Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407756 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #660 on: September 14, 2008, 04:46:05 pm »
Jules - great story!  My hubby is a speed enthusiast, too, and races cars as a hobby.  As for me, I like to have both feet on the ground.  And, I like to live vicariously through the extreme activities of friends - so thanks for letting me hitch a ride!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #661 on: September 19, 2008, 01:07:50 pm »
End of discussion of Black Wave? --- Seems like our discussion of Black Wave is done, so, to keep things going .... shall we go to #2: Just One Look, Harlan Coben (suggested by Jan)?

Someone want to moderate?

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Just-One-Look-Harlan-Coben/dp/0451213203/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221851128&sr=8-1

Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

JulieE

« Reply #662 on: September 20, 2008, 12:51:43 pm »
Things are kind of crazy here in Texas - but I am well into book and thought others planned to discuss more?  Julie

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #663 on: September 20, 2008, 04:14:19 pm »
I was going to add to my last post that maybe it WASN'T time to end our discussion.  Fine with me.   Let's keep talking.

I love the book; just finished reading it for second time.   I guess for me most important quality that both Jean and John express is always keeping a positive outlook, even if you have to meditate and/or think yourself into it.  I'm beginning to practice this outlook, and to read about others doing it is very helpful to me.  I've been around people who are like this -- including John's brother Mark who's been a friend for 30+ years -- but before now just couldn't see myself being positive.  Recently my psych and I have stumbled upon what seems to be a good combination of meds to alleviate my depression, so I can begin practicing "seeing the good outcome."

What about one of my other questions -- Do those of you who are parents see -- and are able to express -- the personalities of your children as clearly as Jean?  I'm not idolizing her and I suspect many of you do, but I find it sort of amazing (I'm not a parent.).

Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #664 on: September 21, 2008, 07:00:54 am »
I have yet to find my copy in the mess I call home so haven't read it yet...

Warning ...do not try to remodel rooms and live in house at same time ...almost done but it has been
a time for losing stuff , as what is suppose to be in living room is boxed and piled in dining room and the
computer desk in here too and the boxes eat stuff...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #665 on: September 21, 2008, 11:55:17 am »
Oops -- I didn't mean to imply (by my misplaced clause!!) that many of you idolize Jean.... What I meant is that maybe many of you parents ARE able to clearly see and enunciate your kids' personalities.
Dana

sgerrard

« Reply #666 on: September 21, 2008, 12:15:49 pm »
Hi Dana,

I don't know about dads, but I think moms do know their children's personalities quite well. I have several times been surprised to hear my mother speaking about my sisters, or my sister speaking about her children, and making observations about their personality that seem far more objective than you would expect from their own mother.

I have always wondered what my mother says about me to my sisters.  ???

Steve

PS: I must confess I have not read Black Wave.  :-[
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #667 on: September 23, 2008, 01:57:35 pm »

Hey there!  ;D

I am popping into the book club totally out-of-the-blue here.  :-\  ;) Sorry to interrupt you- with a morning coffee in hand. I see, to date, that there are 42 pages to this thread… and I am not sure I want to read back that far…

I just finished reading, while sipping a latte in a privately owned small town coffee shop- a book titled How Starbucks Saved My Life -by Michael Gates Gill… I did this based on this on-line discussion forum’s fellow postie's recommendation -made in another thread. However I will not deny that yesterday I read two chapters while sipping a pumpkin spice latte while I was in an actual Starbuck’s store (gasp!  ;) ) as I witnessed, in “real lifeâ€?, what Gill describes. My perspective has been changed by Gill… He is a gifted writer… and truly agree with how his young boss describes him- a “funny guyâ€?.  :D

I found these two posts by my dear ole buddy “Satman Super 8�-
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5312.0
&
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5337.0

But I am wondering do we have an ANA forum actual book discussion thread on THIS particular book going already?

“How does this book tie in to Acoustic Neuromas?â€?    :-\ you might ask?

…Well…  ;D the author has an acoustic neuroma but had no health insurance. (He is in  Watch & Wait) He lost his corporate executive position in his close-to-retirement age- and was left with no health coverage resources - thus his job undertaking at Starbucks - as a barista.  For Gill it was a racial diversity education program and personal experience opportunity he wished he had had in his younger days. He addressed everything from midlife crises, health insurance crises to family crisis ...all in a funny and well packaged upbeat  :) story.

