Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407751 times)

cindyj

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #375 on: June 14, 2008, 07:01:52 pm »
I think at the very end Miss Winters said she suspected Margaret might be a twin because of her biography about those brothers (forgot their name).  Another thing I need to go back and check on...

Jan, how old are your twins? 

Mary, how are you feeling?
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2008, 10:21:46 pm »
Cindy -

you could be right.  Speaking of Margaret, I was very surprised to hear that she was actually a conjoined twin - I thought that was very interesting.

My twins turned 12 this year (well technically 3  ;)) on Leap Day - February 29th.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2008, 10:39:13 pm »
I guess I missed that they were conjoined - I kind of wondered that once, but was just kind of thinking - not a serious thought.  I have always wondered that about conjoined twins that were not successfully separated - how does the mom deal with that?  Obviously in this case, not very well...and if you had to pick which one would live...glad I didn't have to choose...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #378 on: June 15, 2008, 01:18:49 am »
Just reading those posts, I realized that besides Margaret being a twin, like Adeline and Emmeline were, she also had a mother who was out of it, just like they did. Margaret's mother became distant after the death of her twin, and they never really connected after that. And Adeline and Emmeline grew up without their mother as well, once she was sent off to the asylum. I am thinking they might have been better off with a mother. :)

Do you remember when Margaret first went to see Miss Winter, and was going to leave? Miss Winter called out "once upon time..", and again "once upon a time...", and then the last one: "once upon a time there were twins..." That one stopped Margaret. I have a hard time believing that Miss Winter didn't know she was one.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #379 on: June 15, 2008, 07:30:06 am »
I wondered too if somehow Miss Winters knew that Margaret was a twin ...

Twins can be a stranger breed... mine are close even now at almost 28 ... and though not really bad as he
calls himself is moody... always has been ... they had to be separated at school because they were too
dependent on each other and would decide among themselves if they want to comply with a request as Jan
said hers would do... but still even up into junior high if one wanted(needed ) to see the other he would get
up , leave class and find his brother...

I have always treated them as two people ...rarely dressed  them alike ... had them in different scout groups
stuff like that ...small seperations that were to help them grow ...felt it was important for them to be
known as T and S  not the twins... but regardless of that they are the twins ... and have to see each other from
time to time and I guess always will ...

My sons have  twin second cousins ... girls a month younger than they are ...always dressed alike ,always kept in
same classes together , they wouldn't take a job unless they both could get a job same shift and work together...
they bought a house together and one started dating but would only go if the other tagged along... she married
the guy and they all three lived together in the twins house ... he thought he could adjust and be OK but says it was
nothing to wake up and find the other twin in the bed with them...the girls shared the master bedroom before the
marriage ... the unmarried one moved out a couple month ago to live with the grandmother at the request of
the husband ...now the married couple are fighting because the sisters miss each other... they are a strange pair ...
but they were never treated by the parents as individuals ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2008, 09:42:22 am »
Yes, twins are fascinating.  None in my family, but I've known several sets...I always wished I had been a twin when I was growing up - thought it was the coolest thing.

Steve, good point about both sets of twins being essentially without a mother.  Especially tragic that Emmeline and Adeline's mother was put away for an act done by Adeline.  Of course, the brother is the one that really should have been put away from the very beginning.  So many dark, sad events in this book - yet, it was so good!

...did it bother anyone else that there was never a definite date given for the setting?  I thought at first it was maybe the 1920 or 1930's, but then later it seemed to indicate that it was set later than that...how early did anyone even attempt separating conjoined twins? 

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #381 on: June 15, 2008, 12:06:59 pm »
Refresh my memory...what did Adeline do that that Mom got put in the asylum for??   ???  It's been a while & I have slept and done MANY things since then...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #382 on: June 15, 2008, 02:03:34 pm »
I think she hit the doctor's wife, right...Maybe with a violin??? 
feeling great!

Kaybo

« Reply #383 on: June 15, 2008, 03:04:47 pm »
I am going go back & read that - at the end of the book, it referred to the violin incident and I didn't know what she was talking about...I must have fallen asleep or something!   ::)

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #384 on: June 15, 2008, 09:37:08 pm »
Do you remember when Margaret first went to see Miss Winter, and was going to leave? Miss Winter called out "once upon time..", and again "once upon a time...", and then the last one: "once upon a time there were twins..." That one stopped Margaret. I have a hard time believing that Miss Winter didn't know she was one.

Great point, Steve.  I had forgotten about that.  It certainly sounds like Miss Winter knew about Margaret's twin, but how?  Margaret didn't even know herself until she found the papers in her mother's room.

I, too, forgot why Adeline & Emmeline's mother was institutionalized.  She seemed like a strange character from the very beginning, but was it the violin incident that got her "put away"? or was it something else?

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #385 on: June 15, 2008, 11:59:45 pm »
Yes, the doctor's wife was poking around, and got hit in the head with a violin by somebody thin dressed in white. She was not badly hurt, and later, they were asking the Missus about, and Isabelle walked in. The doctor's wife decided that Isabelle was the person who hit her. The doctor asked some questions, and then told Charlie he was going to put Isabelle in an asylum.

Maybe Miss Winter didn't actually know Margaret was a twin, but suspected it, based on her book on the brothers?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #386 on: June 16, 2008, 05:58:57 am »

...did it bother anyone else that there was never a definite date given for the setting?  I thought at first it was maybe the 1920 or 1930's, but then later it seemed to indicate that it was set later than that...how early did anyone even attempt separating conjoined twins? 

Out of curiosity I looked up conjoined twin separation and found the account of first successful operation
being carried out in 1689  :o ... but didn't become popular until the early 1950s ...many sets before then  were
just left to live out whatever time they had joined together

You still hear about these operations now , but I remember hearing about  more of them when I was a kid... I
am thinking maybe with time even though still rare it is not as much of an oddity ... but I know in the late 60s
ever time a set was born you heard it on the national news... remembering this I kinda thought maybe the birth and
separation was publicized when Margaret was born and Miss Winters remembered since both she and Margaret's
father were both in the business of books... but this leaves the question could the mother and father hide this
from Margaret and no one say anything about it to her before she found out on her own

So figured that Margaret was born maybe in the 50s or 60s ... did it say how old she was on her birthday???
gonna have to do a little re-read ... When reading it through first time I figured that Emmaline , Adeline 
and Miss Winters were born in the 20s or 30s ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #387 on: June 16, 2008, 06:56:46 am »
I knew all along that there was a "big twist" b/c my SIL had said as much (but of course didn't reveal that to me).  I, too, thought that Miss Winters knew that Margaret had a twin so you want to hear what I had figured out?  It is kind of crazy, but would explain a lot...I thought that it was going to turn out that somehow "Hester" was Margaret's mom.  That that was just what they called her and it was really her surname - I don't know, something, & that Miss Winters had found her and found that out.  I thought that "Hester" couldn't handle losing a twin especially because she felt so much guilt for what she had been involved in with E & A.  I know...very strange!   ::)

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #388 on: June 16, 2008, 09:21:21 am »
K -

that's not as strange as it sounds.  It would have made another great twist to the story.

At one point, I thought that Aurelius was going to end up being someone he wasn't.  Maybe like another sibling of Adeline & Emmeline.  I don't know why I figured that because his age was all wrong.  But for reason I did  ::)

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #389 on: June 16, 2008, 09:27:34 am »
Jan~
I had that thought twitter thru my mind too...

Arew we ready for another question?  Who are we missing that hasn't chimed in yet??

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!