Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407623 times)

sgerrard

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2008, 11:11:52 pm »
How about  A Thousand Splendid Suns, even though Jan has probably already finished it. I just read up on it, and it sounds good. It is by Khaled Hosseini, the author of Kite Runner.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2008, 08:16:07 am »
Hi Steve,

I would LIKE that. I LOVED Kite Runner!!!! I would vote for that.

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2008, 10:02:51 am »
Hi - I'm new to the Book Club.  My usual diversion is logic puzzles that end up as pictures, and other "coloring book" type things - coloring mandalas, kalaidiscope (sp?) images, etc.  I love math, drawing and color.  Calms my brain.

But I've decided to return to reading.  And I have a great book to recommend.  I was told about the book because I'm good friends with the brother of the author -- don't go "UGH" yet!!!  It's a quick read, can't-put-it-down type and very inspiring.  Black Wave by John and Jean Silverwood.  I guess I don't have too much "say", being new the the Club, but I'd really recommend it get chosen as the next book.  It really is a page-turner.

Here's Publisher's Weekly description:  From Publishers Weekly
In 2003, after two years at sea, the 55-foot catamaran sailed by the Silverwoods, a suburban California family that chucked it all to sail around the world, hit a reef off the South Pacific island of Scilly (now known as Manuae), putting the life of Jean and John and their four children (ages five to 16) in peril. The first part of the book is written from Jean's perspective as she opens with the wreck and then moves smoothly between the family's fight for survival and the story of their journey. By juxtaposing the two tales, Jean illustrates how the children's maturity and cohesiveness were not only a byproduct of the trip but also the keys to all the Silverwoods surviving their ordeal, especially John, who was critically injured by the falling mast. Jean wears her heart on her sleeve, and her writing about her marital problems or John's alcoholic relapses is honest. John's narrative is half as long as Jean's, underscoring his straight-to-the point personality and writing style. The saga from John's perspective lacks emotion, but his ability to interweave the story of the Julia Anne (a sailing ship that hit the same reef in 1855) gives an eye-opening account of how much and how little sea travel has changed in 150 years and accentuates the heroism of this family that overcame an extraordinary ordeal.

Here's the review I wrote on Amazon.com:
A magnificently written tale. I got it in the mail after work, and had finished reading it by bedtime. You know that all the family members survived, so it's not any mystery that keeps you turning the pages. It's lots of things. A very accurate description of each moment that engage all your senses. Insightful descriptions of each "character", mostly done by describing their actions. Adventuresome little "marine biologist" Jack is my favorite. All the different ways each of them enjoy living on Earth, as well as how they deal with life. Straightforward and honest. Exciting - besides the final crash, there's storms and pirates and lots of sea creatures. Along the way it was humorous: "If we were going to die, we were going to die with our flip-flops on." (Not meant as a humorous statement, given the coral and the will to DO something, but humorous in spite of all that.) And educational, learning about what it's actually like to 'sail around the world' and learning about another ship that crashed on the same coral reef in the 1800's. It not only got my adrenaline going, but restored my spirits and my faith in human nature.

Here are all 20 reviews written on Amazon:
 http://www.amazon.com/review/product/1400066557/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

As I said in my review,  "It not only got my adrenaline going, but restored my spirits and my faith in human nature."  Although our AN experiences have mostly not been "emergency" situations, I know you'd all find similarities to the way the different family members reacted to the situation, and find comfort.

PS I'm also a big Tony Hillerman "Navajo cop and mystery" story buff, so one of his is another option I'd recommend sometime.
Ciao,
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

JulieE

« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2008, 02:38:48 pm »
[
quote author=Dana link=topic=5989.msg71885#msg71885 date=1217174571]
Along the way it was humorous: "If we were going to die, we were going to die with our flip-flops on."

I think I see their problem:  if you look in the "Sailing Handbook" I think it says you must die in deck shoes and a Rolex!
Just my warped sense of humor - I would love to sail again, but I can only afford to aspire to a canoe right now...