Personally I cannot wait until the film comes out and I do think Tom Hanks is THE perfect cast for the role. I could not think of a more perfect person to play the part in this autobiographical story…

Do we have a thread on this book going? If yes can any of you point me that direction?

I SOOH want to discuss the book with others- specifically those who also have had their lives changed since the discovery of the AN tumors. I will admit that I prefer Peet’s lattes to Starbucks lattes -but I did so enjoy this book. Trust me the story is not really about coffee so much- it is about people.

Cheers (with latte in hand)

DHM

P.S. Here is a link so you can see the book cover (and NO I am not promoting Amazon I just want to give you a "visual" to see) I actually borrowed the copy I read from the local library ...after a long hold wait.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Starbucks-Saved-Life-Privilege/dp/1592402860

Upcoming movie
http://www.themovieinsider.com/m3440/how-starbucks-saved-my-life/

Video Interview with the author
(this looks as though it was a tv news interview and someone just filmed their TV set 8 + minutes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjn-fd-Sz-c&feature=related

This one comes across as a promo- I am not sure if for his book or for Starbucks- it is a bit too polished and comes across as a commercial (You can take it or leave it  :-\ )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBvW2Uuph9g

* My favorite of the 3 videos- a “book talk� he gave at Google (30 minutes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6bhkNJOsrs

Now if I personally wrote a book it would be How Google Saved My Life! Through that search engine I found the ANA, my surgeon, physical therapists… It empowered me to seek knowledge that, in previous generations, was only available to the privileged few.

I wonder if the up and coming film will bring awareness of acoustic nueroma tumors- to the public?

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #668 on: September 23, 2008, 10:19:10 pm »
I read How Starbucks Saved My Life last year, and while I found it very interesting, the author never does say what he did about treatment.

I wonder if the movie will give us this "conclusion".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #669 on: September 24, 2008, 01:59:12 pm »
I read How Starbucks Saved My Life last year, and while I found it very interesting, the author never does say what he did about treatment.

I wonder if the movie will give us this "conclusion".

Jan

Jan,

In his talk he says he is in "wait and watch".

Dear sweet "Mike" could be waiting, lurking here - and reading our dilalogue.  ;)  :D ... as he tries to figure out the plan of action for his tumor.

If he is- I hope that the film will put some focus on the AN and bring some light to the viewers about it. We need more awareness not just to the public but to PCP's.

Cheers (with a pumpkin spice ...mmmm....autumn latte),

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #670 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:32 pm »
I have yet to find my copy of Black Wave and I am beginning to think my dog
really did eat it ... >:(

I started Just One Look last night ... had to restart it again today as what I read last
night didn't stick...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

JulieE

« Reply #671 on: October 09, 2008, 11:00:08 am »
Hi Dana & All,
Sorry I have been out of the loop after implying I needed a "little" more time to finish it...It turns out my poor husband broke his ankle playing soccer with our daughter.  Funny, (well, not excactly funny - but rather fortuitous in timing), his injury came at a point where I can now resume the animal routine, although if I wait till after dark I have that "drunk sailor" stagger some folks on this forum have described (a funny and acurate visual) as I pitch hay around for the horses!
Speaking of drunk sailors, (hows that for a segway?!) I risked not looking favorably upon the book midway through, but John S. redeemed himself with his family and with me as a reader, because the move did take gumption; and they now have a different outlook on life.  They will probably survive whatever is thrown at them.  It is a story about survival that I could parallel with the AN journey, and I especially was touched by their gratitude and thanking the various entities.
Speaking of which - I need to get back to my Thank Yous!
All for Now,
Jules
P.S.  I, too, fell playing soccer and scrapped up my leg last week, but it was a good injury because I was playing soccer!  Woo-hoo!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:29:56 am by JulieE »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #672 on: October 10, 2008, 12:14:54 am »
So, has anyone decided on a new book  ???

Or, has the club disbanded  ???

Who's in charge here  ???

Steve, care to make an executive decision  ???

I want to read  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JulieE

« Reply #673 on: October 10, 2008, 07:37:47 am »
Sorry if I held things up - I'll bow out of this group!
Julie

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #674 on: October 10, 2008, 02:02:55 pm »
Seems like we didn't have many participants on Black Wave -- As Jan said, anyone want to pick the next book...or....what are folks' thoughts? 
Dana