Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407700 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #555 on: August 06, 2008, 01:29:34 pm »
Mary- I have been meaning to pick up a copy of The Curious Incident... for awhile now, so am glad to hear it is a good read.  I'll pick it up next trip to B & N.

Anne Marie - isn't Playing for Pizza great?  You'll love how it ends.  And, you'll want to eat all the way through the book - his descriptoins of the food are just spot on!

Kate B - if you are enjoying Suns, then you would probalby also really enjoy The Bookseller of Kabul.  It is actually a true story of a woman journalist who lived with an Afghan family for the better part of a year. She really explores the lives of the women in the multi-generational family - it is eye opening, maddening, heart breaking and riveting.  It awakened in me a desire to learn a lot more about the middle easter cultures.  It also made me realize, yet again, how very fortunate I am to be a woman living in the western world!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #556 on: August 06, 2008, 05:58:28 pm »
Debbi -

thanks for the "review" of the Bookseller from Kabul.  I've purchased this book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Just finished another Harlan Coben book titled "The Woods" - another one that kept me up to all hours reading  ;D

I'm hoping to start "Suns" within the next few days.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #557 on: August 07, 2008, 07:46:18 pm »
Debbi,

I couldn't agree more about living in the western world as a woman.
I finished the book Suns yesterday evening and felt sad just thinking about how many Mariams and Lailas are living under similar circumstances right now.

I may pick up Kabul. 

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #558 on: August 08, 2008, 07:04:12 am »
Hello All~
The library called last night so I FINALLY can get a copy of "Suns" (I didn't want to shell out $18 for the hardback).  Hopefully I can get it read soon enough - usually that would not be a problem, but today is Emee's b-day and the OLYMPICS start today.  Poor Dave is an Olympic widower - I LOVE the Olympics!!!  We are going out of town next weekend so that should give me time to read, BUT I'll have to join the discussion late as we won't get in until the 18th!

K *excited to get to join the group*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #559 on: August 08, 2008, 07:08:55 am »
K -

glad you found the book.

Happy reading  :D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JulieE

« Reply #560 on: August 08, 2008, 08:08:21 am »
At first, when Steve proposed the 16th I saw that as too far away...but now, with the moon seemingly waxing quickly, I find I have yet to get the book.  I have tried, but living rural, we don't make it out much.  I had gone to ebay in an attempt to pick it up and got side tracked (I am easily sidetracked) by Mario Batali and "Molto Italiano", a good read for you cooks out there!  ;)  So I will pick up Suns when I get my figs later today...
Speaking of literary giants: seems like some of you can eat a book for lunch (or a midnight snack, as it were)! Look for the Perseids on the 12th, and I'll join you on the 16th with my plate of antipasto!
Jules

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #561 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:27 am »
A teacher at school does have the book , but she gave it to someone who gave it to someone
and I am suppose to get it Tuesday  or Wednesday...I read fast if I get into a book so may make
it by 16th  ... if not I will just look on as you all discuss it ...I will  nod and say hmmmmmmmmm very interesting
from time to time ... did snag a couple other books off the shelf in teacher workroom... trying not to
read any of them yet in anticipation of getting hands on Suns...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #562 on: August 08, 2008, 11:32:16 am »
So, Jules - let's have the "low down" of the Molto Mario book!  I love anything about food...  I think you are going to like Playing for Pizza when we get to that one - it's got so many completely mouth-watering descriptions of food... 

Debbi, going to fix myself a plate of pasta with fresh parmigiano...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:46:02 pm by Debbi »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #563 on: August 08, 2008, 12:39:39 pm »
WOW!!!

That man can cook ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #564 on: August 09, 2008, 07:05:09 am »
I had gone to ebay in an attempt to pick it up and got side tracked (I am easily sidetracked) by Mario Batali and "Molto Italiano", a good read for you cooks out there!  ;)  Jules

Jules,
He was here locally and I went after work one day in May to get his book! As you know he wears orange Crocs..He even signs with an orange pen. 
http://picasaweb.google.com/KMBphotos/MarioBataliAtWilliamSonoma/photo?authkey=Dg8nEF1Jz4A#5232501495957467602
(before the MRI making my hair curly ;D)

I love watching iron chef...

Kate
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:08:38 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

JulieE

« Reply #565 on: August 11, 2008, 06:32:29 am »
Kate,
Yeah, I saw on his book that that orange was his sig, but I was not familiar with him prior to getting the book.  Odd: my brther-in-law is a chef, so I had seen Iron Chef - too cool, but I don't watch much TV, so didn't know of Mario's show.  Will look for it now though...
Debbi,
The low down: I picked up the book for a single recipe - a Cherry tart, which I had seen positive feedback from another group.  I tried it Sat. night, taking great liberty at cutting some butter, and used a Muscat Blanc, in lieu of the vin santo he had in the crust, because it lends itself more to light fruits ( we had just come from a lazy weekend on the Guadalupe river and stopped for Fredericksburg peaches at a stand), then used peaches and a Mango jelly and I will tell you - it was much easier then a pie or traditional tart, and we ate it warm Saturday for dessert, then for breakfast yesterday!  Mmmmmm...Can't wait to try some other recipes!

I did get Suns - though, I have been to busy in the kitchen to open it.  Funny: the kitchen is for me a big independance indicator; and as I can't blow much glass yet (right arm not quite cooperating, and who wants to blow glass in August in Texas!), it is also a great creative outlet...Will start book today though!
Jules

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #566 on: August 13, 2008, 05:06:23 pm »
Finally got a hold of Suns and also Kite Runner ... hoping tomorrow will be quiet and I can start
reading ... last few days have been a blur ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #567 on: August 15, 2008, 02:51:39 pm »
Are we still on for tomorrow to discuss Suns?  I am going to be gone all day tomorrow, but will check in on things tomorrow night.  Can't wait to see what everyone thought of the book!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #568 on: August 15, 2008, 02:58:23 pm »
Haven't even cracked open the book - just didn't have time.

Since the full moon is tomorrow and you guys are starting the discussion, I guess I'll just sit this one out.

I'll be back for the next book though, since I really enjoy this thread.

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #569 on: August 15, 2008, 03:58:31 pm »
Since the full moon is tomorrow and you guys are starting the discussion, I guess I'll just sit this one out.

I'll be back for the next book though, since I really enjoy this thread.
Jan

Debbi, Soundy, Ann Marie, Cindy,....

Why don't one of you post the first discussion question....or write your reaction...

Kate
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:10:35 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN