Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407708 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #270 on: May 17, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »
Sounds to me like we should continue.  Hopefully at some point OMG will be joining us - and perhaps Kate and Soundy again.  Maybe we could "recruit" some others.

I am busy getting the house ready for sale, but I also need a stress reliever and since I haven't found the motivation to start running yet, reading it is  :D  You guys are all busy too, but since most of us read on a regular basis anyway, it should work.

I'm open to any book suggestions.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2008, 07:00:45 am »
Benn MIA do to life in general...

some thoughts on questions raised ...

Cheating is wrong no matter what is going on in your marriage ... but when you are being beat down mentally
or emotionally by the person who should love you more than anyone else on earth , it can sway you to do things
you wouldn't if the relationship was normal ... my head was turned but didn't follow through with anything by
someone who knew I was in an abusive relationship and thought he could swoop in and rescue me ... he is still a
good Friend and now married with 4 kids but I did have the sense about me not to be "rescued" only causing
myself and boys (now grown but then pre-teens) more problems...glad I didn't let my self be rescued this way , but
can see it happening

I think Marlena was looking for a rescue...I ended up walking off alone after a 20 year marriage ...divorce and walking
away were harder in the time period this was set ... still happened but harder ...

My older sister who is schizophrenic has been married 4 time and pretty much destroyed or damage the lives of
those men... she was on and off medications and has only in last 5 years or so stabilized to a point she has a good
normal relationship that I see lasting the rest of her life...too late for 4 men and the 5 kids she had but didn't raise
any beyond 3 years old

Jacob may have acted differently had he not just lost his family ,his home and walked away from school ... I think he
was in shock and in need of someone and this made it easier for him to fall for Marlena ...

I think had he or the other Polish speaking man had took over Rosie's care and training it would have been better
for her and she would not have become a killer ... but then we wouldn't have a story...

I have a copy of Thirteenth Tale by Dianne Setterfield ... haven't read it yet... it is in my basket of books to read...
going by back cover it looks like it will be a good one ...

I have been reading Mary Kay Andrews books the last few weeks ... all set in the south and kinda woman against man
with some meeting in the middle going on ... all scorned women ... a teacher at school gave them to me to read and I
find them funny but put them in the mindless reading catagory... I can read one in about 2 sleepless nights and don't
remember them in detail after a week is up... not something I think would interest many here... I like to read books
I remember longer than a week

I will try to stop by more ... been having headaches and tying up loose ends at school  ,organizing Day Camp and try to have a
life on the side... guitar and violin recitals were yesterday... oldest girl went state with a Poster titled Where Do We Get Our Food
put on by Farm Bureau insurance ...she won county and won third state wide ... only one poster from each county was sent ...
so 3rd out of 95 was exciting ... not to mention total of $175 in prize money , youngest got Outstanding Musician award at
school ...so we have been busy going to "Thangs" as my husband calls them ... and in all this the fast reading
kinda mindless Mary Kay Andrew books are about all I can handle ...after Day Camp I hope things slow down
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2008, 07:09:59 am »
Soundy -

sounds like your life has been hectic lately, I'm glad you found time to post your thoughts on the book  :)

You make some wonderful points; things that I never considered before. 

The time period of the book definitely has some bearing on Marlena's williness to get a divorce.  As you point out, divorce would have been hard for her to obtain plus there was a stigma attached to divorce back then that doesn't exist today.

Also Jacob's life up until the circus would have had some influence in his attraction to Marlena.  He was alone in the world, young and naive, and Marlena was the first woman who really took an interest in him.

Congratulations on your "prize-winner" - you must be SO proud of her!

Jan   
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2008, 07:30:14 am »
Soundy~
GREAT to hear from you!  So glad you chimed in as you had some excellent points!  It has been busy around here too...congratulations on all your kids' successes!!  I may have to check into Mary Kay Andrews books since we all know I like the mindless fluff!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2008, 08:06:52 am »
The Mary Kay Andrew Books are funny ... not sure the men would think so ... a teacher going through
a nasty divorce brought them in to the book exchange shelf in teacher workroom and a bunch of us
have been passing them around ...

Going to Nashville to see two maybe three doctors today and stopping at big bookstore (if not too tired) on my
way back to check what they have ...only place here to get books is Walmart and they are limited...

Have a good day and wish me luck ... BAHA fight continues ...CHARGE!!!!!!
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2008, 08:44:47 am »
Soundy~
Good Luck & drive safe!!   8)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2008, 10:21:55 am »
Soundy -

good luck with the BAHA fight.  From what I've been told by the ANA, a lot of times insurance companies turn down BAHA requests the first time, but the second time is a charm.  If you run into problems, please contact the ANA for some advice.

My BAHA request took about 5 months to get approved.  The insurance company kept losing the paperwork, etc.

Be persistent!

Jan

Soundy

« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2008, 09:55:31 pm »
Didn't get to book store and BAHA still turned down ...

tomorrow's another day ,  right?
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2008, 05:25:52 am »
I am fine either postponing or moving into another book.

