Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407622 times)

Kaybo

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #495 on: July 19, 2008, 10:10:46 pm »
Hey All~
Just returned from Baltimore yesterday and found out that I have no internet access (turned DSL off) - AT&T's fault - supposed to fix it Monday so I have been kind of quiet lately.  I liked Knitting Club but definitely liked the others better with 13th being my favorite.  Has anyone else heard anything about The Shack?  I think that is what it is called...I heard that was a good one

Hope everyone is doing well!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #496 on: July 19, 2008, 11:37:33 pm »
The knitting was the common thread that brought them togethere... it could have been any number of
things ...quilting ,painting or even a reading group ... the story just needed something to bring the
group of people together and knitting was it

I'm still on the fence about Gran, though you guys have very valid points about her.

I do, however, totally agree with Soundy's quote (above) about the knitting.  I also liked the little analogies about knitting and life at the beginning of each chapter - I thought they were very clever.

Sorry about your internet problems, K.  I haven't heard of The Shack; will have to check it out on Amazon or something.  I just finished Sail by James Patterson in the wee hours of this morning.  I'm going to start A Thousand Splendid Suns by the author of The Kite Runner next.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #497 on: July 21, 2008, 05:43:14 pm »
A friend lent  me The Shack today... William P.Young is the author... she picked it up at Walmart

From the back cover

Mackenzie Allen Philips', youngest daughter ,Missy ,has been abducted during a family holiday and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandon shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness , Mack receives a suspicious note  , apparently from God,inviting him back to the shack for a weekend.

Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question , "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him.You'll want everyone you know to read this book .

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #498 on: July 21, 2008, 05:45:37 pm »
Soundy -

thanks for the info.  I never did get a chance to look for The Shack on Amazon or elsewhere.  You just saved me the trouble  ;)

Sounds very interesting, but also very creepy.  I'll have to think about this one.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #499 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:08 am »

Did anyone think the knitting was a useful element in the story?

Steve

The knitting club was the venue, the thread <pun intended> that brought that group of people together. Not unlike the ANA support group..in a way. ...we just don't meet on Friday nights....

Gran was the "sage" in the book who had all the wisdom..other than Anita who shared a great deal herself.  I found her conversation with Dakota most revealing. And I loved how she handled the staring by others with Dakota..."you are beautiful and if they are staring for any other reason...."

Relative to James and Georgia...Do you think she knew he was a "playboy" at the onset?  I got the impression that she was blindsighted by his departure from their apartment.  I must admit her not reading the letters seemed unrealistic in light of the fact that she knew about the bank account James set up for Dakota.  Also, being female, no female I know would let letters go unread for that many years....

What did you like about Georgia? What didn't you like?

My two cents from Victoria B.C.
Kate

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #500 on: July 22, 2008, 10:46:02 pm »
I must admit her not reading the letters seemed unrealistic in light of the fact that she knew about the bank account James set up for Dakota.  Also, being female, no female I know would let letters go unread for that many years....

Excellent point, Kate.  I'm with you on this one.  I'm almost ashamed that I never thought of this  :-[

Hope you're in BC for pleasure; not work.

Jan

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #501 on: July 23, 2008, 11:38:15 am »
It occured to me knitting might have been the perfect venue. I  think the title could have been more engaging. However when analyzing what other theme they could have I went through many options. Like any music related club, they wouldn't be able to visit. If it were some art club, it requires a lot of concentration. If it was a book club, same thing. I guess crochete (sp?) would work, too. But you need something where people don't need to concentrate too hard and can visit. My "read" on it.

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Kaybo

« Reply #502 on: July 25, 2008, 08:38:11 am »
Jan~
I just saw Shack in the window at Barnes & Noble the other day (HUGE display) and then I read a little review about it in People on the plane.  I think the thing that kind of intrigued me is that in People it said that it was a Christian work (which People NEVER has & usually doesn't rate up there w/ B&N either), but that ALL people would like it & I think "come away" with something...just curious if anyone had heard anything else or read it.  Thanks Soundy for putting up the review...

K *back from the coputer black hole*

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #503 on: July 25, 2008, 06:06:23 pm »
Hey, I was wondering just this morning if we're done with discussion on the Knitting Club?

Not much "chatter" here.  Are we ready to move on to something new? or am I being premature here?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #504 on: July 25, 2008, 06:48:22 pm »
We can move on (in my opinion)

Should we add a twist to the discussion forum...something like discussing it as we read?  With the internet venue, it might work well.
Just a thought.
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #505 on: July 26, 2008, 10:12:06 am »
I say move on - I really liked the Knitting book (you know I like easy fluff) but it just didn't seem like there was much discussion...maybe it was the book and maybe it was the time of year & everyone's travel plans.

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #506 on: July 26, 2008, 01:09:10 pm »
Hi wonderful people, ;D

I vote move on.

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

sgerrard

« Reply #507 on: July 26, 2008, 04:00:35 pm »
What we  need is another book title...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #508 on: July 26, 2008, 08:59:18 pm »
I agree, time to move on.

I think discussion was slow because of the book, but that's just my opinion.

I like Kate's idea of chatting mid-book, but I'm not sure it will work since we all seem to read at different paces.  Some books I've finished early, some I've barely met the "deadline" - it all depends on what else is going on in my life.  I think that's the same for most of us.

I'm open to anything fiction.  Who hasn't picked a book yet?

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #509 on: July 26, 2008, 09:06:48 pm »
I'm game for anything as long as it is fiction, or I can sit this one out if y'all want to shake it up & do a non-fiction...

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!