, and well written. 
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1696 on: March 22, 2011, 06:22:00 pm »
Dale -

did you ever read the book we refer to in this thread as the "Potato book"?  Something to do with Guernsey and Potato Pie Society - or something like that.

It's fiction, but has lots of history incorporated into the story.  I didn't think I'd like it, but I loved it.

If you haven't read it you should.  I think you'd like it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1697 on: March 22, 2011, 06:55:00 pm »
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows ..... absolutely wonderful book, like none other I have ever read.  You will enjoy it.  You can get it for Kindle, as well as in paperback.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1698 on: March 22, 2011, 10:12:14 pm »
Thanks Clarice for the official title of the book - glad you knew what I was talking about.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #1699 on: March 22, 2011, 10:43:45 pm »
I'm going to download than into my Nook right now!  Thanks Jan and Clarice!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

cindyj

« Reply #1700 on: March 23, 2011, 11:08:57 am »
The "Potato" book was a good one!  It's one I never would have picked up on my own due to the name of it.  But, thanks to the ANA Book club, I did read it.  Think that was one of the last ones we read and discussed as a group here?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #1701 on: March 23, 2011, 09:12:32 pm »
i loved the potato book too! dale, i may try the one you just read. i love historical books, especially based around WWII.

cindy, i think there were discussions on a group of books after the potato one; i never bought those and kind of checked out of this discussion for a time. but i'd like to do something again; this summer may be better.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1702 on: March 24, 2011, 06:39:36 am »
I LOVED the potato book too!!  Dale, I am going to try the one you said also!  I am ready to do a book on here - it always "stretches" my reading selection!

K    ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #1703 on: March 24, 2011, 09:06:19 am »
kay, remind me to read the book dale read! i'm sure i'll forget where i saw it, and what the name is....
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1704 on: March 31, 2011, 05:46:15 pm »
Just got Invisible Bridge!!  I have to finish The Dressmaker first, but we are just hanging out at the beach and reading all weekend so I will probably start it soon!   :)

Jan~
Have you read the new HC books?  Looks like he has 2 now that I haven't read!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1705 on: April 01, 2011, 06:41:13 am »
Kay -

just finished Back Spin by HC and am currently reading Caught.

I just got an email today from Amazon about his latest book - the title escapes me.

Tell me more about The Dressmaker. 

Jan

lori67

« Reply #1706 on: April 01, 2011, 12:09:26 pm »
I haven't kept up on here since I can't read on anyone else's schedule, but I do like to read about your suggestions!

I just finished "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" - very good.  Also recently finished "Still Alice" - about a woman with early onset Alzheimer's, "Saving Fish from Drowning", "The Art of Racing in the Rain" (LOVED that one!), "Letters to God" and I'm working on 2 Jodi Piccoult books now - "Salem Falls" and "Songs of the Humpback Whale"  Both good so far.  I keep one in the car to read while waiting on the pick-up line at school and one in the house.

I think I'm going to have to read the Potato book, since it's getting rave reviews here.  I also liked "Water for Elephants", but I have a feeling the movie won't be as good as the book.

I've been reading a whole lotta kids books lately - my second grader has to read a book every night and take a test on it at school  Good program and it has done wonders for her comprehension, but I'm getting a little tired of reading books about talking animals and elementary school super-sleuths.   ::)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1707 on: April 01, 2011, 03:20:04 pm »
. . . I have a feeling the movie won't be as good as the book.

Yeah, that's usually the case, unfortunately.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1708 on: April 02, 2011, 10:54:42 am »
I have the same thoughts about the Water for Elephants movie.  Loved the book; think I'll skip the movie although I really like Reese Witherspoon.

Art of Racing in the Rain was very good.

Will have to check out Ugly Stepsister and Savings Fish from Drowning.  Not sure I can take a "heavy" topic like that addressed in Still Alice.

Lori, I still have the Potato book.  If you want me to, I can mail you mine.  Just let me know.

Jan

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1709 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03:03 pm »
I have read a bunch of books for school ... books for 7th and 8th grade ready for some adult type reading ...

was giving a book Blindness by Jose Saramago to read for 8th and 9th grade ... a sudden outbreak of unexplained blindness in an unnamed city ... a hundred pages in and so far there are alot of people that have come in contact with each other ... from first man who was at stop light and went blind , to the man who took him home and then stole his car , to the policeman who found the thief and took him home ... the government rounds all the blind people up and put them in an abandon mental hospital and it doesn't take long for people to either decide to help those around them or to go into attack mode ... breakdown of society on a small scale ...not sure where it is going ...I guess I will have to finish reading to find out

don't really like the style ...kind of narrative but no real conversations ... everyone is talking over each other ...alot of commas and no quotation marks .... no character names ...just people .. ( the doctor , the doctors wife , the girl with dark glasses , the boy with squinted eyes )  ... I was told today that it was made into a movie but I don't remember seeing it advertised ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery