Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407694 times)

Kaybo

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #735 on: November 06, 2008, 09:23:18 am »
Tailspin was a really good book - but it is the latest in the FBI Series by Catherine Coulter.  I really encourage others to read books in order (even though these can still be enjoyed out of order) - I was just saying what I was reading at the time - we don't have to read it!!  ;)  Mary, why don't you pick a book - have you picked one yet??  Is that OK with everybody??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #736 on: November 06, 2008, 09:29:48 am »
Hey, just curious as to whether any of you use www.paperbackswap.com to trade books?  I just started using it and LOVE it.  I've already posted about 40 books and have several on their way to me.  Since there isn't a used paperback store near me, this is a great alternative.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #737 on: November 06, 2008, 10:13:59 pm »
Hi,

I'd be happy to, Kay. How about #6. Playing for Pizza, by John Grisham (Debbi/Yardtick recommended)? I just looked at the list and the name is interesting and the author well known. I know nothing else about it. I am feeling adventuresome.  ;D

Take care,

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #738 on: November 06, 2008, 10:16:38 pm »
Debbi -

thanks for the tip.  I've never heard of paperback swap.

I generally purchase books new and then pass them on to several friends and family members.  When my books are eventually returned to me, I either donate them to the library or sell them to a secondhand bookstore.  If I sell them I don't get much, but it is a little something I can add to the family vacation fund, and believe it or not, it does add up to a decent sum.

The friends and family members that I pass books along to also pass their books on to me once they've read them, but I don't know what they do with them after I return them so I'll pass this link on to them.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #739 on: November 07, 2008, 06:57:55 am »
Next book:

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham and Mary will be the Queen!  Of course, we are not thru discussing this one, but that one is now picked so we can all start getting a copy!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #740 on: November 08, 2008, 10:19:46 am »
Great book!  Fair warning, though - it will have you scouring the market for a beautiful wedge of parmigniano and a hunk of prosciutto ...

Buon appetito!
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #741 on: November 09, 2008, 08:01:17 am »
OK...now that we have decided on the next book, I still think that there is a LOT to discuss about Just One Look - I don't have time to write a lot now but does anyone have any thoughts on what Soundy asked??  I'll get back to this after church!!   ;)

K

12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #742 on: November 09, 2008, 10:30:21 am »
As Soundy said, I'd definitely feel a huge betrayal.

But would it really have a made a difference in my day to day life, IMO probably not since I didn't know the difference.

Hope you prayed for me today, Kaybo  ;)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JulieE

« Reply #743 on: November 09, 2008, 10:11:38 pm »
Kay is trying diligently to get us back on subject B4 moving on with "Pizza" in hand, so I will share my thoughts on One Look:  Regarding Kay's question about the violence - I think if someone wanted to hurt someone, there are a million ways, so copycatting isn't too much a concern.  I'm hopeful there are few Wu personalities in the world, but I think there are more Ms. Kovals, which is bad enough.  Greed is a strange motivator.  I got to the first violent episode and considered (as a consenting adult) not to go any farther - not enjoying confrontation like I used to; and feeling the fear of violence can be perverse - but the author already had me hooked: my favorite character was Cora ( I can see the color of her house, as well as the picture).  I am wondering about the heroine aspect of his writing:  Does he have this theme in all his books?  Is he writing to certain women? All the heroines in this book had flaws, and in the end even The "Angel" was complicit.  Granted, we may be flawed and complicit, but having been witness to the vastly good nature of people since diagnosis, I kinda wanna stick with feel goody stuff.  ***** Cat, I know, but one word of advice:  Don't buy into shooting does not require practice:  If you must have a gun, get the training class with it!  Oh - and especially for those trying to protect remaining hearing - wear ear protection...
LOL,
Jules

Kaybo

« Reply #744 on: November 10, 2008, 07:18:18 am »
I was thinking about finding out that you've been living with someone who isn't EXACTLY who you thought that it was.  YES, I would feel betrayed, but I have to agree with Jan that after much thought & DISCUSSION, I would hope that I would come to realize that aside from the whole "major lie" thing that my day to day life wouldn't change much.  It was that "person" (not the name) and the lifestyle you have built with them that mattered.  I think that what would upset me the most is that my children have been denied a Grandmother.  My mom (& father when he was alive) & in-laws play such a HUGE role in the shaping of our kids lives (& I realize that many do not have this) that I couldn't even imagine not having anyone.  I wonder, though, why he didn't introduce her to the family as an Auntie or have her move even closer as a neighbor to be their beloved "granny" next door...just a thought...

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #745 on: November 11, 2008, 06:29:56 am »
  My mom (& father when he was alive) & in-laws play such a HUGE role in the shaping of our kids lives (& I realize that many do not have this) that I couldn't even imagine not having anyone.  I wonder, though, why he didn't introduce her to the family as an Auntie or have her move even closer as a neighbor to be their beloved "granny" next door...just a thought...

K

First ...if your kids have good grandparents they are lucky... my mom is OK with the kids ... my dad is a pig of sorts and was
great with my boys but barely acknowledges the girls simply because they are girls... my FIL is a good guy and my MIL is nuts...
she give the girls too much and at same time goes on and on about how they should have been boys to help their
daddy around the farm... the 11 year old drives a tractor for small moving jobs... and the 9 year old loves going to the
barn and feeding... (my boys are grown and from first marriage and do help my husband with hay and other jobs that crop up )

Second... I had thought of her being an aunt or something and being closer.... but he was probably worried about a slip of
tongue ,,and there would be pictures of him ...and any other family members that ever showed up to see her could blow
his cover...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #746 on: November 14, 2008, 07:41:16 am »
Well, I have been wondering exactly what to do here.  I think there is still some to talk about w/ JOL but no one is really responding.  I think everyone's propbably just busy , like me....

Anyone...anyone...???

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #747 on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:25 am »
Hi Kay,

I guess people are busy...like us. I got the book but haven't started reading it. Do you think we should give it a little time? I know once Thanksgiving hits it will just get crazier. Maybe have it read by the 1st?  I don't know.

Take care,

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

JulieE

« Reply #748 on: November 14, 2008, 08:34:25 am »
You're very understanding, Kay, because it is bz!  But what caught me about the discussion was how indignant we all got about the denial of the relationship between the grandmother and kiddos!  It is interesting because we all cherish family relationships - maybe even more than people who have not had a health crisis (those people tend to think there's always tomorrow to heal a wound, whereas we recognize the importance of the moment).  I envy you Kay, and other friends who have the third generation so close and influential!  I was always a big believer in multigenerational homes, but mine are hours away.  Even Soundy, who has a less than ideal situation still seems to take the learning opportunity: someone has said that "if your parents can't be a shining example, let them be a blaring warning."!  I loved Soundy's
( and my crazy mother in law wasn't related to my kids   :D )
You know what a friend told me was the diffence between the South and the North?  That "up there we put our crazy women in an institution, and down here we put 'em in the parlor to entertain arriving guests!"  I hope my kids have the guts to stick me in the parlor when that time comes...maybe sooner than later ;)
LOL,
Jules

Kaybo

« Reply #749 on: November 14, 2008, 03:34:26 pm »
Mary~
Did you mean Just One Look or the Pizza one?  I was wondering if we are thru with Just One Look??????

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!