Regarding the book selection, I'm sorry I didn't have patience to look at the previous 35 Pages, so I'm not sure of book selection methodology - but in previous book clubs we made a suggestion list and after we'ld finish one we would put the nextt one in order up against any newer best seller and take a vote.

I'm all for 1K Splendid Suns though...
Jules

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2008, 04:28:02 pm »
Well, I haven't been reading along with you guys, but I've got 1K Splendid Suns sitting unread on my bookshelf - this would be a perfect reason for me to read it.  Mind if I join in?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cindyj

« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2008, 04:45:03 pm »
Hey guys,

Just back from the beach...guess we finished discussing Knitting...A Thousand Splendid Suns sounds good to me, especially as I just watched The Kite Runner this week while at the beach - really liked it and will read that book at some point also.

Welcome to you new book clubbers!  Debbi, hope you're doing ok, I have a ton of forum posts to read, so will check on your progress over on your thread at some point tonight...this was my first stop.

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #516 on: July 27, 2008, 06:37:09 pm »
Actually, Steve, I got a little side-tracked with a book my mom lent me so I never started Splendid Suns - it's been sitting on my bookshelf  ::)

So if that's the general concensus, I vote for it also.  I've heard it's a very good book. 

BTW, I did pick up the book K mentioned (The Shack) at Walmart today.  Figured I'd give it a try at some point.

Anyone want to suggsest a date to start discussion on Splendid Suns?

Jan

Also - great to see more forumites interested in joining the book club  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #517 on: July 27, 2008, 07:00:03 pm »
I say we go for "Suns" since it was mentioned 1st and then maybe do the other one next??  I'll try to pick it up this week...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #518 on: July 27, 2008, 07:28:38 pm »
I will get Suns then if that is what we are reading. I am excited about it!

Welcome new readers...really a nice group here, too!

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

sgerrard

« Reply #519 on: July 27, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »
Anyone want to suggest a date to start discussion on Splendid Suns?

August 16th is a full moon. Does that work?

It is a little over two weeks, so we will have to discuss something in the mean time, to keep Kate happy ( ;)).  Maybe we can work up a list of books in the meantime, like Jules was suggesting. We can start the list with

1. Black Wave, by John and Jean Silverwood, as suggested by Dana.

Steve

PS: Dana, I have also enjoyed some of the Tony Hillerman books.
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #520 on: July 27, 2008, 10:43:38 pm »
A full moon, huh  ???

Been watching werewolf movies lately, Steve?  :D

The 16th works fine for me - and Suns it is.

The book I'm currently reading is a mystery by Harlan Coben.  It's called Just One Look and it's a few years old.  I've never read Harlan Coben before, but the book cover says he's a New York Times Bestselling Author and that he wrote No Second Chance and Tell No One.

Just One Look is very captivating and I'm finding it hard to put it down.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #521 on: July 28, 2008, 06:17:26 am »
Jan~
Sounds like something I would like.  I just finished Tailspin by Catherine Coulter - I love her FBI Series.  How old is 1K Suns?  I thought I might try the library and see if they have it...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #522 on: July 28, 2008, 08:20:51 am »
Jan, I read that book last year - my introduction to Coben.  I've picked up a couple of his other books, too, and really enjoyed them.  Do you read anything by Iris Johannsen?

I'm going to start Suns tonight.  Just finished my last book last night, so ready for the next one. 

Debbi, nose in a book, as usual
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:40:44 am by Debbi »
2.4 cm Right Side AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #523 on: July 28, 2008, 12:48:40 pm »
Debbi -

I haven't heard of Iris Johannsen, but I'll look into her books.  My mom also mentioned that Tess Garrettson (sp?) is similar to Coben and writes very well.

K -

Splendid Suns has been out for a while.  I've noticed it's on a lot of college book lists, so it should be fairly easy to find.

Jan

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #524 on: July 28, 2008, 01:11:16 pm »
Jan, yes, love Tess Garritson, too.  Sounds like we have similar tastes in reading...

I am getting an early start on Suns because one of my clients cancelled for this afternoon and I decided to take off early.  As it turns out, I'm a great boss... ;D

Debbi, getting ready to start Suns...
2.4 cm Right Side AN