We could take a totally different direction and try something nonfiction...something we could discuss as we are reading because it wouldn't  ruin the plot line.

Take for example the book by Daniel Pink, called A Whole New Mind--Why Right Brainers will Rule the world.

From Publishers Weekly
Just as information workers surpassed physical laborers in economic importance, Pink claims, the workplace terrain is changing yet again, and power will inevitably shift to people who possess strong right brain qualities. His advocacy of "R-directed thinking" begins with a bit of neuroscience tourism to a brain lab that will be extremely familiar to those who read Steven Johnson's Mind Wide Open last year, but while Johnson was fascinated by the brain's internal processes, Pink is more concerned with how certain skill sets can be harnessed effectively in the dawning "Conceptual Age." The second half of the book details the six "senses" Pink identifies as crucial to success in the new economy-design, story, symphony, empathy, play and meaning-while "portfolio" sections offer practical (and sometimes whimsical) advice on how to cultivate these skills within oneself. Thought-provoking moments abound-from the results of an intensive drawing workshop to the claim that "bad design" created the chaos of the 2000 presidential election-but the basic premise may still strike some as unproven. Furthermore, the warning that people who don't nurture their right brains "may miss out, or worse, suffer" in the economy of tomorrow comes off as alarmist. But since Pink's last big idea (Free Agent Nation) has become a cornerstone of employee-management relations, expect just as much buzz around his latest theory.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Kate
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:29:59 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2008, 05:32:24 am »

Yes, tomorrow is here and it is another day! 

Where and what grade do you teach?  I am a teacher too!

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2008, 06:11:29 am »
Kate~
What do you teach?  I used to teach...I went to college to teach PE but then I was interested in classroom and had the AN/stroke.  I taught 1st grade and then 3rd, now I stay home & run after 3 girlies of my own!!

Soundy~
Sorry for the discouraging news...keep trying!  ???

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2008, 08:10:22 am »
Hi Kate,

I lasted two whole years as a high school teacher. That old saying is backwards, and should be: those who cannot teach, do. I was hopeless at it.

I like reading non-fiction my self. However, Daniel Pink's book doesn't sound that appealing to me. It sounds like a lot of new age hot air, suitable for the corporate human resources training tour, but not very practical. A new version of "think outside the box", or something like that. I guess a title that includes "Rule the World" tends to bring out the sarcasm and cynic in me.

Soundy, if you want a big bookstore that is easy to get to, try www.Amazon.com:D

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2008, 08:56:47 am »
I commend all you teachers.  I could never be one - I simply don't have the patience   :P

Interestingly enough, my best friend who is named Kate used to be a teacher.  Different Kate, same profession  :)

I'm not a fan of non-fiction, but if you guys want to pick a non-fiction book, I'll just sit out until the next fiction book comes along.

Soundy, what's the deal with the BAHA?  Please give us some details.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2008, 10:52:59 am »
As I have said before, I am FICTION only (I'm not wasting any more $$ on NF), but I can sit this one out too.  My new theory is one Steve gave me...no books with colons in the title!!   ;D

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2008, 02:50:22 pm »

Yes, tomorrow is here and it is another day! 

Where and what grade do you teach?  I am a teacher too!

Kate

I didn't finish school to teach...life interrupted in form of my four now grown boys...

about the time I could have finished schooling I had my  girls  , now 8 and 10... I had been subbing for
K-3  but haven't since  surgey...   

now I work as teacher aide on a volunteer basis... we lost funding and so lost aides... frees full fledged teachers
to do the teaching  when I go in... several of us are doing it ...I am tutoring at risk kids ,copying , filing grading ...
what ever...

I can't commit to sub all day in a class because I still get knock me on my butt headaches and have to go take
something and lay down... as a volunteer I can leave ... but it would be frowned on if I got up and left a
room full of kindergärtners to their own devises

the last month or so I have been helping with a CP child D... he is as sweet as can be ...love him to bits... he has been
wanting to take pictures and no one would let him... I put the strap of my $400 camera around his neck the
other day and let him snap away... freaked the teachers out ... made for big smiles ... I printed off his pictures today
( mostly feet and butts with a few of whole people)... he is bright but can barely speak .... last year had no
problem because I could hear him well ... now we struggle but get on fine ... I explained to him I had surgery
and the loss of hearing ... he will ask from time to time if my broke ear is better ... he is only 8 ...
I love working with him...

I was talking to a teacher at breakfast about something and said my husband need whacked over the head... D
was eating oatmeal and with out the hint of a smile said "a hammer will work " continued eating ... then winked
at us and burst out laughing and told me to not really use a hammer it would hurt too much use a base ball bat the
almost fell out of chair laughing ...later told me I shouldn't hit my husband with anything that it was just a joke...
he is funny and makes me smile... he is moving over summer ...I have worked with him off and on for past two
years and I am going to miss him not being there next year

People say I am nuts to give so much time to the school unpaid ,  but I enjoy it and it keeps me from sitting here
thinking about what I can no longer do and what I have lost ... it is good for me

sorry about the book
Translab July 2 ,2007